Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

BB coach interviews to begin

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
BB coach interviews to begin
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-to-begin-interviews-in-search-for-a-new-baseball-coach-134730

Baseball coach interviews to begin

Phillip Marshall

AUBURN – As Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs prepares to start the interview process, new names have surfaced as potential candidates in the search for a head baseball coach. Former coach John Pawlowski was fired after his fourth losing Southeastern Conference season in five years.

Former Auburn All-American Casey Dunn is expected to interview for head coaching job

Liberty head coach Jim Toman, North Carolina pitching coach Scott Forbes, North Carolina State head coach Elliott Avent and Oklahoma head coach Sunny Galloway have attracted interest from Jacobs, AuburnUndercover.com has learned. It is virtually certain that Samford head coach Casey Dunn, Mississippi State pitching coach Butch Thompson and Arkansas assistant coach Todd Butler will be asked to interview. Other potential candidates are South Alabama head coach Mark Calvi and Troy head coach Bobby Pierce. It is uncertain how many coaches will be officially interviewed.

The interview process is expected to start this week. It is unlikely a final decision will be made until after Mississippi State and North Carolina State and possibly North Carolina are eliminated from the College World Series.

Pawlowski was dismissed as Auburn head coach after the Tigers failed to make an NCAA regional for the fourth time in five seasons. Pawlowski was 167-126 overall and 71-79 in five seasons. His 2010 team won the SEC West, but his other four teams all finished eighth or lower in the overall standings.

Auburn baseball has struggled since the 2003 team hosted a regional and lost to Ohio State. Steve Renfroe, who succeeded Hal Baird and went to three consecutive regionals, was fired after missing the postseason in 2004. Tom Slater followed Renfroe and was fired after going to one regional in four seasons. Pawlowski took over before the 2009 season.

Here is a look at the potential candidates:

JIM TOMAN

Toman, Liberty’s head coach since 2007, took the Flames to the Big South championship and into the championship round of the South Carolina regional this season.

Before moving to Liberty, Toman spent 11 seasons as the senior member of Ray Tanner's coaching staff at South Carolina. Toman worked a total of 18 years alongside Tanner, dating back to the 1990 season at North Carolina State, his alma mater.

During his time at South Carolina, Toman served as recruiting coordinator and worked with the team's catchers. Known as one of the top recruiters in college baseball, At North Carolina State and South Carolina, Toman led the recruiting effort that landed 15 top 25 classes. Three of South Carolina’s recruiting classes were ranked No. 1 nationally.

In six seasons at Liberty, Toman is 222-138-1 overall and 82-43 in the Big South.

ELLIOTT AVENT

In 17 seasons at North Carolina State, Avent’s teams have played in 17 NCAA regionals and four super regionals. The 2013 Wolfpack won its own regional, beat Rice in a super regional and will play in the College World Series. It will be North Carolina State’s first CWS appearance since 1968.

At North Carolina State, Avent is 648-396 overall and 235-219 in the ACC. In 25 seasons as a head coach, including eight at New Mexico State, Avent is 873-609.

Avent’s wife, the former Amy Barnes, is an Auburn graduate.

SCOTT FORBES

Forbes, North Carolina's pitching coach for the past eight seasons, Under his guidance, the Tar Heels' pitching staff has ranked among nation's top 35 in earned run average in each of the last seven seasons.

Forbes, who also served as a North Carolina assistanf from1999-2002, has played aninstrumental role in the Tar Heels' run to five College World Series berths in the past seven seasons.

Baseball America recognized Forbes as one of the top assistant coaches in the country prior to the 2013 season. Collegiate Baseball named him the Pitching Coach of the Year in 2008..

On the recruiting front, Forbes played in an integral role in landing some of the nation's top talent as every class brought in to Carolina during his time has been ranked among the top 10 in the country.

SUNNY GALLOWAY

In nine seasons as Oklahoma head coach, Galloway has taken the Sooners to eight NCAA regionals, four super regionals and to one college World Series. His record at Oklahoma is 346-181-1 overall and 116-97-1 in the Big 12. He coached at Oral Roberts from 1996 through 2003, going to NCAA regionals in each of last five seasons. His overall record is 638-316-1.

This season, Galloway’s Sooners were 43-21 overall, 13-11 in the Big 12 and lost at LSU in a super regional.

CASEY DUNN

Samford’s head coach since the 2005 season, Dunn took over a program that had suffered through eight losing seasons in the previous nine. In 2012, Dunn coached the Bulldogs to a school-record 41 wins and the first regional in school history. In the Tallahassee Regional, the Bulldogs twice beat SEC power Mississippi State to advance to the championship round. Dunn is a former Auburn All-American. In his second season at Samford, his team won the Ohio Valley Conference championship. The program then moved to the Southern Conference.

Dunn, the first Samford coach in more than 40 years to post back-to-back winning seasons, has a team made up exclusively of high school signees.

There were eight junior college transfers on Samford's 2013 roster.

There were no junior college transfers or transfers from other four-year colleges on Samford’s 2013 roster.

BUTCH THOMPSON

Thompson might be the best recruiter in college baseball. He left Georgia for Auburn and immediately started signing top players out of Georgia. He left Auburn for Mississippi State and immediately started signing top players out of Alabama.

In his fifth season at Mississippi State, Thompson’s pitching staff has been a driving force in the Bulldogs’ run to the College World Series. He spent three seasons on Tom Slater’s Auburn staff from 200t-2008.

Thompson is extremely popular with players and has built a strong pitching staff at Mississippi State.

TODD BUTLER

Arkansas’ hitting coach and chief recruiter since 2005, Butler has been a smashing success in both areas. In his eighth season, Butler has helped Arkansas make two trips to the College World Series, eight regional berths and three super regional berths.

A former Alabama assistant, Butler is in his 16th season in the SEC.

MARK CALVI

Calvi took over as head coach at South Alabama before the 2012 season and turned the Jaguars around in a hurry. After earning the No. 4 seed, their highest since 2008, in the Sun Belt Conference in 20012, they went 43-20 in 2013, shared the Sun Belt Conference championship with Troy and played in the Starkville Regional.

Calvi spent six seasons on Ray Tanner’s staff at South Carolina and was the lead recruiter for classes that led to national championships in 2010 and 2011.

Calvi has relied heavily on junior college players at South Alabama. Twenty-four of 35 players on the roster are transfers.

BOBBY PIERCE

In 11 seasons, Pierce has taken Troy to four NCAA regionals. This season, the Trojans shared the Sun Belt Conference championship with Troy and beat Alabama twice in the Tallahassee Regional to advance to the championship round against Florida State.

Pierce rebuilt a struggling Troy program that had suffered through three consecutive losing seasons before he arrived. A star outfielder at Alabama in 1980 and 1981 and spent five seasons as an assistant coach at Alabama. He built the UAH program from the ground up and had a 276-108 record in seven seasons.

Pierce has relied heavily on transfers. Of 33 players listed on the Troy roster, 21 are transfers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: BB coach interviews to begin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
I'm 100% positive Jay Jacobs won't fuck this up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
I'm really unclear on why interviews are needed.  We have the resumes.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »
Dunn, the first Samford coach in more than 40 years to post back-to-back winning seasons, has a team made up exclusively of high school signees.

There were eight junior college transfers on Samford's 2013 roster.

There were no junior college transfers or transfers from other four-year colleges on Samford’s 2013 roster.

Did I read this backwards?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
It's pretty obvious Phil has lost his proofer...

Or maybe Calvi is really just that far ahead of everyone else.

MARK CALVI

Calvi took over as head coach at South Alabama before the 2012 season and turned the Jaguars around in a hurry. After earning the No. 4 seed, their highest since 2008, in the Sun Belt Conference in 20012, they went 43-20 in 2013, shared the Sun Belt Conference championship with Troy and played in the Starkville Regional.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-coach-Sunny-Golloway-leading-candidate-for-Auburn-job-135164
OU coach top Auburn candidate

Phillip Marshall
53 minutes ago

Comments:12
Add a comment
Oklahoma head coach Sunny Golloway has emerged as the leading candidate to become Auburn’s next head baseball coach.

Sunny Golloway has won 40 or more games for five consecutive seasons at Oklahoma.

Golloway, who was traveling to visit Auburn with his family Friday, interviewed earlier in the week in Atlanta, sources said. Among others the sources said interviewed were Samford head coach Casey Dunn, Mississippi State pitching coach Butch Thompson, North Carolina pitching coach Scott Forbes and Liberty head coach Jim Toman.

Athletics director Jay Jacobs is searching for a replacement for John Pawlowski, who was fired after his fourth losing SEC record in five seasons as Auburn head coach.

In nine seasons as Oklahoma head coach, Golloway has taken the Sooners to eight NCAA regionals, four super regionals and to one college World Series. His record at Oklahoma is 346-181-1 overall and 116-97-1 in the Big 12. He coached at Oral Roberts from 1996 through 2003, going to NCAA regionals in each of his last five seasons. His overall record is 638-316-1.

This season, Golloway’s Sooners were 43-21 overall, 13-11 in the Big 12 and lost at LSU in a super regional.

Golloway was named the eighth head baseball coach at Oklahoma on July 15, 2005. His appointment was made after successful stints on the Sooner staff as an assistant and interim head coach and at to Oral Roberts.

In 2005, Golloway was elevated from associate head coach to interim head coach on May 1 when Larry Cochell resigned. Golloway rallied the program to a 12-6 mark down the stretch and led the Sooners to a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

When Golloway took over the Sooners in 2005, the team was 23-20 with a seventh-place Big 12 record of 7-11.The team won its last three Big 12 series to move its overall record to 35-26 and its Big 12 record to 14-13, good for a fifth-place finish.

Golloway has won 40 or more games six times at Oklahoma, including the last five straight. His 2010 team went 50-10 and played in the College World Series.

As an assistant, Golloway was part of three Oklahoma teams that played in the College World Series, including the 1994 national champions. With Golloway on the staff, the Sooners beat Auburn in the 1994 College World Series and beat the No. 1 seed Tigers twice in 1995 to win the Oklahoma City regional championship.

Born in Springfield, Mo., Golloway grew up in Stillwater, Okla., and graduated from Stillwater High School in 1979. He attended Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Junior College in Miami, Okla., for one year before transferring to Oklahoma Christian College, where he received his bachelor's degree in 1984.

Golloway has done graduate work at the University of Central Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma. He and his wife, Charlotte, have three children - Sunni Kate, 23, Taylor, 17, and Callen, 7.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
FWIW, we hired a softball coach.

Sounds like a pretty good one.

http://www.theplainsman.com/view/full_story/22898423/article-Auburn-hires-two-time-national-championship-winner-as-new-softball-coach?instance=home_news_1st_right

Auburn hires two-time national championship winner as new softball coach
by John Burns / SPORTS EDITOR

Former Arizona State softball coach Clint Myers has agreed to become the Auburn Tigers' new coach

Former Arizona State softball coach Clint Myers has agreed to become the Auburn Tigers' new coach, Athletics Director Jay Jacobs announced Friday, June 14.

Myers led the Sun Devils to NCAA Championships in 2008 and 2011, and took the team to the Women's College World Series seven times in eight years.

“I am very excited to begin what I expect to be a challenging, rewarding and fulfilling life change with my move to become the head softball coach at Auburn University,” Myers said. “This opportunity to coach with my family and to become part of what I feel is a total community family in the town of Auburn was one I absolutely could not pass up.  Thank you for giving my family and me this 'Alabama Adventure.'  We hope you will enjoy the ride with us for years to come.”

While he was the coach at Arizona State, Myers averaged 53 wins a season.

Jacobs set out to find a quality coach with winning capabilities, and he believes that is exactly what he and the athletics department had done by hiring Myers.

“When we began our search for a new softball coach, the goal was to find a proven winner who could help us compete for championships,” Jacobs said. “We could not have found a coach who better fits that criteria than Clint Myers, who has consistently reached the pinnacle of success in college softball. Anytime you can hire a coach who has won two National Championships and been to the Women's College World Series seven out of eight years, it's obviously a huge win for your program.

“No less important is the fact that Coach Myers' student athletes have also been consistent winners in the classroom. I am delighted to welcome Coach Myers and his wife, Katie, to the Auburn family. One of the things I learned about Coach Myers during this process is how important family is to him. That will make him a great fit at Auburn.”

Read more: The Auburn Plainsman - Auburn hires two time national championship winner as new softball coach
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
Sunny Galloway hired!  Another homerun hire!!!

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/061413aaa.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:23 PM »
That's two Slam Dunk hires in one day...Niiiiice!!! Jar Jar Jacobs must be on vacation somewhere far away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
I'm starting to think Bo Jackson is the bagman and Auburns acting AD all rolled into one....or maybe I should say real AD and Jacobs is the acting.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:49:44 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 01:30:59 AM »

I'm guessing Coach Golloway brought his daughter to the meeting today in Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

Who's that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
Not sure what to make of this. Hopefully these guys are just cocks.

Apparently, a few of his former teammates, one in particular, were badmouthing Golloway, saying good riddance, and talking about what a general dick he is. Pawlowsky wasn't Mr. Popularity with our players either, but damn...

@OvertonDillon 16 Jun

All the crap I went through this year/season... But my team helped me through it. Good luck with the new coach boys. #finally #playforyou 👍⚾
@OvertonDillon 12h

@coach_G29 thanks for being two faced the entire time I knew you. Lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs. The program made me
@OvertonDillon 12h

@coach_G29 better...which is something you couldn't do. I hope all the talking behind my back to my teammates comes back to you in some way
@OvertonDillon 12h

@coach_G29 ...You really disappointed me and all my teammates. Good luck at Auburn
@OvertonDillon 11h

@JordanJohn19 No you don't know the story, so don't tell me how to take it. If he treated you how he treated me, you'd say the same thing.

Apparently, he was engaged in conversation with this guy, but all that remains in his TL are the following tweets.
‏@JordanJohn19 1h

First and foremost. I apologize for my tweets last night against Coach Golloway, the University of Oklahoma, and the current players there
@JordanJohn19 1h

Auburn is getting a great man and coach in @coach_G29. He will fit in well in the SEC. Best wishes
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
Sounds to me that somebody is just butt hurt that Golloway left Oklahoma. Idk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »
Golloway's daughter.

Um...yeah...where can you find the picture that isn't edited?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
Um...yeah...where can you find the picture that isn't edited?

Google search Kelli Gallo...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions