Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Guys NEVER Turn Down Pay For Play Offers For Moral Reasons

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Guys NEVER Turn Down Pay For Play Offers For Moral Reasons
« on: August 28, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
Unless it's someone not named Cam Newton. Then where ever he ended up playing DEFINITELY was the highest bidder.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23365129/father-of-ricky-seals-jones-says-schools-offered-600000-for-signature

Father of Ricky Seals-Jones says schools offered WR $600,000
By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer
August 28, 2013 1:48 pm ET

The father of true freshman Texas A&M wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones has said that his five-star son was the subject of a pay-for-play bidding war -- a war he and his son elected to avoid by committing to the Aggies.

Chester Jones told Yahoo Sports' Dan Wetzel that two schools -- one SEC, one ACC -- had each offered to double a previous offer of $300,000 for Seals-Jones' signature on a letter of intent, bringing the total to $600,000.

The $300,000 offer is due to be reported in the forthcoming book The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football, by CBS News reporter Armen Keteyian and Sports Illustrated's Jeff Benedict. Per Wetzel's early preview of the book, Jones alleges that "a top-20 program" other than A&M offered "$300,000 in cash, use of a luxury suite during football season, eight season tickets and $1,000 per month for Ricky and $500 for the family."

"It was higher than that," Jones said of the follow-up offers. "It was a lot higher than that."

Jones said he and Seals-Jones declined any of the offers, worried that they would threaten Seals-Jones' eligibility.

At this stage, it's hard to expect any of Jones' allegations to lead anywhere, since there's no claim of improper benefits, no schools named (apparently even in Keteyian's and Benedict's account), and no indication there's the kind of evidence needed for the NCAA to look into the matter. But if you're wondering whether Albert Means-like offers for players still exist in college football's shawdowy underbelly, well, here's at least one parent willing to state loudly, clearly, that they do.

And also, why the FUCK doesn't the NCAA follow up and find out who these schools are???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Guys NEVER Turn Down Pay For Play Offers For Moral Reasons
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »

And also, why the FUCK doesn't the NCAA follow up and find out who these schools are???

Because one of them might be an NCAA cash cow. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
In my best estimation, in order for a bidding war to exist, the player or his representative must participate in the process.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
The only 3 SEC schools that offered him are aTm, LSU, and Auburn.  For that matter, Auburn was never even in the picture.  Whether it was that he wasn't interested, or didn't have a committable offer, I don't know. It was always between aTm, Texas, or LSU. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
I'm sick of this whole charade.  All the people who were clamoring for Auburn to bench Cam and/or for Cam to bench himself and spare the school and fans the inevitable stench that his playing would bring... are the SAME assclowns who now come on TV and say Manziel should definitely play.  Morally obligated. Did nothing wrong. Condemnation of the system, not the player. Nothing to lose. Blah, blah, blah. 

I'm getting to the point with this and the constant deification of Saban when the crap that went down at T-Town Menswear makes the whole Manziel thing look rinky dink -- and yet that is NEVER mentioned -- that I don't even care about the sport.  Don't care what happens. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »
The only 3 SEC schools that offered him are aTm, LSU, and Auburn.  For that matter, Auburn was never even in the picture.  Whether it was that he wasn't interested, or didn't have a committable offer, I don't know. It was always between aTm, Texas, or LSU.
Also, no ACC offers...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
In my best estimation, in order for a bidding war to exist, the player or his representative must participate in the process.
This is a valid point.

And yet, with Cecil it never was at any point about anyone other than MSU. Of course, that's not the way it was reported, but no source, on the record or otherwise, implicated the "shopping around" phrase that became a meme.

Here we clearly have a bidding war.

I'm not saying I'm even 50% sure of his guilt or innocence in this, but the NCAA should look into it, and should damn sure be trying to find out who offered. It is apples-to-apples with our situation, and yet we had a rectal exam for a year.

Of course, they didn't seem to give a shit about MSU, who is the only school that we know offered to pay Cam.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »

Texas is not in the ACC though...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »
Also, no ACC offers...
Actually, those Rivals offers are kind of bullshit anyway. That's who the mods say they got offers from. They vary from site to site, and almost never include every offer they actually received in the mail.

However, MSU did offer. Isn't that interesting...
http://247sports.com/Player/Ricky-Seals-Jones-12471?Institution=21624

Also consider Bama probably offered and then later demanded their offer be revoked on Rivals, as is almost always the case for every player that dares to turn them down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Here's the thing.  I know this stuff goes on. 

I've seen UofA players bring their benefactors into stores I owned at the time and have tons of merchandise (stereos, washers/dryers, furniture, tvs, VCRs, etc.) delivered to their apartments.  That was during the Ray Perkins/Bill Curry years.  I took the payments, I kept the receipts, I thought about using it against them but didn't. 

I was on the phone when a kid I knew was being recruited by South Carolina.  I heard with my own ears when Lou Holtz promised to make sure his momma had a job and a place to live, his girlfriend would get accepted to school there and get a job on campus and that they would have enough "mad money" so they didn't have to worry about anything but him playing ball. Makes me sick to see that sanctimonious piece of spitting crap on TV now. 

I know for a fact what Alabama did for another kid I knew, for his parents, for some of his friends/entourage.  Jobs, cars, money.  I've seen the exchange.  That was Stallings.  And maybe DuBose. 

The whole thing is a sham.  And I'm tired of it all. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
The SEC school is Ole Miss, the ACC school is Clemson. Also, offering a scholarship is different than what these guys are talking about...Rickey Seal's final two were LSU & aTm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »
I'm sick of this whole charade.  All the people who were clamoring for Auburn to bench Cam and/or for Cam to bench himself and spare the school and fans the inevitable stench that his playing would bring... are the SAME assclowns who now come on TV and say Manziel should definitely play.  Morally obligated. Did nothing wrong. Condemnation of the system, not the player. Nothing to lose. Blah, blah, blah. 

I'm getting to the point with this and the constant deification of Saban when the crap that went down at T-Town Menswear makes the whole Manziel thing look rinky dink -- and yet that is NEVER mentioned -- that I don't even care about the sport.  Don't care what happens.

Seconded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Texas is not in the ACC though...
I know, I'm just stating who the favorites were.  And as somebody else said, for there to be a bidding war, somebody connected to him had to have been in on it.  How else would School B know what School A offered?  Personally, I think that the whole thing is bullshit.  I think that he is talking out of his ass for whatever reason, and doesn't realize he implicated himself or somebody operating on his behalf.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
The whole thing is a sham.  And I'm tired of it all.

I was once like that.  I was ready to give up on college football.  It was after the BCSCG.  We hit the pinnacle of what can be accomplished in a college football season, and I looked at the aftermath.  Sacred Auburn landmarks were destroyed.  People were viciously condescending towards anyone in orange and blue.  We were labelled cheaters.  We were the dirtiest program in sports and we were pissing on the integrity of college football's tradition. 

And that wasn't just Alabama fans.  I watched ESPN broadcast it to the world.  I watched David Pollack Tweet that we were going to get hit by the FBI.  I watched Paul Finebaum and Danny Vampire get TV time to discuss the crockpot of bullshit they together developed on air. 

It was maddening and disheartening and infuriating because pictures and stories and evidence of shady behavior was being thrown at Alabama and not one damn word came out about it besides, "Oh you're just another Never To Yield nutjob grasping at thin air." 

But I decided that I wasn't going to let those fucks get me down.  The scandals and accusations and rumors.  Fuck it.  I like football.  I like going to Auburn and eating grilled meat and drinking alcohol and cheering until I'm hoarse as I watch Auburn take the field.  That's what I love to do.  Fall is the best time of the year because of college football.

So when Manziel's story breaks, I don't really care.  I just want football and tomorrow I'll get what I want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
The SEC school is Ole Miss, the ACC school is Clemson. Also, offering a scholarship is different than what these guys are talking about...Rickey Seal's final two were LSU & aTm.

Interesting.  I was guessing LSU and Climpsum
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:25 AM »
Interesting.  I was guessing LSU and Climpsum
That's my best guess...because Ole Miss was "making it rain".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »
Also, no ACC offers...

Of course not.....He's a good player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."