Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Oh Canada

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Oh Canada
« on: June 21, 2013, 06:13:49 PM »
Looks like Barbee will have a whole new crop of "talent" to work with.  Can't be any worse than the last collection of schleps.  We shall see.  al.kum

Not all of Malcolm Canada's expectations as Auburn's newest point guard are tied to individual success.

The 6-foot-3 guard filled a hole on the Tigers' roster at point guard Wednesday by signing to play for Tony Barbee, a case of good timing for both parties. Canada was looking for a school after a class credit hiccup at Tulane, and Barbee needed a point guard following the sudden and unexpected departure of Jerome Seagears.

He's one of eight newcomers expected to compete for playing time on Auburn's refurbished bench, but he's one of only a few upperclassmen with experience. Barbee's staff has not promised him anything, even if his main competition is true freshman Tahj Shamsid-Deen.

"Nothing is being handed to me," Canada said. "I'm going to have to work for it but he really likes both of us and feels like we can play together on the court, share minutes and feed off each other. I feel the same way. I can contribute to the team with significant minutes with both guards coming in new to the program. I know a lot of people are doubting us but we can."

Canada was very close to signing with St. Louis earlier this month, when it seemed all was lost when a math statistics class didn't carry over from Ellsworth (Iowa) Community College over to Tulane. He signed with the Wave in May, but was released when the school realized he did not meet its academic requirements.

The timing was right for Canada and Barbee, who shared similar needs. Seagears left the program last week, less than one month after arriving on campus as a transfer from Rutgers. Seagears was expected to gain immediate eligibility and start at point guard for the Tigers, and with him gone, options were limited.

"My goal is to help coach turn this program around," Canada said.

Auburn was 9-23 overall last season, and finished a program-worst 1-16 in the final 17 games. The roster experienced a drastic postseason overhaul, which included three players from Auburn's 2012 class leaving the program.

Canada will provide immediate help after averaging 20.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.6 steals per game at the Division II junior college last season. The level of competition the school played has been questioned.

"They criticize it but it's really no different," Canada said. "When we played the top juco schools, we competed."

He points to a 102-90 loss to Indian Hills Community College-Ottumwa, which was ranked No. 3 in the country. He scored 25 points. "They had nothing but Division I transfers on their team. It's really no different."

Canada originally signed with Central Arkansas out of Akins (Austin, Texas) High School in 2011. He was also recruited by Southern Miss and Tulsa.

Canada is scheduled to begin classes at Auburn on June 24.

"It's very important to come in early," he said. "I have two years under my belt. Coach wants me to come in and lead the team. It's important to play pick-up ball, learn how they play, what they like, don't like."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Oh Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »
tl,dr but we don't need foreigners on our team. We don't need to resort to that. I say beef up the border security up there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Oh Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
tl,dr but we don't need foreigners on our team. We don't need to resort to that. I say beef up the border security up there.
I agree. We don't need another pasty white guy from up north coming down here and getting burnt out on the playground, heh!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.