Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Whatcha cooking for the day of our independence?

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Whatcha cooking for the day of our independence?
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Going home tonight after work to get the smoker started.  Boston Butt, pork ribs, beef brisket and a turkey breast will all be on the 4th menu.  Trying a recipe I got from some fellow Xers on the ribs, and I have some good Pilliteri's rub/marinades for the rest.

What's on your menu?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Whatcha cooking for the day of our independence?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »
We were all headed to Lake Eufaula for the annual family gathering.  Every year we leave there going, "Never again".  But we always wind up going back.  This year....since we're getting Noah's Ark type flooding for the next several days, no lake trip.  Which means the usual mundane burgers on the grill will turn into something more like the Buzzer menu.  Ribs and a butt will most definitely be on the Egg.  Happened to see a few tips for baby backs on the intertubes the other day. 

Maybe some of our resident experts like AU1 can elaborate or offer some advice on this. The article I read said to trim the "silver skin" from the ribs before marinating to help the marinade absorb into the meat better and prevent some charring when put on the grill.  (I like a little charring) Also, they recommended adding apple juice to them when slow cooking.

On the butts, I honestly haven't done many on the grill.  Any recommendations?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
The article I read said to trim the "silver skin" from the ribs before marinating to help the marinade absorb into the meat better and prevent some charring when put on the grill.  (I like a little charring) Also, they recommended adding apple juice to them when slow cooking.

On the butts, I honestly haven't done many on the grill.  Any recommendations?

I would get rid of the thin membrane before marinating.  If smoking which buzz seems to be doing, I would cook them for a couple of hours, sprinkle a little more rub on them,  lay them out on a piece of foil and squirt them down with butter and apple juice and let them cook for a couple of more hours wrapped in the foil.  I then usually pull them out of the foil and let them go for one more hour if needed. 

I have never done a butt on the grill.  I would use a charcoal tray thingy or some kind of divider to keep the coals on one side and set the butt away from the direct heat.  Wait, don't you have an Egg?  Why do you not have the smoking plates? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
I would get rid of the thin membrane before marinating.  If smoking which buzz seems to be doing, I would cook them for a couple of hours, sprinkle a little more rub on them,  lay them out on a piece of foil and squirt them down with butter and apple juice and let them cook for a couple of more hours wrapped in the foil.  I then usually pull them out of the foil and let them go for one more hour if needed. 

I have never done a butt on the grill.  I would use a charcoal tray thingy or some kind of divider to keep the coals on one side and set the butt away from the direct heat.  Wait, don't you have an Egg?  Why do you not have the smoking plates?

Because I'm an amychure at teh professional grillz.  Srsly, don't really know what smoking plates are.  I have an idea but never used them.  Me and a buddy did a Boston Butt on the Egg one time, cooking it for several hours on indirect heat.  Tasty but turned out a little tough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
Hotdogs and cornflakes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
Hotdogs and cornflakes.

Doesn't get any more American than that.  Don't forget the beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »
Because I'm an amychure at teh professional grillz.  Srsly, don't really know what smoking plates are.  I have an idea but never used them.  Me and a buddy did a Boston Butt on the Egg one time, cooking it for several hours on indirect heat.  Tasty but turned out a little tough.

This thing.... http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/plate-setters-baking-stones/plate-setter/

Should have been plate and not plates.  The Egg only uses one while the Primos uses two.  I was confused on the two for a minute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

dallaswareagle

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »
Doesn't get any more American than that.  Don't forget the beer.

Pabst-Schlitz-Lonestar-Milwaukee's Best-Pearl-Schmidt's-Falstaff.

A case each-should set me back about $20.00.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

Aaahh...brings back memories of my Auburn days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
This thing.... http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/plate-setters-baking-stones/plate-setter/

Should have been plate and not plates.  The Egg only uses one while the Primos uses two.  I was confused on the two for a minute.

$75.00 for the Plate Setter. Going by the local Egg retailer today to check it out.  I don't know what it's like for the rest of you heathens in your neck of the woods, but it's raining like a broke dick dog here in the Wiregrass.  Supposed to all day tomorrow too.  Gonna' make the grilling an adventure.  Oh well, I'm a trooper.  The masses must be fed.  They're counting on me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »

Aaahh...brings back memories of my Auburn days.

Fucking rich college kids.   :getoff:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
$75.00 for the Plate Setter. Going by the local Egg retailer today to check it out.  I don't know what it's like for the rest of you heathens in your neck of the woods, but it's raining like a broke dick dog here in the Wiregrass.  Supposed to all day tomorrow too.  Gonna' make the grilling an adventure.  Oh well, I'm a trooper.  The masses must be fed.  They're counting on me.

I'm just bringing the smoker inside.  That shouldn't be a problem, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Nope, makes it easier to find your house.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

Just open a couple of windows and turn on the ceiling fans.  It'll be fine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 10:08:57 AM »
Our grilling extravaganza got cancelled due to biblical-type rain.

So, took the party indoors and made braised beef short-ribs over mashed cauliflower.

Fucking amazing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
Our grilling extravaganza got cancelled due to biblical-type rain.

So, took the party indoors and made braised beef short-ribs over mashed cauliflower.

Fucking amazing.

Niiicce.  Went ahead with our grilling despite the flood.  Fortunately, the roof on man-pit extends out enough to get under and stay relatively dry. Got my drank on way too much and I'm paying dearly for it here at work.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
Got my drank on way too much

I figured this was the case based on your last couple of texts...especially the pic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
I figured this was the case based on your last couple of texts...especially the pic.

I texted you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
So...you send Weskie the shower pics, and I get nothing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
BTDub, I thought I had smoked enough food to feed a small army.  Not so much, as it turns out.
We had 14 family members that by my best calculation ate approximately 23.55670 pounds of meat each.

Me...I just ate around 16.325 pounds of turkey and brisket.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions