Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wine Tasting: It's Junk Science

Re: Wine Tasting: It's Junk Science
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
Anyone who claims they eat tomatoes for "the taste" is lying.

AMIRITE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
Son, never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 06:05:47 AM »
Son, never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Meant in humor, I know.

I drank. Drank a lot.  Never had to kneel because it doesn't affect me that way.  Don't get hangovers.

I'm better when I don't drink.

I've even drifted back into the "I can have a few and handle it" self delusion. 

My life is better when I don't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 07:08:28 AM »
"There are two kinds of problem drinkers in the world.  Those that drink too much and those that drink too little."
-Winston Churchill
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Ogre

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
Not my business, but that's a dangerous path Ogre.  We "think" we can control our dragons.  That is the lie we tell ourselves.  But in truth they control us.  And they know they way to our souls.

I truly appreciate your sentiment.  I agree with you that it could be a dangerous path.  I had to put "safeguards" around my imbibing.  I also had a long discussion with my wife prior to my first glass. She fully supports me and also holds me accountable. Since I don't travel for work anymore it is much easier for her to do so. 

The weird thing is that I have something I've never experienced before - a cutoff switch.  I've only treaded close to the line of a buzz once and the internal guilt and conviction was too much to bear, so I put it down mid-drink.  This is such a foreign concept to me because my mantra for the first 31 years of my life was to drink until I passed out. 

I promise not to go off on another sermon, but I fully attribute this to the freedom I've found in Christ.  God has fully transformed me from the inside-out to the point where my desires have changed.  I have absolutely no desire to get drunk.  Not even a little bit.  I do, however, enjoy the taste of red wine and one glass or so does relax me.  It's not something I could have done even a year ago.  After much prayer and consideration and a successful trial run where I didn't go full-bore on a 3 day bender, I realized that God has truly changed me into a new creation.

In all seriousness, that is good news. All hope is not lost for you having a couple of beers at an X-Gate again one day (responsibly, if you so choose that method).

Maybe one day.  Although I doubt you guys would recognize me.  This fat face is long gone:

:bowl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »
Meant in humor, I know.

I drank. Drank a lot.  Never had to kneel because it doesn't affect me that way.  Don't get hangovers.

I'm better when I don't drink.

I've even drifted back into the "I can have a few and handle it" self delusion. 

My life is better when I don't.

I think some people can and others can't. Some have to just stop totally. All in how we're wired.

My old man couldn't just drink a couple. It would spiral. Me? I can. Never had an issue. I still only drink something once maybe twice a month. And it's the equivalent each time of 2-3 beers or a glass of wine or two. I may go another month or two sometimes before having another. Just never been an issue for me.

But for those who do have an issue? I totally understand the need to abstain.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
Lying to themselves as well. 

It all tastes like gasoline.

Gonna Disagree, nothing like after a long day, going out, sitting on a patio and a tall cold beer. (Blue moon my preference) or on about the third hole the beer cart lady comes by and you grab a couple for the rest of the round.

Everybody has their own thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
Gonna Disagree, nothing like after a long day, going out, sitting on a patio and a tall cold beer. (Blue moon my preference) or on about the third hole the beer cart lady comes by and you grab a couple for the rest of the round.

Everybody has their own thing.

If it was the "taste" you would drink non-alcoholic beer.  You don't. 

End of story. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »

End of story.

It can be both. Fermented hops combined with carbonation appeals to many. Especially when cold on a hot day. Then at the same time it helps relax or knock the edge off.

You've obviously never had any of dallas' super keen beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »

End of story.

If they made a "non-alcoholic" beer that was worth a damn I would agree but they don't. They make that shit to appease a very small section of drinkers.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

dallaswareagle

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »
It can be both. Fermented hops combined with carbonation appeals to many. Especially when cold on a hot day. Then at the same time it helps relax or knock the edge off.

You've obviously never had any of dallas' super keen beer.

I made my own beer for a while, tasted like crap (non-keen). Tis easier for me to just buy it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »

End of story.

If non-alcoholic beer tasted like decent alcoholic beer that might be an option.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
If non-alcoholic beer tasted like decent alcoholic beer that might be an option.

A friend of mine brought up a point.  Grape soda taste like sweeter more potent grape flavor than any wine does. 

While I'm not in Kaos's boat, I do admit that beer is straight up nasty.  It tastes bad.  Occasionally I can suffer through drinking one.  I did last night because my father-in-law offered me a Guinness, so I drank it. 

But really, the only alcohol I enjoy is bourbon or Irish whiskey neat in a cold glass. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
A friend of mine brought up a point.  Grape soda taste like sweeter more potent grape flavor than any wine does. 

While I'm not in Kaos's boat, I do admit that beer is straight up nasty.  It tastes bad.  Occasionally I can suffer through drinking one.  I did last night because my father-in-law offered me a Guinness, so I drank it. 

But really, the only alcohol I enjoy is bourbon or Irish whiskey neat in a cold glass.

Never got the Guinness thing.  (Wes, you stay out of this)  I've tried several times with an open mind but that shipth is just plain nasty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Never got the Guinness thing.  (Wes, you stay out of this)  I've tried several times with an open mind but that shipth is just plain nasty.

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »

I like bitter things, dark chocolate, greens, black coffee, Kaos, unsweetened tea, red wine, and beer.  Straight up hard liquor, hardly ever touch the stuff.  My favorite hard liquor drink is gin and tonic, which again has the bitter quinine flavor to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »
I do admit that beer is straight up nasty.  It tastes bad.  Occasionally I can suffer through drinking one.  I did last night because my father-in-law offered me a Guinness, so I drank it. 

:thumsup:

I like bitter things, dark chocolate, greens, black coffee, Kaos, unsweetened tea, red wine, and beer.  Straight up hard liquor, hardly ever touch the stuff.  My favorite hard liquor drink is gin and tonic, which again has the bitter quinine flavor to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
Beer snob
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »

Guinness is not even the biggest seller in Ireland. Budweiser has their own plant over there and brew a stronger brew. (at least when I was there late 90's)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
Guinness is not even the biggest seller in Ireland. Budweiser has their own plant over there and brew a stronger brew. (at least when I was there late 90's)

Cause it's cheap as dirt.

See they got this depression on. I got to do for me and mine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE