Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Texas Abortion Law - Split from another thread

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Texas Abortion Law - Split from another thread
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
GH asked me about the crayzee going on in the TX Senate this week.  A bill full of serious restrictions on abortion was fillibustered by this woman from Ft Worth, and then a bunch of crayzee protestors created a riot in the Senate chamber to prevent the Lt Gov from calling for a vote.

Here's the thing:  I have my own personal views about abortion that may seem contradictory to many.  I do not think it should be used as birth control, but do accept the "special circumstances" school of thought. I do not think abortion should be legal after a healthy baby is legitimately viable outside the womb.  But I also resent men and goodie goodies trying to have control over what I do and don't do with my body.

All that being said, the bill itself was bad.  Under the guise of "safety", the bill states that all centers who perform abortion must be 30 miles or less from a major hospital and be designated a "surgery center", with new licensing requirements.  This would close 30 of the 42 abortion centers in Texas, most of which are in poor and low income areas in south and west Texas.  I myself live more than thirty miles from a "major" hospital, and I am not even out in west Texas, where it could be hours to the nearest facility.

I did agree with parts of the bill about banning late term abortions and such, but I cannot stand bullshit backdoor maneuvering.  The head of the pro-life group came right out and said "We are outlawing abortion in this state by closing these facilities that cannot comply."  Well, fuck you, Ms. High and Mighty.  The right to an abortion is still the law of this land, like it or not, and while certain restrictions may make sense, using bullshit means to close clinics and deny poor women the right to an abortion when they are the ones who use this service more often - is just that - bullshit.

As for Wendy Davis, the senator from Ft Worth. She has done this same thing the last two sessions, both previous times with regards to education funding.  Needless to say, I find her to be a grandstander and an attention getter, who openly admits her plans to seek higher office and is using the publicity as a means to an end. 

There are ways to compromise on this issue - and most women like me fall into the same camp - restrict the time period so you don't kill viable babies, don't force me to stay pregnant under heinous circumstances, and oh btw, stay the fuck out of my uterus, you self righteous idiots.  But both sides are so fucking all or nothing that compromise is impossible. 

Flame away, but I've thought about this a lot, especially while  myself was pregnant.  Gives you a whole new perspective about life and choice and other people telling you what to do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Texas Abortion Law - Split from another thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
GH asked me about the crayzee going on in the TX Senate this week.  A bill full of serious restrictions on abortion was fillibustered by this woman from Ft Worth, and then a bunch of crayzee protestors created a riot in the Senate chamber to prevent the Lt Gov from calling for a vote.

Here's the thing:  I have my own personal views about abortion that may seem contradictory to many.  I do not think it should be used as birth control, but do accept the "special circumstances" school of thought. I do not think abortion should be legal after a healthy baby is legitimately viable outside the womb.  But I also resent men and goodie goodies trying to have control over what I do and don't do with my body.

All that being said, the bill itself was bad.  Under the guise of "safety", the bill states that all centers who perform abortion must be 30 miles or less from a major hospital and be designated a "surgery center", with new licensing requirements.  This would close 30 of the 42 abortion centers in Texas, most of which are in poor and low income areas in south and west Texas.  I myself live more than thirty miles from a "major" hospital, and I am not even out in west Texas, where it could be hours to the nearest facility.

I did agree with parts of the bill about banning late term abortions and such, but I cannot stand bullshit backdoor maneuvering.  The head of the pro-life group came right out and said "We are outlawing abortion in this state by closing these facilities that cannot comply."  Well, fuck you, Ms. High and Mighty.  The right to an abortion is still the law of this land, like it or not, and while certain restrictions may make sense, using bullshit means to close clinics and deny poor women the right to an abortion when they are the ones who use this service more often - is just that - bullshit.

As for Wendy Davis, the senator from Ft Worth. She has done this same thing the last two sessions, both previous times with regards to education funding.  Needless to say, I find her to be a grandstander and an attention getter, who openly admits her plans to seek higher office and is using the publicity as a means to an end. 

There are ways to compromise on this issue - and most women like me fall into the same camp - restrict the time period so you don't kill viable babies, don't force me to stay pregnant under heinous circumstances, and oh btw, stay the fuck out of my uterus, you self righteous idiots.  But both sides are so fucking all or nothing that compromise is impossible. 

Flame away, but I've thought about this a lot, especially while  myself was pregnant.  Gives you a whole new perspective about life and choice and other people telling you what to do.
I agree 100% with every word you just said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
The last place government belongs is in a woman's uterus.

Big Gubment = get in everybody's bidness
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
If a baby is healthy and can live on its own outside the uterus, I do think the state has a right to step in.  That's murder, IMO.  That recent case of the "doctor" killing late term babies born alive is HEINOUS. 

It does not take you 25-30 weeks to figure out you are preggers and decide you don't want the baby.  If you want an abortion, get one, followed up by some gotdamn birth control.  But once that healthy baby could live on it's own, you don't get to make that choice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
If a baby is healthy and can live on its own outside the uterus, I do think the state has a right to step in.  That's murder, IMO.  That recent case of the "doctor" killing late term babies born alive is HEINOUS. 

It does not take you 25-30 weeks to figure out you are preggers and decide you don't want the baby.  If you want an abortion, get one, followed up by some gotdamn birth control.  But once that healthy baby could live on it's own, you don't get to make that choice.
:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

Double  :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
I'm with you. I'll go one step further and say that I believe abortion is reprehensible, but I also know that I, as a man, will NEVER have to make that decision. But I do believe that the father should be given the choice to keep the child. If it is the mothers choice to keep and make the father pay, then it should be a choice given to the father also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/texas-republican-rep-michael-burgess-suggests-fetuses-masturbate-article-1.1376894
Texas Republican Rep. Michael Burgess suggests fetuses can masturbate
'They stroke their face. If they’re a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain,' Burgess, a former obstetrician said during a hearing on a far-reaching anti-abortion bill.

BY ADAM EDELMAN / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Michael Burgess, a 62-year-old tea party congressman, made the unusual claim during a hearing on a bill that would ban all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

A Texas Republican suggested Tuesday that fetuses can masturbate, in a logic-defying effort to explain to fellow lawmakers that the unborn can feel pleasure and pain as early as 15 weeks.

“Watch a sonogram of a 15-week baby, and they have movements that are purposeful,” Rep. Michael Burgess, a former obstetrician, said Tuesday.

“They stroke their face. If they’re a male baby, they may have their hand between their legs. If they feel pleasure, why is it so hard to believe that they could feel pain,” he added.

Burgess, a 62-year-old tea party congressman, made the unusual claim during a House hearing on a far-reaching bill that would ban all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Later Tuesday evening, the House passed the bill, which defies laws in most states that allow abortions up to when the fetus becomes viable.

Medical professionals were quick to shoot down Burgess’ assertion.

“Three studies have been done in human fetuses to examine the development of connections between nerves,” Cleveland Dr. Lisa Perriera told ABC News. “We don’t think those connections start to form until somewhere between 23 and 30 weeks gestation.”

Burgess’ remarks were only the most recent incident of a House Republican saying something questionable about womens’ health.

Last week, Arizona Rep. Trent Franks, who wrote the House bill, said he opposed an exception for rape victims in the legislation because "the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low."
:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »

Agree

And there's no doubt she is using this issue as a pawn to further her own career knowing she would have tons of support and publicity in THAT city. It's no secret she wants to be your next governor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
And... right on schedule...

I
t's been a sharp, quick ascent into national prominence for Wendy Davis, the Democratic state senator whose 13-hour filibuster against a restrictive Texas abortion law made her an instant heroine to progressives across the country – and a rising star in Texas politics.   

Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Wendy Davis, the Texas state legislator whose 11-hour filibuster prevented a vote on a controversial abortion law, are engaged in a war of words as Perry calls another special session to hold a vote on the measure. NBC's Janet Shamlian reports.

Her activism has reignited the conversation about her political future which could include a run for governor.  "Of course it forces a second look, but I am not taking that look right now," Davis said in an interview with NBC News.  "Right now, I'm working to try to be very strategic, and a member of the team that has to work very hard in the next few weeks to defeat this bill."

But asked directly whether she would rule out serving as Democrats' candidate for governor in 2014, Davis responded: "I cannot rule that out."

Davis's story is now well-known: the former single-mother-turned-Harvard-Law-grad stood and spoke for hours on end in opposition to a law that would effectively ban most abortions in Texas after the 20th week of pregnancy, and shutter most of the clinics in the state where abortions are performed. Her speech felled the abortion bill after the deadline by which it must have been passed expired.

That fight is about to escalate beginning on Monday, when a special session called by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, R, meets in Austin to work toward reconsidering and passing that abortion law. And all eyes will watching to see how Davis — who has emerged not just as a chief adversary to Perry, but also as a rising national Democratic star — proceeds.

"What I can say is, I don't underestimate at all the power that people have brought to this conversation," she told NBC News in a phone interview. "And I will not underestimate the impact that they can have in the Capitol. And I expect they're going to be there, working hard alongside people who share their values."

The Texas proposal, which is tentatively slated for a final vote in the state Senate next week, is likely to pass this time. Republicans in the legislature will not repeat their mistake of leaving the abortion law until the final moments of their session, the deadline which Davis used to fell the law with her filibuster. (Davis did suggest, though, that she has heard "rumblings" that some state lawmakers might reconsider their votes given the national attention to the debate now.)

Perhaps more significantly, the coming weeks might set the stage for a marquee showdown between Davis and Perry — who is yet to say whether he'll seek a fourth term as governor — in the 2014 governor's race.

Though Davis had previously said she planned to run for re-election to her state Senate seat, she acknowledged on Sunday that the national outpouring she's received has forced her to reconsider a showdown against Perry, or another Republican candidate.

If she were to run, Davis would be riding a wave of liberal enthusiasm behind her candidacy. Progressive blogs quickly hailed her filibuster with hopes that she would run, and heavyweight Democratic groups like the pro-abortion rights Emily's List have encouraged Davis to run in the past.

Davis said that in the days since the June 25 filibuster, she has been inundated with calls from support from fellow Democrats. Governors and senators have called with their well-wishes, Davis said. And House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., who tweeted in support of Davis during her filibuster, sent the state senator flowers the day afterward.

If Davis were to challenge Perry, it could result in a Texas-sized showdown that would upend Republican dominance in Texas. There is already a fair degree of rancor after Perry, speaking last week at the National Right to Life Convention, singled Davis out and, referring to her pregnancy as a teenager, said it was "unfortunate that she hasn’t learned from her own example."

A Republican strategist close to Perry dismissed the idea that Davis could threaten the three-term governor. Democrats have been shut out of statewide elected office since 1994.

"Wendy Davis is not a threat to any statewide office in Texas. She will be lucky to hold her own senate seat in 2014," the Republican said. (Davis's district is one of the few competitive ones in the Lone Star state, and could be redrawn by redistricting set to move forward after last week's Supreme Court decision about the Voting Rights Act.)

The Republican argued that few Texans of any political party share Davis's views about abortion. "It's not a winning hand for a non presidential year turn out election," said the strategist.

Democrats are hopeful, though, that they can turn the tide with a prominent figurehead like Davis at the top of their ticket. Changing demographics in Texas — namely, the growth of the Latino population — has prompted some observers to argue that the state would become more competitive in future elections. And groups like The Lone Star Project have been working to rebuild the state party's aged infrastructure to help Democrats.

As to whether she thinks Perry is ultimately beatable in 2014, Davis demurred.

"I just can't predict that," she said. "Is he vulnerable? Yes."

Two things:

One - using that fucking bitch Pelosi's name as a reference is a guaranteed kiss of death in this state.  A liberal and a Californian - not the best choice, idiot.

Two - as for the comment about how most Texans do not support her position:  if they had separated the two issues - the 20 week ban and the licensing requirement, most Texans would agree with the first and not the second.  I think the pro-life zealots knew this, and made it an all or nothing vote.  But I am not going to let this single issue be the basis upon which I select Texas's next governor, and most of the people I know feel the same way.  Border security is still a major issue for us, as is health care.  I would not vote for Wendy Davis because of her fillibuster, and it is ridiculous for anyone to make her a candidate because of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:06:17 PM »
And I just read that she used a urinary catheter to keep from having to go pee during her filibuster.  I am damn sure that such a thing is against the "no assistance" rules.  So she cheated.

And how's this for hypocrisy?

The filibustering Texas state senator who became an overnight sensation by temporarily blocking a bill banning abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy said Monday that she might try to unseat Texas Governor Rick Perry in 2014.

Would Wendy Davis agree to be the Democrats' gubernatorial candidate next year? 'I cannot rule that out,' she said.

But she may face charges of hypocrisy if she runs for governor. Davis complained Sunday on Meet The Press that Republicans have been using the abortion issue to further their political careers - a charge the GOP would likely level at her if she were to run.

'What we saw in the capitol last week, really,' she said on the NBC program, 'was people who have grown weary of our politicians trying to boost their own political careers on the backs of women by bullying them, and others, honestly, in order to promote agendas that help them personally.'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
But I also resent men and goodie goodies trying to have control over what I do and don't do with my body.

Once there's a heartbeat, it's not "your body" any more. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Tiger Wench

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
Once there's a heartbeat, it's not "your body" any more.

I am not one of Chizad's rental dwellers.  I am the owner.  That does not change regardless of circumstances and cannot be preempted.

I am not going to get into this with you, because you simply don't have the proper perspective to make such a blanket statement from a position of moral certitude.  There is nothing you can do to change my mind, because, again, nothing is ever as clear cut as you would like it to be. 

So if you posted this in your guise as shit stirrer just to get a response, this is as far as I am going.

Have a nice day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions