Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wrong Way Fish

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Wrong Way Fish
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »
Smoked Alaskan Salmon pic from one of the groups on FBz.

Kurt Weinberg

smoking meat low and slow

Yesterday
Maple smoked salmon (Straight from Alaska, thanks Jim!!!)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:28:33 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:00:07 AM »
I use a cast iron skillet for my salmon like THS and AUT2.       
Picked it up from some fancy chef out of the old Birmingham Magazine in the nineties.

* Was also barraged with salmon patties as a youngster.
Anyway, the following recipe for sauce is served at the French Laundry and I add 3 TBL of orange marmalade to mine. No complaints yet!

Orange Juice Sauce Recipe for Fish
Ingredients

1 cup orange juice
2 tbs soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons butter
Procedure

Reduce the orange juice in a small pot for 15-20 minutes or until the juice is reduced by half. Add the soy sauce and swirl in the butter. Serve warm.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:04:07 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
What's the purpose of cedar planks.  Do they give it a certain flavor or is that just a particular wood that works better.

To me it gives it a cedar smoke taste that I like and you don't have to fool with flipping the fish.

Plus I have all the free cedar I can use.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

JR4AU

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
Never liked Salmon.  Looks tasty as hell.  Ought to be.  Could not get what everybody loved about it.  People look at you funny when you say you don't like it.  Everybody likes it they say.  I don't, and finally a judge I know said the same thing.  He didn't get it either.  He said, "It looks good, but you simply cannot cook the Salmon taste out of it!"  My thoughts exactly, until...

I was at Surin 280, and ordering my Sashimi, and was pondering what else I wanted after the Maguro (Tuna).  The waiter suggested Salmon, and I told him I hated it.  Asked me if I'd ever eaten it sashimi.  Nope.  I tried it.  I loved it.  So, judge was wrong.  Cooking intensifies the flavor and I don't like it.  I love it raw, and eat it frequently like that.     
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:08:35 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
Never liked Salmon.  Looks tasty as hell.  Ought to be.  Could not get what everybody loved about it.  People look at you funny when you say you don't like it.  Everybody likes it they say.  I don't, and finally a judge I know said the same thing.  He didn't get it either.  He said, "It looks good, but you simply cannot cook the Salmon taste out of it!"  My thoughts exactly, until...

I was at Surin 280, and ordering my Sashimi, and was pondering what else I wanted after the Maguro (Tuna).  The waiter suggested Salmon, and I told him I hated it.  Asked me if I'd ever eaten it sashimi.  Nope.  I tried it.  I loved it.  So, judge was wrong.  Cooking intensifies the flavor and I don't like it.  I love it raw, and eat it frequently like that.   

Be careful...I understand you can get a virus from that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »

I don't like salmon either. It, along with liver, are my kryptonite.

A few weeks ago, I went to one of those Chinese, Japanese - fuck it, they all look alike - restaurants, and tried that salmon sashimi. I didn't care for it either.

I'll eat the fuck out of trout or practically any other species of fish, but I just can't hang with salmon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »
Ate the salmon from the original recipe in this thread last night.  I'm like several of you in that salmon, for the most part, just doesn't appeal to me.  Most times, it has that very distinct flavor that you either love or can't stand.  For some reason, that particular recipe seems to overpower that flavor and it's pretty dang skippy. I think you have to start with the Pube-Licks bourbon glazed version though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »
Best fish in the world is Halibut.  I'm not talking that North Atlantic shit either.  I'm talking cold water North Pacific off the coast of Alaska Halibut.  It is the God Tier fish compared to the rest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Best fish in the world is Halibut.  I'm not talking that North Atlantic shit either.  I'm talking cold water North Pacific off the coast of Alaska Halibut.  It is the God Tier fish compared to the rest.

All I said after a lovely dinner was that piece of Halibut was good enough for Jehovah.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
Look, I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was: "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
Look, I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was: "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."

Okay fine, I was going off memory.  But you just go ahead and impress everybody with your word for word quotes there, Googlemaster. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
Okay fine, I was going off memory.  But you just go ahead and impress everybody with your word for word quotes there, Googlemaster.
Ha! I didn't realize you had posted that. In my defense, I had mine started and was interrupted by a phone call before I could mash the magical postey button.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »

Not gonna dispute what you say, but a good size Chilean Sea bass steak, (with or without stuffed with fresh crab) is hard to beat. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Ha! I didn't realize you had posted that. In my defense, I had mine started and was interrupted by a phone call before I could mash the magical postey button.

I think it's funny that I can't hear the word halibut without thinking of that skit.

Aaaarre there any women here today?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
I think it's funny that I can't hear the word halibut without thinking of that skit.

Aaaarre there any women here today?
I know what you mean. This skit, or the line from the 3 Stooges where Curly is telling Moe that he once sang in a fish market quartet. Moe asked if he made any money from it, and Curly replied, "No, we sang for the halibut!"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
Not big on salmon either. Caught these this morn and will blacken on the grill this evening.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »
Not big on salmon either. Caught these this morn and will blacken on the grill this evening.

Oh snap....per. That's a damn fine looking haul.  How long is the season this year?  2 days?

Trying to get up a trip in 3 weeks. I need to look and see if snapper will still be in.  They have really cut fishing for snapper to about null and void.

And blackened?   :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Oh snap....per. That's a damn fine looking haul.  How long is the season this year?  2 days?

Trying to get up a trip in 3 weeks. I need to look and see if snapper will still be in.  They have really cut fishing for snapper to about null and void.

And blackened?   :thumsup:
Season open through July 14. Actually will give some over lap into grouper season. The snapper are every where. Left Pensacola Bch dock at 8 am. Beers and cocktauis prepared and lines wet at 9:30 had 7, including a 38 inch, on board by 10:15. 7 fishers so only had 14 limit and we hadn't even finished our 1st beers. So we rode slow for couple more hours caught a few more and finished up at 1st hole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
Season open through July 14. Actually will give some over lap into grouper season. The snapper are every where. Left Pensacola Bch dock at 8 am. Beers and cocktauis prepared and lines wet at 9:30 had 7, including a 38 inch, on board by 10:15. 7 fishers so only had 14 limit and we hadn't even finished our 1st beers. So we rode slow for couple more hours caught a few more and finished up at 1st hole.

So 2 is the limit?  I would imagine as much as they've been regulated the past few years, they should be plentiful.  The boat Captains have been singing the blues...at least the few I've talked to.  Good to hear it's through 7-14.  I feel better about our trip.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »

Now that is some good eating.  Grouper #1 fish in my book, then Snapper.  Flounder is good too, as are speckled trout.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions