Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/jamaican-jerk-chicken?src=SOC&dom=fb

Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Full of fiery chiles and warm spices, the all-purpose Jamaican seasoning for this dish can be used as a rub on pork, goat, fish, and vegetables, as well as chicken. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Jerk Chicken.

Serves 8
INGREDIENTS
¾cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup ground allspice
¾ cup minced scallions
½ cup peanut or canola oil
â…“ cup ground black pepper
¼ cup kosher salt
¼ cup minced ginger
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp. ground cloves
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed and minced
2 3-4-lb. chickens, each quartered
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine sugar, allspice, scallions, oil, pepper, salt, ginger, juice, soy sauce, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, garlic, and chiles in a bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat in jerk marinade. Cover with plastic wrap; chill at least 6 hours, or overnight.

2. Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Add chicken, skin side down; cook, turning once, until marinade forms a crust on the outside, about 8 minutes. Cover grill; continue cooking until cooked through, about 40 minutes. (Alternatively, transfer chicken to a foil-lined baking sheet; bake in a 350° oven until done.)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Jamaican Jerk Chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »
Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Black Beans, Cole Slaw and Red Stripe Beer.  Good Got Girty that's some fine eatin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Black Beans, Cole Slaw and Red Stripe Beer.  Good Got Girty that's some fine eatin'.

Hooray Beer!

One of my favorite beer ads of all time.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:53:43 PM by AU_Tiger_2000 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
Hooray Beer!

One of my favorite beer ads of all time.

They cut off the royalties I was receiving for doing that commercial.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »
That recipe got me jones'n for some JJ Chicken, so I did some this past Saturday. I substituted cayenne pepper for the scotch bonnet or habanero that this or some recipes called for.  I've never really done any cooking with hot peppers so I didn't want to chance getting it over the top hot.  Worked out great.  Made the cole slaw and Snagette worked up a mean black bean dish. :thumsup: 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
That recipe got me jones'n for some JJ Chicken, so I did some this past Saturday. I substituted cayenne pepper for the scotch bonnet or habanero that this or some recipes called for.  I've never really done any cooking with hot peppers so I didn't want to chance getting it over the top hot.  Worked out great.  Made the cole slaw and Snagette worked up a mean black bean dish. :thumsup:

Let's see the recipe for the black bean dish.

Cayenne is a wonderful chili powder. Here's a recipe you can play with: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/chili_powder.html

I make my own chili powders for smokes and other recipes. Walmarks has dried chiles in the vegetable section.

I have a killer dressing recipe for pasta salad that is still used by my stepmother in her catering business. It's so simple and to die for. I use it for black-bean-pasta-salad. There are quite a few variations for it, but the dressing remains the same as the pasta salad recipe. I'm addicted to it. I marinade my cooked black beans at least 24 hours ahead of time and it makes a big difference.

The dressing is basically replace the Good Season's dressing packet with Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing/Dip packet. That's about it. You can but the large quantity Hidden Valley at Walmarks for like $7 which is what I recommend because the 1 oz. packet isn't enough to me (http://www.walmart.com/ip/15723970?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227010027906&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=18138476830&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem). I make my own using powdered buttermilk mix from Walmarks (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Saco-Cultured-Buttermilk-Blend-12-oz/10319960?findingMethod=rr). I also marinade beef (mainly frozen cuts) in real buttermilk for at least 24 hours before a smoke or cook. I use buttermilk powder mix in some gravies too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
Hey guys! Wanna try my jerk chicken? I put some extra jerk juice on there for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
Hey guys! Wanna try my jerk chicken? I put some extra jerk juice on there for you.

You may wish to consult the TigerWrench.

This is the basic idea behind the pasta salad dressing recipe, minus the chicken.
http://realmomkitchen.com/106/fiesta-chicken-pasta-salad/

This is my basic idea of Hidden Valley Ranch mixture I make myself.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:53:05 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
Here's how another person does their Jerk Chicken.

Brian Bickley Yes Scott, I do! I use Walkerswood jerk paste on them first, then I marinate them with World Harbors jerk marinade. I place them in a ziplock bag overnight in the refrigerator. I smoke them with Jack Daniels wood chunks and apple usually, but now I'm experimenting with pimento and cherry.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201300688029238&set=gm.10151699813997994&type=1&theater
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Speaking of jerk seasonings, we have a bbq shack here called the Jerk House that is ran by Jamaicans.  Saturday night I stopped by for their late night menu and ordered the jerk house burger.  Basic cheeseburger with jerk seasoning on it.  HOLY SHIT was that burger HOT!  Should've came with a warning or something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
Speaking of jerk seasonings, we have a bbq shack here called the Jerk House that is ran by Jamaicans.  Saturday night I stopped by for their late night menu and ordered the jerk house burger.  Basic cheeseburger with jerk seasoning on it.  HOLY SHIT was that burger HOT!  Should've came with a warning or something.

It doesn't have to be that hot. Normally, chile icons are used to grade the spiciness. Authenticity can be a learning experience.

Real jerk is mainly smoked with pimento wood and can be bought, but that shit's expensive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »
It doesn't have to be that hot. Normally, chile icons are used to grade the spiciness. Authenticity can be a learning experience.

Real jerk is mainly smoked with pimento wood and can be bought, but that shit's expensive.
Oh no....8 thawed jmar habaneros made it memorable- maybe enough to retreat back to six, five even.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions