Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

More from electronic media data gathering

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
More from electronic media data gathering
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »
[/center]

The Electronic Frontier Foundation sued the Obama administration over claims surveillance of phone calls is unconstitutional and illegally erodes the free speech rights of religious, environmental and human rights groups.

The lawsuit, filed today in federal court in San Francisco, focuses on warrantless collection of U.S. communications under an intelligence program partly disclosed by ex-government security contractor Edward Snowden and later acknowledged by the administration. The EFF sued on behalf of groups including Human Rights Watch, Greenpeace and Council on American-Islamic Relations.

“Any judicial, executive or executive authorization” of the “Associational Tracking Program or the acquisition and retention of the communications information of plaintiffs, their members, and their staffs is unlawful and invalid,” EFF legal director Cindy Cohn said in the complaint.

Intelligence agencies use the surveillance to study the private associations and contacts of the groups and their staff members, chilling their political advocacy work, San Francisco-based EFF said in the filing.

EFF seeks a court order finding the surveillance illegal and forcing the government to destroy phone records it has collected.

Andrew Ames, a Justice Department spokesman, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on the suit.

James Clapper, director of national intelligence and a defendant in the suit, said June 7 that the records-collection is lawful and aimed at thwarting terrorism. The phone-records program and another to collect Internet data are authorized under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a similar lawsuit in June over the National Security Agency program revealed by Snowden to news organizations.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: More from electronic media data gathering
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »
Instead of wasting their time suing the Obama admin, they should sue the companies that make the systems/technologies that do the eavesdropping.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Instead of wasting their time suing the Obama admin, they should sue the companies that make the systems/technologies that do the eavesdropping.

Should Trayvon's folks sue the pistol manufacture?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »

You're an idiot. And suck at root cause analysis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »

Of course they should.  Because that makes the most sense, sue the thriving business owner instead of dealing with the actual problem. 

That's the American way!! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

I think they should sue 'Skittles". Which they prolly will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

Fuck that.  There is no way that we humans are able to come up with the technology so complicated that we can gather that much data.  The Aliens are the ones with the technology and they are the ones providing it to the Obama admin.  It's their plan.  They will help those who will weaken us to the point that we can't defend ourselves and are coming to take over the U.S.  Why the U.S. and not Russia, you might ask, it's because we have the best nuclear weapons and they need those to eliminate all the other countries so they can repopulate the globe.  I have been trying to tell you fools for years about this and you will not listen!  Unless we can get ourselves back to a point of a small Federal Government that is truly doing the will of the people, then lookout.  There is no where on the globe you will be safe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
I think they should sue 'Skittles". Which they prolly will.
boycott skittles - they're all white on the inside
(inside of m&m's are brown)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

No, they should just let Eric Holder do it for them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.