Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

We're sorry. It was just a coinkydink.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
We're sorry. It was just a coinkydink.
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/05/irs_says_it_singled_out_tea_pa.html#incart_river_default
I.R.S. says it singled out Tea Party filers, apologizes

By Alex Walsh | awalsh@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM, updated May 10, 2013
The Associated Press
The U.S. Internal Revenue Service says it unfairly targeted conservative groups, including those affiliated with the so-called Tea Party, when determining whether a non-profit organization deserved its exemption, according to the New York Times.

“We made some mistakes; some people didn’t use good judgment,” I.R.S. divisional director Lois Lerner said in a conference call. “For that we’re apologetic.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: We're sorry. It was just a coinkydink.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
When was the last time government used good judgment?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »
If Bush were our President now, the backlash would be 10 times what we see. Benghazi cover up should be worse than Watergate was for Nixon.

Covering up Benghazi helped decide an election. It's not the fact that people were killed, it's the fact that the reason and response was spun to influence the election.

The IRS harassment and the intrusion into the AP are the icing on the cake. This president has lost control. We can only judge a leader by results and he has failed. It's time for him to go. And I don't mean ride off into the sunset at the end of his term and go back to the speaking circuit and community organizing. I mean impeachment.

If these atrocities aren't addressed by congress and corrected, we are a short slide away from becoming Russia.

Alabama tea party groups targeted by IRS (updated)
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/05/alabama_tea_party_groups_targe.html#incart_m-rpt-2
Print
 By George Talbot | gtalbot@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM, updated May 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM
At least two Alabama tea party groups said they were singled out by the Internal Revenue Service over their applications for tax-exempt status.

Both the Common Sense Campaign, a Mobile-based tea party group, and the Wetumpka Tea Party said they were targeted by the IRS, which apologized Friday for what it called “inappropriate” reviews of conservative political groups.

Pete Riehm, a co-founder of the Common Sense Campaign, said the IRS blocked his group’s application to be recognized as a 501c4 non-profit organization.

“We were never audited, but we were certainly harassed,” Riehm said today.

A House bill introduced today would make it a crime punishable by jail time if IRS agents are found guilty of discriminating against political groups.

Riehm said his tea party group submitted its initial application to the IRS in the summer of 2009, along with an $850 filing fee. He said the campaign spent nearly two years and at least $2,000 in legal costs dealing with the IRS’ questions about the application.

Riehm said the group faced repeated delays and was told on at least two occasions that its application had been lost, forcing Common Sense organizers to restart the application process.

Riehm said his group was asked to provide a list of its donors – a violation of IRS policy. He said the agency additionally asked for information about people who posted comments on the campaign’s web site.

The group’s efforts to comply with the IRS only brought new rounds of requests from the tax agency, he said.

Riehm said his concerns peaked in early 2011, when the IRS asked the campaign to identify the employers of its campaign donors and board members.

"They were definitely trying to scare us." - Pete Riehm, a co-founder of the Common Sense Campaign

“That’s when I knew we were being targeted. It had a chilling effect on our ability to raise money,” he said. “They were definitely trying to scare us.”

Becky Gerritson, president of the Wetumpka Tea Party, said her group faced similar delays after applying for tax exempt status in October 2010. After months without any response from the IRS, she said the group received an 8-page letter in February 2012 requesting extensive details about its activities.

"They wanted copies of any communications with legislators. They wanted the names of our volunteers and anyone who'd spoken at our events. They even wanted actual copies of the speeches," Gerritson said. "It was very disorienting."

Gerritson said her group declined to provide the information based on legal advice from the American Center for Law and Justice, a Washington-based law firm that represents about 30 tea party organizations.

The IRS informed the group in July 2012 that its application had been approved, Gerritson said.

Riehm said the Common Sense Campaign, frustrated by mounting legal costs, chose to drop its application in 2011.

“We decided to just pay the tax and quit fighting the bureaucracy,” he said. “It was obvious they weren’t going to recognize us” as a tax-exempt organization.

Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups, said Friday that about 75 groups were inappropriately targeted. None had their tax-exempt status revoked, Lerner said.

The agency — led at the time by a Bush administration appointee — blamed low-level employees, saying no high-level officials were aware.

That explanation wasn’t good enough for members of the Wetumpka Tea Party.

“Our group was targeted by the IRS,” the group said in a message posted on its Facebook page. “ We have a hard time believing this was an ‘accident’ by low level IRS people.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Bush set the precedence for current spying.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-may-13-2013/barack-trek--into-darkness

Fucking wrong, wrong, wrong.  FDR set it, then it just carried on.  LBJ tapes anyone?   I hated Bush, but he did nothing more than what others had done before him.  They just happened to be the media's darlings and it wasn't talked about. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
fudgeing wrong, wrong, wrong.  FDR set it, then it just carried on.  LBJ tapes anyone?   I hated Bush, but he did nothing more than what others had done before him.  They just happened to be the media's darlings and it wasn't talked about.
I think things get a little out of whack when you are the guy in charge and the country is attacked. Esp when you don't know where the enemy is. The fear is that they are already in your country. Everywhere. That would make me do some things that I wouldn't normally consider allowable in a democratic republic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
Fucking wrong, wrong, wrong.  FDR set it, then it just carried on.  LBJ tapes anyone?   I hated Bush, but he did nothing more than what others had done before him.  They just happened to be the media's darlings and it wasn't talked about.

Careful. He has sources who know the illuminati and international banking cartels.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Careful. He has sources who know the illuminati and international banking cartels.

Mutherfucker I am the illuminati.  Recognize.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
I think things get a little out of whack when you are the guy in charge and the country is attacked. Esp when you don't know where the enemy is. The fear is that they are already in your country. Everywhere. That would make me do some things that I wouldn't normally consider allowable in a democratic republic.

I would like to think that I wouldn't trample all over someones constitutional rights.  It has been done since FDR and it will always happen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
I would like to think that I wouldn't trample all over someones constitutional rights.  It has been done since FDR and it will always happen.

C'mon man.  You work in IT, that's part of the job description.  You creepin' voyeuristic assholes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »

Woodrow Wilson. Federal Reserve. Stock market margin (see roaring 20s and ensuing collapse in 29). End of story. Bad precedents were set with both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
C'mon man.  You work in IT, that's part of the job description.  You creepin' voyeuristic assholes.

No no no, I am not IT.  Systems Administration and Information Security is what I do.  I work on clusters, not desktops.  Although at my first job I was also the IT guy since we were offsite.  I never looked at anyones stuff, but I damn sure would remotely reboot their machine or hide their network drive info at random times.  :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
Woodrow Wilson. Federal Reserve. Stock market margin (see roaring 20s and ensuing collapse in 29). End of story. Bad precedents were set with both.

True.  I don't know if Woodrow tapped any phones or not, I am sure he did.  I more alluding to BF's post saying that Bush set the precedent on spying.  How quickly we forget that FDR was tapping phones and rounding up people against their will and throwing them into makeshift concentration camps.  All you see in history books now is how his New Deal rescued us from the Great Depression and he won WWII. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »
True.  I don't know if Woodrow tapped any phones or not, I am sure he did.  I more alluding to BF's post saying that Bush set the precedent on spying.  How quickly we forget that FDR was tapping phones and rounding up people against their will and throwing them into makeshift concentration camps.  All you see in history books now is how his New Deal rescued us from the Great Depression and he won WWII.
Guess I was just meaning govt meddling and growth in general.

I have a book called "FDRs Folly" about the myth that Fdr saved us. In fact his policies prolonged the depression. Sound familiar?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
Right.  Impeach Obama.  Make Joe Biden the President.

That'll help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »

That'll help.
LOLz!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »

That'll help.

Does that mean there will be government subsidies for shotguns?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

That'll help.

It would make it funnier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

Does that mean there will be government subsidies for shotguns?
I need a new shotgun anyway, so I'm for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
IRS chief says it was two rogue workers.

Two people did all that damage without being noticed. 

Oh and I loved how Obama heard about it on the news.  Didn't know it was happening.  Jon Stewart had a great bit on his comments last night.  He brought up four different clips of Obama claiming that he only heard about scandals from the news.  Fast and Furious, Jeremiah Wright, some other one, and now the IRS. 

What a joke. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole