Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Lee County Seeking $1Million From Updyke

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Lee County Seeking $1Million From Updyke
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
This story is from a week ago. Never heard anything about this until today.

http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2013/05/the_lee_county_district_attorn.html

Lee County district attorney seeking $1 million in restitution from Harvey Updyke Jr. for poisoning of Toomer's Oaks (updated)
By Ed Enoch | eenoch@al.com
on May 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Harvey Updyke TrialThe Lee County District Attorney's Office is asking Harvey Updyke Jr. be ordered to pay approximately $1 million in restitution for the poisoning of the Toomer's Oaks.(AP Photo/Opelika-Auburn News, Vasha Hunt - Pool)

WETUMPKA, Alabama – The Lee County District Attorney’s Office is asking Harvey Updyke Jr. be ordered to pay approximately $1 million in restitution for the poisoning of the oaks at Toomer's Corner.

The request, made in a motion filed Wednesday, is based on the cost incurred by Auburn University as it tried to save the oaks and the estimated cost of their planned replacement.

Defense attorney Andrew Stanley said he would file an “appropriate response” at a later date after researching case law, state law on restitution and the figures provided by the district attorney’s office.

“All that will come into play,” Stanley said. “I just don’t, know quite yet where we will end up with that.”

Stanley noted his client was indigent and had court-appointed attorneys.

Currently, Lee County Circuit Judge Jacob A. Walker III has yet to schedule a hearing on the motion, according to court records.

"Updyke is responsible for the damage that he caused," Lee County District Attorney Robbie Treese said. "How much he pays and at what rate are matters for the court to decide based upon the evidence. He will pay what the court orders him to pay as long as the court requires it."

Updyke, 64, pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful damage of an animal or crop facility on March 22 as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors. Updyke poisoned the iconic oaks, which were cut down on April 23, sometime after the 2010 Iron Bowl.

The district attorney’s office estimated the cost to Auburn University and the expenses incurred by the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries for analysis of soil samples was $521,396.24.

The university has spent $89,916.74 for work related to the trees so far and estimates their replacement will cost $425,780, according to figures cited in the motion. The motion estimated the department of agriculture spent $5,700 on testing and soil samples.

The district attorney’s office argues the amount should be doubled to $1.042 million under a statute in the Alabama Code that requires anyone convicted of the offense to be required to pay twice the value of the damaged animal or crop for any reasonable costs of replacement.

Under the plea deal, Updyke received a three-year-split sentence, with six months incarceration and five years of supervised probation. He had 104 days of jail credit, leaving him with 76 days to serve at the time of his sentencing in March.

He is completing the remainder of the sentence at the Lee County Detention Center in the medical pod because of his health.

The REC will likely foot the bill, but this is nice to see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Lee County Seeking $1Million From Updyke
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »

The REC will likely foot the bill, but this is nice to see.

Lee County will never see a dime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:12 PM »

You are wise in the ways of teh poverties.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
Dude was living in a car down by the river. I say take it outta his ass. It's the only way to get anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

noxin

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »

REC will find some recruits they want out of Lee County and distribute accordingly, thereby boosting the local economy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg