Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Not Hard Wood...But Definite Movement

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Not Hard Wood...But Definite Movement
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »
This al.kum piece I copped-n-pasta'd from a couple of days ago, in one sense verifies what a lot of us have thought.  We may still be shitty, but we do have better players than we showed on the field the past two seasons.  As I've said many times, all those high recruiting rankings can't be wrong.  I'm definitely not saying we're going to contend for the West this year and we obviously have deficiencies in several areas.  But Johnson is a guy who has been there/done that and he's basically saying he's got more to work with here than he's had at other stops.  At least more to start out with and build on.  Very encouraging to me....

DECATUR, Alabama -- Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson wants to make one thing clear about the defense he inherited this spring.

"The first thing is," says the first-year Auburn coordinator, "I don't think they played as bad as the record. They were a lot better than a three-win team."

Auburn's defensive struggles in 2012 under former coordinator Brian VanGorder have been well-documented -- before and after Johnson's arrival on the Plains, where the veteran coordinator takes over an SEC defense for the fourth time in his career.

The Tigers' defense finished at or near the bottom of every major statistical category in the SEC, ranking 79th nationally in total defense while allowing 420.5 yards per game (second-to-last in the SEC).

Johnson exits the spring with a relatively healthy roster, including plenty of returning starters and players with experience as starters. Some of the rebuilding project, which began in earnest this spring with the installation of the 4-2-5 scheme, has more to do with attitude and psychology than technique and football knowledge.

Johnson has repeatedly said that the Tigers are starting with a blank slate. Past performances, coach Gus Malzahn has also repeated, do not dictate the future.

First-year Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson, in a wide-ranging interview with reporters before an alumni event in Decatur, hits on why his defense will be much better than the version in 2012 and why Mobile is an important recruiting area for the Tigers. (Brandon Marcello/bmarcello@al.com) "A lot of things, I think, caved in on them," Johnson said of the 2012 Auburn defense. "Maybe the close loss to LSU and the open date; the players said they seemed to have lost a little bit of their stinger, if you will, the leadership wasn't as good as it should have been. Then you hit that tough slate of the SEC and I think it snow-balled on them.

"There were things that needed to be addressed. I think coach Malzahn let them know real soon that it's a new day. ... We made it clear to them it's going to be a new standard and I think the reception has been good, the attitude has been good, the work habits have been good. We made a lot of progress."

Johnson's work at South Carolina is what fans hope to see Auburn replicate in 2013. Johnson's defenses ranked in the top 15 nationally in three of the four years he called plays as the Gamecocks' coordinator. His first defense in 2008 ranked 13th (291.92 yards per game), a drastic improvement from the previous season, when the Gamecocks allowed 378.1 yards and finished 56th in the country.

"A lot of things, I think, caved in on them," Ellis Johnson said of the Auburn defense in 2012.

Simply put, Johnson has done this before at Alabama, Mississippi State and South Carolina. Johnson also says that this defense at Auburn is better suited for a turnaround season than his other first-year projects, including the big turnaround under head coach Steve Spurrier at South Carolina.

"As a complete roster and depth chart there are more really good, solid SEC players on this defensive unit than were at either one of those two places I was at, especially the first year," Johnson said, pointing to stops at MSU and South Carolina. "The thing that we’re really trying to identify is some guys who can make those impact plays in the course of the game."

Defensive end Dee Ford, who locked up a starting job on the left side this spring, is close to becoming one of Johnson's impact players. The same can be said for Justin Garrett, who plays the safety hybrid -- the "Star" -- in Johnson's 4-2-5 scheme.

The lack of tackles for loss, sacks and pressures on the quarterback led to a disappointing turnover margin in 2012, Johnson says. The Tigers picked off only two passes and finished 106th nationally (13th in the SEC) in turnover margin.

"That’s something we’re working very hard on," Johnson says. "But as a total depth chart I’m satisfied. We can be a very solid unit next year."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Not Hard Wood...But Definite Movement
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
This al.kum piece I copped-n-pasta'd from a couple of days ago, in one sense verifies what a lot of us have thought.  We may still be shootty, but we do have better players than we showed on the field the past two seasons.  As I've said many times, all those high recruiting rankings can't be wrong.  I'm definitely not saying we're going to contend for the West this year and we obviously have deficiencies in several areas.  But Johnson is a guy who has been there/done that and he's basically saying he's got more to work with here than he's had at other stops.  At least more to start out with and build on.  Very encouraging to me....
I'm encouraged too. My fear is that even while I feel like the D will be improved, the pressure that Malzahn's O will put on them in some games (i.e. 3 and outs, poor field position) may make it seem like we haven't improved much. In other words, till we get a top half of the league D, it won't seem as if we've advanced much unless the O clicks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
I'm encouraged too. My fear is that even while I feel like the D will be improved, the pressure that Malzahn's O will put on them in some games (i.e. 3 and outs, poor field position) may make it seem like we haven't improved much. In other words, till we get a top half of the league D, it won't seem as if we've advanced much unless the O clicks.

See. here's my thing with that....and like this and like that and uh...

Last year, we huddled...and flopped.  The defense still couldn't stop a soul.  Texas A&M, Georgia and Bama were NEVER stopped...evah.  To me, regardless of what style your offense plays, if you want to stop somebody, then get your ass on the field and force them to go 3 and out.  Whip the guy in front of you and make a tackle.  Then you won't be on the field very long. 

It's a crude philosophy, but I like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
See. here's my thing with that....and like this and like that and uh...

Last year, we huddled...and flopped.  The defense still couldn't stop a soul.  Texas A&M, Georgia and Bama were NEVER stopped...evah.  To me, regardless of what style your offense plays, if you want to stop somebody, then get your ass on the field and force them to go 3 and out.  Whip the guy in front of you and make a tackle.  Then you won't be on the field very long. 

It's a crude philosophy, but I like it.

And it works every time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »

And it works every time.
60% of the time
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
"The first thing is," says the first-year Auburn coordinator, "I don't think they played as bad as the record. They were a lot better than a three-win team."

He went on to say...

"Unfortunately, Jake Holland."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
I kinda like the 4-2-5 and I think it could fit our offensive style. I'm hoping it will resemble TCU's from a couple of seasons ago and nothing like USM's effort with sparse talent compared to ours. Lot to ask but I do think we create far more turnovers which is key to getting off the field and giving Lashlee and co. another go. Just think if we score enough the other team sort of wilts in many cases. We have a strong kicking game and just need a playmaker (QB) in the red zone that can give us positive results. But none of that matters unless we can stop the run and run the ball. We have to be nastier up front on both sides to actually see improvement which I hope will reflect in our overall record. We will be better IMO but how much our sorry assed tendencies play a part in it (ie versus the Mississippi teams and Arky) are what I question.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions