Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Obama=Trayvon

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Obama=Trayvon
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/-obama--trayvon-martin-%E2%80%98could-have-been-me-35-years-ago%E2%80%99--180734663.html

He could not have just left it alone.

President Barack Obama, breaking his silence on the George Zimmerman acquittal, said Friday that many African-Americans believe that “both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different” if Trayvon Martin had been white.

“You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,” Obama said somberly during a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room. “Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”

In searingly personal terms, Obama described his personal experience with race-based prejudice. “There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store -- that includes me,” he said.

“There are very few African-American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me – at least before I was a senator,” he said. “There are very few African-Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.”

So “the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history,” judging “what happened one night in Florida” through that lens, he said.

Obama seemed to pour cold water on prospects that a Justice Department review of the case would lead to federal charges against Zimmerman.

"I think it's important for people to have some clear expectations here. Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government, the criminal code, and law-enforcement is traditionally done at the state and local levels -- not at the federal level," the president said.

He also tamped down suggestions he call a national conversation on race, but encouraged churches and families and communities to discuss issues surrounding the case and urged all Americans to engage in some "soul-searching."

And he called for a review of laws such as Florida's "Stand Your Ground" statute, suggesting that they re-write traditional self-defense rules in a way that fuels violence rather than smother it.

"And for those who resist that idea -- that we should think about something like these 'Stand Your Ground' laws -- I just ask people to consider: If Trayvon Martin was of age and armed could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" the president said.

"And if the answer to that question is at least ambiguous, then it seems to me that we might want to examine those kinds of laws," Obama said.

Over the longer term, the president said, "we need to spend some time in thinking about how do we bolster and reinforce our African-American boys" and to "give them a sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them."
Obama said he wasn't calling for a grand new federal program but suggested he could bring together "business leaders, local elected officials, some clergy, and celebrities and athletes" to find a way to do a "better job helping young African-American men feel that they're a full part of this society and that they've got pathways and avenues to succeed."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Re: Obama=Trayvon
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
I wonder what the reaction would be if I dressed in khaki pants, a dress shirt and a tie and went strolling through Birmingham projects and neighborhoods in Ensley.  Has Obama considered that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »
Wonder why he has not commented on this?

http://networkedblogs.com/NhEv8

If you missed the news coverage we’re here to fill you in.

A neighborhood watch man, an adult carrying a concealed weapon, shot and killed an unarmed teenage boy and was just found not-guilty by a jury after two days of deliberations.

“I just want to say thank you to the people who believed in me, who stood by me,” [the shooter] said following the verdict. “I still have my regrets for the [young boy’s] family; it’s still an unfortunate situation for them. I am happy that at least this chapter is over.”

As deliberations dragged on over two days and the jury asked for testimony to be read back, [the shooter] admits he didn’t know how it would all turn out.

“I was nervous of course,” he said. “You never know what direction this whole thing is going to turn, so I have no idea. But it worked out and I feel that justice (was) served today.”

[The boy’s] family members say justice wasn’t served. They say [he] was murdered in cold blood, that he’d never been in trouble and [the shooter] acted as judge, jury and executioner.

“The message is that we can all go out and get guns and feel anybody that we feel is threatening us and lie about the fact,” said [the boy’s] father. “My son never threatened anybody. He was a gentle child, his nature was gentle, he was a good person and he was never, ever arrested for anything, and has never been in trouble. He was 16 years and four months old, and he was slaughtered.”

[The shooter] says he acted in self defense when he confronted [the boy]…

Shooter (black)  Kid white-Picture in the linky.

The one on the left, in the hoodie, is Roderick Scott, the shooter. The one on the right is the dead kid, Christopher Cervini.

I’m shocked you missed President Obama’s statement when he found out about the shooting, “If the white half of me had a son he would have looked like Christopher Cervini.”

You might have even missed the uproar surrounding the Department of Justice having their Community Relations Services group in Rochester, NY organize demonstrations of white upstate New Yorkers demanding a special prosecutor be appointed to investigate this cold blooded murder of a gentle white boy by a black man wearing a hoodie.

Actually, I’m not shocked that you missed all that news since it wasn’t really news outside of Rochester, NY. Here’s a summary of what happened.

Scott says he acted in self defense when he confronted Cervini and two others saying they were stealing from neighbors cars. He told them he had a gun and ordered them to freeze and wait for police.

Scott says he shot Cervini twice when the victim charged toward him yelling he was going to get Scott.

Based on what I’ve been able to find, the jury reached the correct verdict in Scott’s case just as they did in the Zimmerman trial.

I can understand how Christopher Cervini’s dad could say what he said just like I can understand how Trayvon Martin’s parents can say what they say. It’s called “grief”. It’s also called “denial”.

I also understand why we haven’t heard a word from President Obama, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP or anything about expanded investigations from the Department of Justice.

That is called “hypocrisy”.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:09:01 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
Disgrace of a president.  Disgusted by every one who voted for or supports this clown.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
I wonder what the reaction would be if I dressed in khaki pants, a dress shirt and a tie and went strolling through Birmingham projects and neighborhoods in Ensley.  Has Obama considered that?

You would be beaten. 
I would help administer it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »
“Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.”

:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
This from a FoxNews columnist.

The limits of the law are no excuse for failing to give justice to the family of a dead, unarmed teen who had his whole life ahead of him. It is no excuse for leaving another man, Zimmerman, as a target of hate for the rest of his life.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/07/19/zimmerman-verdict-can-do-better-than-this-america/#ixzz2ZWbt82rw

Yes. By all means, let us ignore the limits of the law and decide all cases based on feelings and outrage and emotion.

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »
Just so we're clear here, the president of the United States of America has publicly questioned the integrity of our court system.

And I really am sick and tired of racial profiling being limited to blacks.  That's patently absurd, and I'm again trying to gather up my jaw from the floor while observing the state of this country.

Quick story - A friend of mine and her fiance went to New York City last summer.  They were training for a half-marathon at the time and thought it would be fun to run through the streets of the big city.  They were going for 11 miles.  Took a bad turn and ended up in an area where every person around was black.  They passed a playground with women standing around while their children were playing.  The women started yelling at my two friends.  They yelled that white people shouldn't be in this area.  Then they told their kids to chase the white people away. 

It's not limited to African Americans.  Statistically, white people may have more reason to be wary of African Americans.  But let's not pretend that this is some egregious ongoing one sided case of racism.

"And for those who resist that idea -- that we should think about something like these 'Stand Your Ground' laws -- I just ask people to consider: If Trayvon Martin was of age and armed could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" the president said.

What the fuck is he even talking about?  Could Trayvon Martin have shot George Zimmerman because Zimmerman was following him?

I don't believe that's what the Stand Your Ground law means.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe the court case would have been similar.  Trayvon was stalked and then threatened by a white hispanic holding a firearm, so Trayvon shot first. 

Perhaps that could have happened.  But no, I don't believe Trayvon or anyone else in any state can shoot someone because they think they are being followed and possibly threatened. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 02:42:36 AM »
Bottom line, if you shoot somebody, you sure as fuck better be able to articulate that you felt threatened.  And you better have a better than halfass reason that you felt threatened, too.  If you're where you're supposed to be doing what you're supposed to be doing, and somebody where they aren't supposed to be attacks you, and you have some wounds to back your story up, you're probably in good shape. 

Obama is a dumbass, and is obviously pandering.  You can't shoot somebody because they are following you in a car.  You can't even shoot them because they have a gun in the car or on them.  If they try to run you over, sure, but you better stop shooting if they are driving away.  If they are pointing the gun at you, sure.  Like I said, you better be able to articulate it, or hope you have some good witnesses.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
Bottom line, if you shoot somebody, you sure as fuck better be able to articulate that you felt threatened.  And you better have a better than halfass reason that you felt threatened, too.  If you're where you're supposed to be doing what you're supposed to be doing, and somebody where they aren't supposed to be attacks you, and you have some wounds to back your story up, you're probably in good shape. 

Obama is a dumbass, and is obviously pandering.  You can't shoot somebody because they are following you in a car.  You can't even shoot them because they have a gun in the car or on them.  If they try to run you over, sure, but you better stop shooting if they are driving away.  If they are pointing the gun at you, sure.  Like I said, you better be able to articulate it, or hope you have some good witnesses.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.   

2014 mid terms coming. Barry and Eric are trying to rock the vote, so yeah, pandering. Why do you think they want obamacare delayed until after the '14 elections?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE