Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

MSU Hammer Coming

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: MSU Hammer Coming
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
Two years of probation and loss of two scholarships.

Hardly the hammer drop I was hoping for, but still, the NCAA did not "look the other way".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:01:52 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
Great.  2 more people who won't be going to college. That makes perfect sense.   :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »
So is the easier question "What SEC teams have NOT been placed on probation since Auburn's 2010 investigation?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 12:41:40 PM »
Did they ever detail the incident that caused this investigation/punishment?

In other words, were Bond/Bell/Rogers involved?  Was this in any way related to MSU's attempt to pay the Newtons?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »

In other words, were Bond/Bell/Rogers involved?  Was this in any way related to MSU's attempt to pay the Newtons?

http://djournal.com/view/full_story/22832861/article-Mississippi-State-football-penalties-announced?instance=home_news_1st_left
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »

Unfortunately, that all had nothing to do with this.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9352487/mississippi-state-bulldogs-put-probation-ncaa?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
MSU put on 2 years' probation
Updated: June 7, 2013, 1:32 PM ET
By Joe Schad | ESPN

The NCAA penalized Mississippi State's football program with two years of probation, a loss of four total scholarships, and a loss of four recruiting visits, and cited a former assistant coach for unethical conduct for major recruiting violations.

Mississippi State's cooperation with the NCAA and the fact that Dan Mullen wasn't implicated helped the Bulldogs escape serious sanctions, writes Chris Low. Blog

According to the NCAA, a since-disassociated booster assisted a player in securing a car, provided cash to a recruit on multiple locations and told the recruit if he did not take a visit to another school, he would be paid $6,000.

Last year, ESPN reported that Mississippi State defensive back Will Redmond faced NCAA scrutiny and that a 7-on-7 coach, Byron De'Vinner, said the involved booster was Denton Herring. Also last year, Mississippi State wide receivers coach Angelo Mirando was said to have resigned for personal reasons, but ESPN reported he was involved in an NCAA investigation that also involved Redmond.

At the time, Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen criticized ESPN's reporting regarding Mirando and Redmond.

E-mail communication between Herring and Mirando has been reviewed by ESPN. The e-mails showed constant communication, including the booster suggesting players Mirando should be recruiting.

According to NCAA committee on infractions chair Britton Banowsky, the player involved (Redmond) will be eligible to play this season. Banowsky said the case was serious in nature because it involved a booster who helped bring a top recruit to campus and because a coach had knowledge.

Mirando was given a one year show-cause penalty, which hinders his ability to secure employment at the college level. The penalty would have been worse except the NCAA said Mirando cooperated to an extent beyond what was required. The report says Mirando "became aware of the improper recruiting activity but did not report it to university officials."

The NCAA largely accepted Mississippi State's self-imposed sanctions. According to the report released Friday, the Mississippi State booster also helped the recruit secure a car for $2,000 below the actual value.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »
AUBURN:  Ramsey's most specific allegations centered on Auburn booster Bill "Corky" Frost. Ramsey alleged that Frost had made at least two of Ramsey's monthly car payments and given him steaks to help him gain weight. He also claimed Young had paid him $300 per month. The most damaging allegation, however, was pointed at Auburn coach and athletic director, Pat Dye, who he claimed had helped him receive an unsecured loan for over $9,000 in April 1990.

MSU:  According to the NCAA, a since-disassociated booster assisted a player in securing a car, provided cash to a recruit on multiple locations and told the recruit if he did not take a visit to another school, he would be paid $6,000.  According to the report released Friday, the Mississippi State booster also helped the recruit secure a car for $2,000 below the actual value.

Tell me what the penalties were for each school again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
AUBURN:  Ramsey's most specific allegations centered on Auburn booster Bill "Corky" Frost. Ramsey alleged that Frost had made at least two of Ramsey's monthly car payments and given him steaks to help him gain weight. He also claimed Young had paid him $300 per month. The most damaging allegation, however, was pointed at Auburn coach and athletic director, Pat Dye, who he claimed had helped him receive an unsecured loan for over $9,000 in April 1990.

MSU:  According to the NCAA, a since-disassociated booster assisted a player in securing a car, provided cash to a recruit on multiple locations and told the recruit if he did not take a visit to another school, he would be paid $6,000.  According to the report released Friday, the Mississippi State booster also helped the recruit secure a car for $2,000 below the actual value.

So, is the moral that lawyers in Mississippi are better? But, serious question, how extensively are lawyers involved with NCAA matters on behalf of the university? I don't know the qualifications and/or experience required to be a compliance director, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

noxin

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
Two years of probation and loss of two scholarships.

Hardly the hammer drop I was hoping for, but still, the NCAA did not "look the other way".

Setting the penalty threshold low, just in case any other programs are convicted of major violations anytime soon
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »

Too much money involved now.  Athletic income is too important to the universities, the NCAA, and the state and local governments for the NCAA to do anything serious.  Remember when the Memphis thing went down and people were talking death penalty for Alabama?  Alabama football makes $82 million in revenue and $45.1 million in profits (just pulled those with a google search, no idea what it was at the time) plus who knows how much for the local and state economy through local business (hotels, bars, food) radio and TV advertising and ancillary incomes.  Do you think that the NCAA is going to do anything to damage that for any school again?

If the NCAA wanted to take an SEC school off TV for a year again what do you think ESPN's response would be?  Do you think they would sue the NCAA or the SEC first for breach of contract?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »
Too much money involved now.  Athletic income is too important to the universities, the NCAA, and the state and local governments for the NCAA to do anything serious.  Remember when the Memphis thing went down and people were talking death penalty for Alabama?  Alabama football makes $82 million in revenue and $45.1 million in profits (just pulled those with a google search, no idea what it was at the time) plus who knows how much for the local and state economy through local business (hotels, bars, food) radio and TV advertising and ancillary incomes.  Do you think that the NCAA is going to do anything to damage that for any school again?

If the NCAA wanted to take an SEC school off TV for a year again what do you think ESPN's response would be?  Do you think they would sue the NCAA or the SEC first for breach of contract?

Pffft on your logic and sound reasoning.  It has no place here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
Should've been a larger hit, since the cheating at MSU is rampant, regarding money for recruits. The NCAA should've stepped back and looked at MSU's recruitment of Cameron Newton and everything the boosters were trying to do to secure his commitment (they were the ones on tape talking about needing a large amount of money to bring Cam on board, they have a system, the smaller boosters knew who to call). Skip to two years later, they're still paying recruits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
On top of their NCAA hand slap, MSU just lost their 4* QB, from the past signing class, to the Philadelphia Phillies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs