Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mobile takes gun out of mouth

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Mobile takes gun out of mouth
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »
The City of Mobile took the gun out of its mouth and tossed out mayor Sam Jones. 

Predictably local media is aghast.  Shocked.

It's all voter turnout, them whiteys just swarmed to the polls.

Channel 15 wasted nearly 10 minutes with a guy drawing on a board lamenting the "horrible turnout" in two critical wards for Jones. 

Then he posted numbers from a critical ward for newly elected mayor Sandy Stimson and railed about how the turnout boosted his campaign. 

Here's what was wrong with that. 

First, the two wards he listed for Jones had a combined approximate registered voter population of 13,000.  Turnout in those two was approximately 50%.

The oh-so-critical ward for Stimson, the one that showed how massive white voter turnout shockingly snatched this election away from the wonderful and magnanimous mayor Jones?  2400 registered voters. Turnout?  About 50%. 

Well that proves it. 

I don't know why the local media was so in love with Pufferfish Jones and his bloviation.  He wasn't a complete clown like the series of mayors in Birmingham have been but he was terrible enough. 

Heres to change! 

:bar: 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Mobile takes gun out of mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:06:04 AM »
I saw that too, and I simply chalked it up to the general terrible journalism down here. 

I am glad that Mobile is getting a new mayor, though.  Jones has done some good things, but more harm than good.  For example, the GulfQuest project.  That shit will never turn a profit, and the city has invested around $30 million in it.  Can't really hold him responsible for the cruise terminal, but regardless, it is still $20 million worth of debt hanging around the city's neck.  I thought it was particularly shameful that after all these years, and not too long ago talking about how terrible of shape the city is in financially, he came out with a budget that gave municipal employees raises, reinstated discretionary funds for council members, resinstated all kinds of funding to all kinds of things......1 week before the election.  That shit was blatant.

It would work great either way for him.  Either he would be buying votes and win, or  he would be making Stimpson look like shit down the road if he cut some of that stuff out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »
I fucking hate Sam Jones, though I thought it novel when he ran the first time, I soon just grew tired of listening to him butcher the English language and his fucking taxing policies with nothing to show for it. Fucking garbage men make more than cops and only require a third grade edumacation. While most of the first responders are loaded with college debt, a fucking debt-free illiterate can earn more more and have less burden with impunity. I fucking hope Sandy brings in a team of actuaries and uncovers the years of misappropriated funds and the other cans of worms lurking in the catacombs that is City Hall. I hope Jones just goes away never to take credit for something he didn't do. He needs to be preaching on the side of the road in Whistler and fucking take Richardson with him dragging that fucking moon pie in tow.

Tell fucking Jones to call Tyrone.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:10:47 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »
Not even 24 hours after the election, the police chief has announced he will retire.  Everybody already knew the problem areas within the administration and city, but now we are seeing confirmation.  Now we will see who was complacent and "retired on duty".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:01:14 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler