Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wrong Way Fish

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Wrong Way Fish
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
Anyone love the flavor of the fish who just has to go against the grain....salmon?  Hey stupid fish, it's much easier to go WITH the current and the bears can't get you if you do that and stop jumping.....but I digress.

Never been a huge fan of the salmon.  Those fried salmon patties were a staple of our diet growing up since my moms cooked them all the time.  Okay with ketchup but they stink the place up for hours.  Found something simple and incredibly good at of all places, Pube-Licks.  As I've said earlier, finding fresh fish is really tough when your choices are limited to Publix and Winn Dixie for the most part.  But we found some "Bourbon Glazed Salmon" filets at Publix that are pretty darn skippy.

Quick, easy recipe and cooking time.  The filets already have a good seasoning but we mix up some soy and brown sugar, pour that over the filet, wrap it in foil and bake it for 20 minutes at 400.   :thumsup:

Doing these tonight.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Wrong Way Fish
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »
Whip up some special sauce and I'll try 'em.

Yum Yum sauce.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:58:04 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
I love salmon.

Use an ovenproof skillet -

Preheat oven to 450

Salt and pepper fresh salmon filets.
Heat olive oil and butter in skillet at high heat (1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter - it's not a deep fry but you want more than just a coating of the pan

Once the butter melts and the pan is hot, add salmon skin side up

Cook for 4 minutes

Flip

Spoon oil/butter mixture over top of salmon

Put skillet in oven for 6 minutes

Perfecto. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »
Anyone love the flavor of the fish who just has to go against the grain....salmon?  Hey stupid fish, it's much easier to go WITH the current and the bears can't get you if you do that and stop jumping.....but I digress.

Never been a huge fan of the salmon.  Those fried salmon patties were a staple of our diet growing up since my moms cooked them all the time.  Okay with ketchup but they stink the place up for hours.  Found something simple and incredibly good at of all places, Pube-Licks.  As I've said earlier, finding fresh fish is really tough when your choices are limited to Publix and Winn Dixie for the most part.  But we found some "Bourbon Glazed Salmon" filets at Publix that are pretty darn skippy.

Quick, easy recipe and cooking time.  The filets already have a good seasoning but we mix up some soy and brown sugar, pour that over the filet, wrap it in foil and bake it for 20 minutes at 400.   :thumsup:

Doing these tonight.   

Love salmon and rainbow trout. That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
I love salmon.

Use an ovenproof skillet -

Preheat oven to 450

Salt and pepper fresh salmon filets.
Heat olive oil and butter in skillet at high heat (1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter - it's not a deep fry but you want more than just a coating of the pan

Once the butter melts and the pan is hot, add salmon skin side up

Cook for 4 minutes

Flip

Spoon oil/butter mixture over top of salmon

Put skillet in oven for 6 minutes

Perfecto.

I do something similar.  Last year at my checkup my doc says bad cholesterol was really low, but so was the good, told me to eat salmon once a week.  Fine by me.

I buy the fresh stuff for a gazillions dollars a pound when I can, but honestly the individually wrapped frozen fillets from Costco are really good for the price.  Pull one out, run it under cold water for 10 minutes to defrost and fry it up like THS medium rare.  Excellent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
Try cooking your fish (any fish) on a cedar plank on the grill.  Soak the plank for at least a couple of hours, fire up your grill, put a pan of water on the grill, place the cedar on AFoil and let cook for about 30 minutes.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
Do you turn the fish at all or let it be until done?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »
rookies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
rookies.

Okay salmon boy, let's see whatcha' got.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
I do something similar.  Last year at my checkup my doc says bad cholesterol was really low, but so was the good, told me to eat salmon once a week.  Fine by me.

Here's something to get your bad cholesterol up.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Aussie-Burger

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
Do you turn the fish at all or let it be until done?

No, do not turn your fish- I put the water tin on one burner and the Plank on another and close the lid-It cooks slow and the size of your fish will determine how long to cook.

Cedar Planks-Yes you can buy them in a store, if you can, find a place that uses cedar in its daily activities they will give planks for free.

Cedar in your closet is also good for keeping moths at bay.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
I like my fish smoked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
I like my fish smoked.

Do you hold them by the tailfins?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
Do you hold them by the tailfins?

They're a bitch to light.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
No, do not turn your fish- I put the water tin on one burner and the Plank on another and close the lid-It cooks slow and the size of your fish will determine how long to cook.

Cedar Planks-Yes you can buy them in a store, if you can, find a place that uses cedar in its daily activities they will give planks for free.

Cedar in your closet is also good for keeping moths at bay.

You can use any hardwood planks, just make sure they are untreated.  If they are thick enough you can even reuse them a few times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
Whole Hog BBQ
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
What's the purpose of cedar planks.  Do they give it a certain flavor or is that just a particular wood that works better. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
What's the purpose of cedar planks.  Do they give it a certain flavor or is that just a particular wood that works better.
Try some of that Osmose yellawood, maybe the fish will keep longer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »

Gives it a flavor.  But any wood that isn't resinous will do.  If you can find some hickory slabs.... #winning.  Another option that I've always wanted to try is the Alton Brown cardboard box smoker and a whole side of salmon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/altons-smoked-salmon/video/index.html

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
Gives it a flavor.  But any wood that isn't resinous will do.  If you can find some hickory slabs.... #winning.  Another option that I've always wanted to try is the Alton Brown cardboard box smoker and a whole side of salmon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/altons-smoked-salmon/video/index.html

It's all about the pellicle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.