Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Recruiting States

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Recruiting States
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »
Stating the obvious. We are concentrating (as ususal) on AL, ATL and FLA for our base. Malzahn still plans to recruit nationally. Gots to give them an A for the way we finished last class and started this one. Hired great recruiters. Hope there is great coaching going on as well. Click link to see Malzahn with a babe.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/05/auburn_gus_malzahn_recruiting.html

Gus Malzahn: Auburn's recruiting starts in Alabama, Georgia, Florida, but Tigers will still search nationally
Print
 By Joel A. Erickson | jerickson@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Auburn 2014 commitments
Kamryn Pettway flips from FSU to AU
Josh Casher picks AU to play center
Chris Laye commits to Auburn
Auburn offer lures Deshaun Davis
Tre Williams chooses Auburn over UA
JUCO DB Derrick Moncrief picks AU
Justin Thornton expects big things
ATLANTA, Georgia -- For the better part of a week, the spotlight has shone brightly on Auburn's sudden recruiting success in the Mobile Bay area, and with plenty of reason.

Auburn has landed seven recruits for the 2014 signing class so far; six of those players are originally from Alabama, four from Mobile.

But the Tigers' new coaching staff plans to continue recruiting nationally as Auburn continues to strengthen its ties close to home.

"It's all going to start in Alabama, Georgia and Florida, but we'll nationally recruit, and our guys are doing that," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said at a Tiger Trek appearance in Atlanta Tuesday night.

Under Malzahn, Auburn's first priority has been locking down the players available a stone's throw from the campus. By virtue of where it's located geographically, Auburn is ideally placed to pull from recruiting hotbeds across Alabama, Atlanta and the rest of the Georgia area and the entire state of Florida.

For the most part, the Tigers have stuck to that formula so far in the 2014 recruiting class.

Four players -- linebackers Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis, center Joshua Casher and defensive end Justin Thornton -- hail from Mobile, running back Kamryn Pettway and junior college safety Derrick Moncrief are both originally from Prattville and tight end Chris Laye, the lone out-of-state prospect so far, is from Suwanee, Ga.

That's by design. The bulk of Auburn's surprising 2013 class hailed from those three states.

"At the end of the day, Alabama's what matters," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee told the Montgomery Quarterback Club in March. "We signed 18 of our 20 players out of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and that's what matters, that's what's important to Coach."

But Auburn's coaching staff has been working hard outside of those three key states, too

According to Malzahn, the Tigers' coaches continue to cast a wide net, such as the one that flipped Edmond, Okla. native Khari Harding from Arkansas to Auburn in the 2014 class.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn speaks to the media before a meeting of the Atlanta Auburn Club Tuesday, May 14, 2013, in Atlanta, Ga. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

"They're identifying guys that fit our system, and going after them to see if there's any interest," Malzahn said.

No matter where Auburn is targeting recruits, the Tigers have plenty of momentum, a trend that started during Auburn's push to finish the 2013 signing class

Malzahn believes the coaching staff's push that nailed down 2013 signing class -- Auburn finished with a top-10 class despite the normal wave of decommitments following a coaching change -- set the tone for the Tigers' current momentum.

"You know, we really feel good about the way we finished and we feel like it gave us momentum now," Malzahn said. "We still have it."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Recruiting States
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
No question those 3 States should always make up the core of our signing class.  I recall AU always had a huge presence in Georgia until Bowden came.  By the time he left, there were very few players on the roster from there.  Tuberville started picking it back up in Georgia but he seemed to always pull some big names from Miss. too.

I take it back.  We had 12 from Ga. in 99'. Some pretty big contributors too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:14:56 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
No question those 3 States should always make up the core of our signing class.  I recall AU always had a huge presence in Georgia until Bowden came.  By the time he left, there were very few players on the roster from there.  Tuberville started picking it back up in Georgia but he seemed to always pull some big names from Miss. too.

I take it back.  We had 12 from Ga. in 99'. Some pretty big contributors too.
I believe that we were the closest D1 school outside of the state of FL in those days and earlier. We still do well in fla but in the 80's-we recruited like we were a state school. USF not much of a presence for good athletes then. They are now.

Hell, everybody recruits Florida hard. They recruited it then but I think harder now.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
If my quick addition skillz are correct, our current roster shows:

Alabama: 39 plus 6 incoming freshmen

Georgia: 20 plus 3

Florida: 12 plus 6

I didn't count some of the incoming JUCO guys because I couldn't recall where they were from.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
If my quick addition skillz are correct, our current roster shows:

Alabama: 39 plus 6 incoming freshmen= 45

Georgia: 20 plus 3=23

Florida: 12 plus 6=18

I didn't count some of the incoming JUCO guys because I couldn't recall where they were from.
I finished the problems for you. I have an electric calculator here in the office. Call me if you ever need any big ciphering done (i.e. lawyer bills, etc.).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
I finished the problems for you. I have an electric calculator here in the office. Call me if you ever need any big ciphering done (i.e. lawyer bills, etc.).

Bugger off. I was trying to show how the current staff was focusing their efforts.  You can be such a butt sometimes.  I'm not posting in this thread anymore.  Just wait.  You'll see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
Bugger off. I was trying to show how the current staff was focusing their efforts.  You can be such a butt sometimes.  I'm not posting in this thread anymore.  Just wait.  You'll see.
But, I'm only trying to help. Please care.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »
I told you I'm not posting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
And I mean it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
I believe that we were the closest D1 school outside of the state of FL in those days and earlier. We still do well in fla but in the 80's-we recruited like we were a state school. USF not much of a presence for good athletes then. They are now.

Hell, everybody recruits Florida hard. They recruited it then but I think harder now.

Dye recruited Ga like a sunofabitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
Dye recruited Ga like a sunofabitch.

That's because every time he pulled up to a recruits house in Georgia, they said "Here comes that sonofabitch". 

That's my last post.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »
That's because every time he pulled up to a recruits house in Georgia, they said "Here comes that sonofabitch". 

That's my last post.

Promises, promises...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
Promises, promises...

Oh yeah?  Well you just......I mean, you didn't see anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Oh yeah?  Well you just......I mean, you didn't see anything.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'