Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Geotagged Pictures Allow for Stalking

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Geotagged Pictures Allow for Stalking
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
Apparently it's a new thing for people to look at data included with pictures posted online.  The data gives them the GPS location of where you took the picture.  So, for instance, if you take a picture of your kid at their home, school, or other locations whether they frequent, then people know where to find your kid.

You can disable this by turning off your GPS services when you take pictures (although this may affect other apps you use), or there are settings in the camera app which will specifically disable including the GPS data in the picture posted online.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

Re: Geotagged Pictures Allow for Stalking
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
Actually, I'm a little confused as to whether there's data encoded in the image itself, or if they're just referring to the geotagging services that Twitter, Facebook, and other sites use when you upload a picture from your phone.  There is a geotagging option in a smartphone's camera app, so it may be encoding data into the image file itself, but either way, it's something to keep in mind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
I am surprised you are giving away trade secrets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »
I am surprised you are giving away trade secrets.

I just like to make it more of an even playing field so that I have a bit of a challenge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
Actually, I'm a little confused as to whether there's data encoded in the image itself, or if they're just referring to the geotagging services that Twitter, Facebook, and other sites use when you upload a picture from your phone.  There is a geotagging option in a smartphone's camera app, so it may be encoding data into the image file itself, but either way, it's something to keep in mind.

Yea I think that's what it's talking about.  I don't see any location tagging on the actual photo file.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
Yea I think that's what it's talking about.  I don't see any location tagging on the actual photo file.

I think it's encoded in the image itself.  At first I also thought that this likely wasn't the case, and that they were just referring to location services offered by social media sites, but then I found this:

https://www.privacyrights.org/geotagging-privacy

What is Geotagging?

Geotagging refers to the practice of adding location information – like GPS coordinates – to different types of media, such as photos.  The location information is embedded in a way that may not be visible to the naked eye.   There are several ways to make geotags visible, including browser plug-ins and software programs that can reveal the location information embedded in photos, videos and other types of media.

In Cybercasing the Joint: On the Privacy Implications of Geotagging, two researchers from the University of California Berkeley investigated how different websites incorporate geotagged media. By examining photos and videos on Flickr, Craigslist and Youtube, they found 1.3% to 4.3% of uploaded media included embedded location data.  Not surprisingly, they found geotagged photos and videos were most often captured through high-end cameras and smartphones (rather than basic cell phones).

It makes sense that the image has the geotag information, or otherwise the camera apps on smartphones wouldn't have a geotagging option that can be turned on or off.  The camera app operates independently from social media sites, so it would have to be encoding the geotag data into the file itself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions