Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Homerun softball hire

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Homerun softball hire
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/061413aaa.html

This guy has been to 7 of the last 8 CWS...did JJ leave this hire to one of his assistants?

Clint Myers Named Auburn Softball Head Coach
Myers won 2008 and 2011 NCAA Championships at Arizona State

Clint Myers is the second coach in Auburn softball history. Myers posted a 427-102 record in eight seasons at Arizona State.

June 14, 2013
Auburn, Ala. -

Clint Myers, who led Arizona State to two NCAA Championships, has been named Auburn softball’s second head coach in program history, Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs announced Friday. In eight years at the helm of the Sun Devil program, Myers took seven trips to the Women’s College World Series.

Myers captained the Sun Devils to national titles in 2008 and 2011 and made the trip to Oklahoma City seven times in eight years. In his only miss of the WCWS, he took ASU to an NCAA Super Regional. Under his guidance, ASU has averaged 53 wins per season, including 60-plus wins twice. He became the third coach in Sun Devil softball history to amass 400 victories.

“I am very excited to begin what I expect to be a challenging, rewarding and fulfilling life change with my move to become the Head Softball Coach at Auburn University,” Myers said. “This opportunity to coach with my family and to become part of what I feel is a total community family in the town of Auburn was one I absolutely could not pass up.  Thank you for giving me and my family this “Alabama Adventure”.  We hope that you will enjoy the ride with us for years to come.”

The Bismarck, N.D., native has also led his teams to great success off the field, twice being honored in the top 10 percent in APR scores among NCAA softball teams. ASU softball was recognized for the four-year cohort ending in 2010-11 and 2009-10, with a 2011 compiled score of 998.

"When we began our search for a new softball coach, the goal was to find a proven winner who could help us compete for championships," Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. "We could not have found a coach who better fits that criteria than Clint Myers, who has consistently reached the pinnacle of success in college softball. Anytime you can hire a coach who has won two National Championships and been to the Women's College World Series seven out of eight years, it's obviously a huge win for your program. No less important is the fact that Coach Myers' student-athletes have also been consistent winners in the classroom. I am delighted to welcome Coach Myers and his wife, Katie, to the Auburn family. One of the things I learned about Coach Myers during this process is how important family is to him. That will make him a great fit at Auburn."

Prior to his stint at ASU, Myers spent 19 highly successful years coaching Central Arizona College’s baseball and softball teams. From 1996-2005, he was the head baseball coach where he took the Vaqueros’ to the Junior College World Series twice, winning the NJCAA National Championship in 2002. Myers posted a 406-192 record (.678 winning pct.) at Central Arizona College and earned the NJCAA Coach of the Year award in 2002.
From 1987-95, Myers built a record of 481-43 (.917 winning pct.) as the skipper of the softball team. With softball, he won six national titles including a string of five straight from 1988-1992. He was named the NJCAA national coach of the year on six occasions. Myers was also selected as the National Softball Coaches Association (NSCA) regional and National Coach of the Year in 1990, 1991 and 1992.

Myers was inducted into the NJCAA Softball Hall of Fame in 1998 and the Arizona Softball Foundation Hall of Fame in 2001.

A 1976 graduate of Arizona State, Myers was a member of the Sun Devil baseball team from 1970-73 and played on the College World Series runner-up squads in 1972 and 1973. He was later selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round of the 1973 Major League Draft.

Myers and his wife, Katie, have two sons, Casey and Corey. They also have three grandchildren; grandsons, Cole and Christian, and granddaughter, Carlee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Homerun softball hire
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
We've got a girl's softball team?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
We've got a girl's softball team?
They've got uniforms and everything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
Damn, I can't believe we landed this guy.  The softball program just took a huge step forward.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
Brittney and Nicole and Jennifer and Wendy are all going to play so much better now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
According to ABC 33/40 in bammerham, Coach Myers said, "My goal is to make Pat Murphy's life miserable".

I like him already!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:27:12 PM »
In football terms this is like Kansas City hiring Belechik (how do you spell his name)? 

It's like Arkansas hiring Bobby Bowden (in his prime). 

In baseball terms this is like the Milwaukee Brewers hiring Bobby Cox in the middle of the 90s. 

He's as good as there is.  If you're making a list of the top five softball coaches in the country, he's there.  If you're making a list of the top five softball coaches in history, he's there. 

Big hire. 

And then Jacobs followed that up by hiring Boobs Galloway to run the baseball program.  Another major hire.  Easily in the top ten baseball coaches in the country right now. 

I don't know what to say except we need to keep Jacobs scared of losing his job. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.