Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Texas Voter ID Law

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Texas Voter ID Law
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
Thanks to SCOTUS, the Texas Voter ID law is official.  One ID, one vote, bitches. 

I have never EVER understood why this was so controversial.  You can get a FREE state issued ID card at any DMV.  Having ID is so intrinsic to our society today - you have to have one for everything.  I just cannot wrap my head around why requiring an ID in order to exercise your right to one person, one vote is racist or discriminatory in any way. 

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott responded to today’s Supreme Court decision striking down Section 4 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act by implementing Texas’ voter ID law. The Texas legislature had passed that law in 2011, only to have the Obama-Holder Justice Department put it on ice while challenging it under the Voting Rights Act.

Appearing on the Janine Turner Show today, Abbott was jubilant.

“This is a huge win for the Constitution and for equality in this country,” Abbott said. “Before today, different states were treated differently under the Constitution. The Voting Rights Act is the only law that was used to impose disparate or different kind of treatment. Specifically, Texas was called out and treated differently than other states.”

Abbott noted that Indiana approved a voter ID law a few years ago and had that law upheld by the Supreme Court. But when Texas passed a nearly identical law in 2011, the Obama administration used the Voting Rights Act to block it.

“That just showed that they were using the Voting Rights Act law to treat Texas different from Indiana, and that was part of the backdrop behind today’s decision,” Abbott said. The court ruled today that that law was being used “unfairly, illegally, inappropriately, therefore it was unconstitutional,” Abbott said.

Democrats counter that voter ID laws like Texas’ address a problem that doesn’t exist. Abbott disagrees.

“I have prosecuted voter fraud across the state of Texas,” he told Turner. “Voter fraud is real in the state of Texas. It’s been real ever since LBJ won a disputed election for the United States Senate well over fifty years ago. And one of the ways to crack down on voter fraud is by requiring a photo [ID].” Abbott noted that the vast majority of Americans already have photo ID, and for those that do not, the state of Texas will provide one.

Attorney General Abbott also described the decision as a great decision for state sovereignty as well as for voting rights and the state of Texas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
Re: Texas Voter ID Law
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:00:17 PM »
But can I vote if I'm gay? 

Thought I would ask since today is national gay day and all
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
You can vote once but be sure to yell TAH-DAH and do a spin when you are done..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
Assuming it's all accurate, this is interesting information statistically:

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/28/146006217/why-new-photo-id-laws-mean-some-wont-vote

Most Americans are accustomed to whipping out photo IDs at work, the bank or even their own apartment buildings. And their driver's license — perhaps the most common form of government-issued photo ID — has become just as indispensable.

"I get that all the time: 'What's the big deal? I just got my driver's license renewed, it took like five seconds,' " says Larry Norden, acting director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University, which opposes these laws. "Frankly, that's why these laws have been so successful, because 89 percent of the population does have photo IDs."

That leaves another 3.2 million Americans who don't possess a government-issued picture ID, according to a recent study co-authored by Norden.

. . .

Who Are They?

By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

Seniors traditionally have been the most consistent voting group, particularly in absentee balloting. Turnout among minorities has steadily risen over the years and reached a record in 2008 (when the rate of black turnout virtually equaled that of whites for the first time). Also in 2008, turnout of under-24-year-olds reached its highest rate since 1992.

Why Don't They Have Photo IDs?

Many people have multiple forms of identification, including those that display their pictures — like employee badges or credit and debit cards. But states with strict voter ID laws require people to have certain photo IDs issued by governments.

That typically means driver's licenses. But many seniors and many poor people don't drive. In big cities, many minorities rely on public transit. And many young adults, especially those in college, don't yet have licenses.

. . .

"The people we're finding are very poor people, people who never drove — and it's surprising how many people are like that," says Larry Dupuis of the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin, which has filed suit to overturn that state's voter ID law. "They tend to be older people, often women. They also never had a need for a state ID card. There are many things you don't need an ID card for that people think you actually need one for."

Among minorities in poor and rural communities, it's common to bypass banks with their paychecks and rely on cash-checking stores, which will accept most forms of photo ID.*

Many states offer non-driver IDs that can be displayed when voting, often provided by motor vehicle agencies.

But that can create a host of problems for some. Rural residents can live great distances from state motor vehicle offices. And some state motor vehicle agencies have chronically long wait times for customers. In Tennessee, which has a new voter ID law, the governor has raised concerns about whether offices are prepared to handle an increased volume of ID seekers.

To Get An ID, You Need An ID

In most states with voter ID laws, citizens must present birth certificates to obtain new photo IDs. Seniors and those born in rural areas, in particular, face a difficult time meeting the requirement because birth certificates weren't regularly generated in the 1930s and earlier. And many of these people were delivered by midwives, who often improperly spelled babies' and parents' names on birth documents.

If a state does have a person's birth certificate, they often must present a photo ID to obtain a copy. That can put an individual back at square one.

"People are caught in a Catch-22: You need a birth certificate to get this ID, but to get a birth certificate you have to have an ID," says Elisabeth MacNamara, who heads the League of Women Voters.

MacNamara also notes that a birth certificate may not be sufficient documentation for women who changed their names after marrying. States require them to present their marriage licenses or divorce decrees.

* Is it still a stereotype if it's true?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
One excuse in that article is that some young-adult minorities may be college students and not have driver's licenses.  If they are college students and don't have the means to procure a driver's license, then they are likely students at a public school and should thus have a student id from their public college - which is not therefore a state-issued photo ID?

Bullshit excuses.  I'm sure I had to show my driver's license at my local polling place here in suburbia - seems that should be the same in the hood or barrio.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »
One excuse in that article is that some young-adult minorities may be college students and not have driver's licenses.  If they are college students and don't have the means to procure a driver's license, then they are likely students at a public school and should thus have a student id from their public college - which is not therefore a state-issued photo ID?

A public school receives government funds and is "administered" by the government, but it's not quite what you would call a government agency.  Look at small community colleges.  Do you think they have the resources to produce a photo ID to the same standards as the government requires for prevention of counterfeits?

Yeah, our public school system could be improved so that it becomes a source of government issued IDs.  So could post offices.  But the point is that, right now, that's not the case.  Even if it were, those cracker ass cake eaters at private schools would be disenfranchised.   Do you know how hard it is to get their daddy's limo driver to take them to the DMV?

In addition to the above, you have to consider what the requirements are of public and private schools for obtaining a student ID.  Would you need a photo ID for your application to enroll?  Would you need it to get the student ID?  Would FAFSA require it?  Would private financial institutions that offer student loans require it?

I get that the vast majority of people have photo IDs.  I also get that many people who don't have them can get off their lazy asses and go get them.

But for those who can't legitimately get a photo ID for whatever reason...do we disenfranchise them just because they are in a very small minority?

If you believe in nothing but a true democracy in which the majority always wins, then yes, we prevent them from voting just to make the majority's lives easier.  But if you believe that the law should afford people certain basic rights, and that infringement on those rights should be avoided, then I think you have to consider their plight.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:56:50 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
A public school receives government funds and is "administered" by the government, but it's not quite what you would call a government agency.  Look at small community colleges.  Do you think they have the resources to produce a photo ID to the same standards as the government requires for prevention of counterfeits?

Yeah, our public school system could be improved so that it becomes a source of government issued IDs.  So could post offices.  But the point is that, right now, that's not the case.  Even if it were, those cracker ass cake eaters at private schools would be disenfranchised.   Do you know how hard it is to get their daddy's limo driver to take them to the DMV?

In addition to the above, you have to consider what the requirements are of public and private schools for obtaining a student ID.  Would you need a photo ID for your application to enroll?  Would you need it to get the student ID?  Would FAFSA require it?  Would private financial institutions that offer student loans require it?

I get that the vast majority of people have photo IDs.  I also get that many people who don't have them can get off their lazy asses and go get them.

But for those who can't legitimately get a photo ID for whatever reason...do we disenfranchise them just because they are in a very small minority?

If you believe in nothing but a true democracy in which the majority always wins, then yes, we prevent them from voting just to make the majority's lives easier.  But if you believe that the law should afford people certain basic rights, and that infringement on those rights should be avoided, then I think you have to consider their plight.
I get what you're saying, hence why this is even a thing that is being discussed at all. You can't, constitutionally, disenfranchise any taxpaying citizens their right to vote for any reason.

However, I side more with your dismissive aside of "Why can't they get off their lazy asses and get one?"

This is what Al Sharpton should make himself useful for and do. Run an education campaign on how imperative it is to have a government issued ID in modern society, especially in order to vote. It's free, so no excuses. If it's "too far" to the DMV, then these groups should organize buses to take people to the DMV. In my mind, that's one of the few useful things the NAACP could do in the 21st century.

To me, it's not about making the lives of the majority "easier". It's about preventing voter fraud, which without any kind of voter ID law would be ridiculously easy to do.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:55:43 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
This is what Al Sharpton should make himself useful for and do. Run an education campaign on how imperative it is to have a government issued ID in modern society, especially in order to vote. It's free, so no excuses. If it's "too far" to the DMV, then these groups should organize buses to take people to the DMV. In my mind, that's one of the few useful things the NAACP could do in the 21st century.

I agree completely. 
However good reverend couldn't get paid doing this....and he gosta get paid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Thanks to SCOTUS, the Texas Voter ID law is official.  One ID, one vote, bitches. 

I have never EVER understood why this was so controversial.  You can get a FREE state issued ID card at any DMV.  Having ID is so intrinsic to our society today - you have to have one for everything.  I just cannot wrap my head around why requiring an ID in order to exercise your right to one person, one vote is racist or discriminatory in any way.

Somehow you yahoos out there made this a Tejas victory. You can thank Shelby County.

Meanwhile, a liberal abortion lover filibustered your capitol and had thousands in there cheering her on. What the hell?? I sure as hell hope Perry stands his ground with her. What's your take Tw?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »

I agree completely. 
However good reverend couldn't get paid doing this....and he gosta get paid.

There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs-partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs-partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.

I don't think you are supposed to use that word any longer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
However, I side more with your dismissive aside of "Why can't they get off their lazy asses and get one?"

True that.  And I agree that having a photo ID is the most efficient way to deter voter fraud.  I have no problem with requiring anyone to show a photo ID; it's not racist.

But because there are those who legitimately can't get an ID, it's an issue we have to at least consider, rather than immediately dismissing it as baseless propaganda by liberals.  That's why I found the statistics interesting.  It's not all about race, as there are a variety of types of people who don't have photo IDs for one reason or another.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
True that.  And I agree that having a photo ID is the most efficient way to deter voter fraud.  I have no problem with requiring anyone to show a photo ID; it's not racist.

But because there are those who legitimately can't get an ID, it's an issue we have to at least consider, rather than immediately dismissing it as baseless propaganda by liberals.  That's why I found the statistics interesting.  It's not all about race, as there are a variety of types of people who don't have photo IDs for one reason or another.
I find it shocking that a full 11% of the US population don't have IDs and even more insanely shocking that 25% of African Americans don't. One out of every four black people in the United States, not only don't have a driver's license, but don't have any identification of any kind.

You know, now that I think about it, are they saying 11% of the population who are of voting age? I can understand a 13 year old not having any government issued ID card.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »

I don't think you are supposed to use that word any longer.

It's ok, a black man said that, not me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Vandy Vol

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
You know, now that I think about it, are they saying 11% of the population who are of voting age? I can understand a 13 year old not having any government issued ID card.

I would imagine that they're talking about percentages of the voting population.  23.7% of the population in 2011 was under 18, and 6.5% was under 5.  I would think that if they had included those under 18, the percentage of people without a photo ID would be higher.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
I get what you're saying, hence why this is even a thing that is being discussed at all. You can't, constitutionally, disenfranchise any taxpaying citizens their right to vote for any reason.

To me, it's not about making the lives of the majority "easier". It's about preventing voter fraud, which without any kind of voter ID law would be ridiculously easy to do.

Well 49% aren't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
It's ok, a black man said that, not me.
Still can't use it if you are white, black men and women call each other the "N" word & it's ok.
White folks can't use either "N" word without severe reaction from the rev Al and the rev Jesse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

dallaswareagle

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
Still can't use it if you are white, black men and women call each other the "N" word & it's ok.
White folks can't use either "N" word without severe reaction from the rev Al and the rev Jesse.

I said it 40 years ago. Is the X going to fire me?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Vandy Vol

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
I said it 40 years ago. Is the X going to fire promote me?

Yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:43 AM »
I said it 40 years ago. Is the X going to fire me?
Yes.

Just like being in the Army or the current Govt-Fuck up and move up. :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions