Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

10 years ago today..

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
Re: 10 years ago today..
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 08:59:38 AM »
It's as much the context of hearing him, the time and place, as it is the actual call.
Thats true to an extent. Eventhough I wasn't around for it, I still get a 1/4 chub seeing highlights from Punt updick Punt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
Thats true to an extent. Eventhough I wasn't around for it, I still get a 1/4 chub seeing highlights from Punt updick Punt.

Had this call on a 45.  Listened to the broadcast at the house.  I went running through the neighborhood like a mad man after AU blocked the 2nd punt to win. 

The call on the second punt is hilarious to listen to.  Sanders is hollering "It is blocked....It is blocked" while Gusty Yearout  can't do anything except scream.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »
Check out the 2nd blocked punt and the yahoos in the background

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Had this call on a 45.  Listened to the broadcast at the house.  I went running through the neighborhood like a mad man after AU blocked the 2nd punt to win. 

The call on the second punt is hilarious to listen to.  Sanders is hollering "It is blocked....It is blocked" while Gusty Yearout  can't do anything except scream.

I was at the movie theater (Village theater??) watching  "The time machine", when they announced the score the place went wild. People went to the bathroom to get TP, left there and headed for TC, which by then was a madhouse, Forgot the time, mom came to pick me up and I was no where in sight so she sat there and waited (and was getting pissed) I finally showed up and got my ass chewed and grounded for life when I got home. My old man came into my room and asked how much fun I had and told me he would have done the same thing. He later talked mom into reducing the punishment to time served.

I too had it on a 45 and then converted it to cassette and now on DVD. Also have the DVD set which has a good background on that game. Been known to come home after per taking a beverages and pop one of the DVD's in to watch. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
One thing about Fyffe and so many other great radio play by play guys, is that he was still calling games in a time when there weren't 150 games on the tube every week.  Unless AU is playing New Mexico Tech School For The Blind, you're pretty much going to be able to find them on TV somewhere.  During Fyffe's time, you still relied on the radio a good bit of the season to hear Auburn foosballz.  And not only did he do a great job of being a homer, he was great at painting the picture for you and keeping you current on time left, position on the field, score, down and distance etc.  Not everyone can do that.  Eli Gold is a prime example of being a complete bust at play by play.

During the season, there are invariably going to be times, mostly when I'm driving to or from JHS, when I want to check out what Bama is doing.  I don't know how many times I've cursed the radio because Gold is so inept at keeping you up to date, you can go 10 minutes without knowing the score or even what quarter the game is in. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
One thing about Fyffe and so many other great radio play by play guys, is that he was still calling games in a time when there weren't 150 games on the tube every week.  Unless AU is playing New Mexico Tech School For The Blind, you're pretty much going to be able to find them on TV somewhere.  During Fyffe's time, you still relied on the radio a good bit of the season to hear Auburn foosballz.  And not only did he do a great job of being a homer, he was great at painting the picture for you and keeping you current on time left, position on the field, score, down and distance etc.  Not everyone can do that.  Eli Gold is a prime example of being a complete bust at play by play.

During the season, there are invariably going to be times, mostly when I'm driving to or from JHS, when I want to check out what Bama is doing.  I don't know how many times I've cursed the radio because Gold is so inept at keeping you up to date, you can go 10 minutes without knowing the score or even what quarter the game is in.

At home I'd say we would be a +5.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 01:46:35 PM »
At home I'd say we would be a +5.

Easily
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
i listened to many a game called by Jim while sitting in a tree stand. I'm not sure I ever killed a deer during those broadcasts. I probably had the deer thinking I was having a seizure up in those trees.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/05/top-25-jim-fyffe-calls-with-accompanying-video-watch-it/

Not only does that video make me miss Jim, it also makes me miss Frank Sanders, Lawyer Tillman, Jim Donnan, Mike Dubose, Gerry Dinardo, Curley Hallman, and Jamie Howard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Not only does that video make me miss Jim, it also makes me miss Frank Sanders, Lawyer Tillman, Jim Donnan, Mike Dubose, Gerry Dinardo, Curley Hallman, and Jamie Howard.
Yeah, all of this. But I miss Jim the most.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X