Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thomas Transfer (FSU)

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Thomas Transfer (FSU)
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
If they do this, the floodgates are opened.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-signee-matthew-thomas-says-mom-made-162459529.html
Florida State signee Matthew Thomas says mom made him sign; wants his release
 .By Graham Watson | Dr. Saturday – 22 hours ago...

(USA Today Sports Images)

Matthew Thomas was one of the best signees of this year’s Florida State class, and now he wants out of his letter of intent.

Thomas, who was ranked the nation No. 2 linebacker out of Booker T. Washington High in Miami, told the Miami Herald that he informed Florida State coaches he does not plan on being in camp in August because the decision to go to FSU was not his — it was his mother’s.

“What happened was on Signing Day [was] I wasn’t sure who I wanted to sign with,” Thomas told the paper. “I had issues with different schools. But when I told my mom I didn’t want to sign with anybody and wait and give it a few days she said I couldn’t do that. She said, ‘FSU is a good school – pick them. It’s close to home.’ I wasn’t agreeing with it. But I felt like I was being disrespectful to her if I didn’t sign. So I made her happy.”

Thomas also told the paper he felt pressure because his announcement was live on ESPN.com.

Thomas said if he is released from his letter of intent, he’s seeking offers from either Georgia or USC, two schools that courted him during his recruiting period.

But the Florida State coaches aren’t giving up on him so easily. They plan to meet with Thomas and his parents in South Florida to understand the situation. According to Warchant.com, Thomas’ mother has been out of the country for the past couple weeks, but the meeting will take place when she returns.

Thomas told the Miami Herald his parents support his decision, but that it’s up to the Florida State coaches to make the final call.

This is a tricky situation. Thomas signed his letter of intent and should honor his commitment. However, Florida State doesn’t want a player in its program that doesn’t really want to be there.

It will be interesting to see what Florida State does here because it doesn’t want to set a precedent for future recruits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Thomas Transfer (FSU)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
Is he coming to Auburn or what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Is he coming to Auburn or what?
What. I took very valuable time out of my day to bring this story to your attention. The very least that you could do is read it and post a civil comment thanking me for my contiribution to the X and society. But to answer your question, the kid may come to Auburn on his way to Athens.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:39:13 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
Slippery slope if they grant him a waiver now.  On one hand, if the kid doesn't want to be there, FSU will not gain a thing by making him come in anyway, then later transfer.  On the other hand, they could have used that scholarship for a kid that actually wants to be there, so the kid owes them something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
I'm torn in half or 41/53 on this issue.  Someone with more info on it than me should comment but I've often wondered why we haven't seen more challenges in the past.  If I understand correctly, a scholarship is a contract, whether it's one year renewable or 4 years as some schools have gone to recently.  If it is a contract, a 17 year old (As many of these kids are) can't legally contract and would have to have parent or legal guardian to sign.

In the case of the Louisiana safety, who's momz was visibly upset he chose Alabama over LSU, could he legally enter into a contract if she or popz didn't sign off?  Now, I'm sure the REC helped her "see the light" and she was suddenly proud to see her boy wearing the crimpsum.  But, what if the parents refused?  Anyone familiar with the scholarship process?  Jumbo?  Prowler? CCTAU?  THS?  Beuller?     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
I'm torn in half or 41/53 on this issue.  Someone with more info on it than me should comment but I've often wondered why we haven't seen more challenges in the past.  If I understand correctly, a scholarship is a contract, whether it's one year renewable or 4 years as some schools have gone to recently.  If it is a contract, a 17 year old (As many of these kids are) can't legally contract and would have to have parent or legal guardian to sign.

In the case of the Louisiana safety, who's momz was visibly upset he chose Alabama over LSU, could he legally enter into a contract if she or popz didn't sign off?  Now, I'm sure the REC helped her "see the light" and she was suddenly proud to see her boy wearing the crimpsum.  But, what if the parents refused?  Anyone familiar with the scholarship process?  Jumbo?  Prowler? CCTAU?  THS?  Beuller?   
They need one parents signature.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
Anyone familiar with the scholarship process?   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »
The way I sees it is if they sign, then they should have to go to that school for at least the first year--no exceptions. If they ask for a transfer after that year, etc. is a different story and I'm really o.k. with all of that. But, if they allow transfers before a kid even gets on campus, it's opening Pandora's box and encouraging recruitment of kids that have already signed (even though that's against the rules).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
The way I sees it is if they sign, then they should have to go to that school for at least the first year--no exceptions. If they ask for a transfer after that year, etc. is a different story and I'm really o.k. with all of that. But, if they allow transfers before a kid even gets on campus, it's opening Pandora's box and encouraging recruitment of kids that have already signed (even though that's against the rules).
He can transfer anywhere he wants.  He can file a waiver, if he doesn't get it.  He will have to sit a year.

See: Mike Blakely
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
He can transfer anywhere he wants.  He can file a waiver, if he doesn't get it.  He will have to sit a year.

Stop with your fruity logic
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

Right...but wouldn't this be unprecedented for a kid that isn't even out of HS yet? I don't remember it ever happening. That's the difference to me. IF they do grant the waiver, then it's dangerous territory. Most times, from what I understand, SEC schools don't allow transfers at all to other schools in their division or a rival in the conference. It's a stipulation. Anywhere else, they sit the year and go. It it's to a D1aa, they can play next season.

Blakely was granted a special waiver by Muschamp. Why this happened is a good question.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:59:04 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »
I know that there are rules about this, but I am inclined to say that this contract is not binding unless they are 18. Parents (or anyone) cannot sign rights away for the child. And as long as no benefits have been accepted, I can't think of any reason why legally this kid won't win.

Does it open up a Pandora's box maybe. But aren't they signing a letter of intent? And not the actual scholly? I can't remember what I signed years ago. When I got on campus, I filled out a shitload of paperwork, but I was 18 by then.

I'm not sure what would have happened had I just not showed up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
I know that there are rules about this, but I am inclined to say that this contract is not binding unless they are 18. Parents (or anyone) cannot sign rights away for the child. And as long as no benefits have been accepted, I can't think of any reason why legally this kid won't win.

Does it open up a Pandora's box maybe. But aren't they signing a letter of intent? And not the actual scholly? I can't remember what I signed years ago. When I got on campus, I filled out a shitload of paperwork, but I was 18 by then.

I'm not sure what would have happened had I just not showed up.

They would've had to go get another trainer to tape the player's ankles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »

Bwaaaaaahhaaaaaaa. Bwaaaahaaaaaaaa.

You should go on the road with that. No really, hit the road.

I should have gone into ankle taping. There's a lot of money in sports medicine today.
I know. I am still paying off both my kids sports rehab bills.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
Bwaaaaaahhaaaaaaa. Bwaaaahaaaaaaaa.

You should go on the road with that. No really, hit the road.

I should have gone into ankle taping. There's a lot of money in sports medicine today.
I know. I am still paying off both my kids sports rehab bills.
Truf.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

L-Look at me. I'm the w-w-waterboy.

Duh! I got a wooden spoon. Duh!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 06:19:42 AM »
Smells like you need a shower, Stinky!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 06:21:02 AM »
Captain Insano shows no mercy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
Ben Franklin is the Devil!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions