Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rub It In

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Rub It In
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
I love rubbing my meat.  I mean, who doesn't?

I like experimenting with different rubs for pork and beef.  We were throwing some steaks on the grill this weekend and I found one that I had to try...on mine.  I didn't experiment with anybody else's.  6 ingredients:

Chili powder
Garlic powder
Kosher salt
Espresso or finely ground coffee
Coarse ground black pepper
Brown sugar

Strange combination of ingredients from sweet to hot.  Turned out great. 

Rubs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Rub It In
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

I like experimenting with different rubs for pork and beef.  We were throwing some steaks on the grill this weekend and I found one that I had to try...on mine.  I didn't experiment with anybody else's.  6 ingredients:

Chili powder
Garlic powder
Kosher salt
Brown sugar

Rubs?

Up and down has always worked for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:32:59 PM »
Up and down has always worked for me.

Only if you want mayonnaise with your rub.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
I use a lot of different stuff too but primarily I'm a Jergen's lotion or Vaseline man. Also, I use two hands out of necessity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
I use a lot of different stuff too but primarily I'm a Jergen's lotion or Vaseline man. Also, I use two hands out of necessity.

You don't have keep holding on to the bottle of Jergen's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
You don't have keep holding on to the bottle of Jergen's.

He does if he wants to hold something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Try some dehydrated, powered red bell pepper next time in your rub. It does wonders for all meats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
Try some dehydrated, powered red bell pepper next time in your rub. It does wonders for all meats.

I think that would burn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

Chili powder
Garlic powder
Kosher salt
Brown sugar

Rubs?
Do you only rub your meat or do you rub others too? I, personally, only care to rub my own. But this is 2013 and I know that there are those that rub other people's meat. To each their own.

I am just fine rubbing my own meat and sometimes I get a little rough with it. I beat it pretty hard in the process of tenderizing. So hard, in fact, that it has brought me to the brink of exhaustion.

I think I'll go rub my meat now and then soak it in a pan of warm water.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »
I think that would burn.

Tomatoes burn. Red bell pepper I haven't have a problem with burning. You don't need too much. If you really want to add flavor you can marinade the meat 24 hours then pat dry and add your favorite rub. I juice garlic cloves, tomatoes and other fresh spices to inject my butts (LOL) then allow the injection 24+ hours to work. Then rub with a mixture of spices and salt that I prefer over ready made rubs. Tomato (or tomato juice) paste chemically infuses the meat with the flavors you are adding.

Here's a base recipe for injection and rub. Feel free to alter it to your taste.

Here's one.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup table salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt

1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Place one of the butts in a baking dish and inject in 12-16 spots with 1/4 of the injection solution (Photo 5). Pick a spot, stick the needle deep into the meat, and slowly depress the plunger while pulling the needle out, then repeat in a different spot. You should be able to inject several spots before needing to refill the injector. The solution that collects in the bottom of the baking dish can be re-injected if you start to run short.

The meat is not a sponge and will not hold all of the injection solution. It is normal for much of it to run out.

Turn the butt over and inject with another 1/4 of the solution, then set the butt aside. Repeat the process with the second pork butt.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/115052/marinade-injection-for-a-pork-butt
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:30:12 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
I'm gonna try these burgers this weekend.

The Alabama Smokehouse Pig Burger with White Barbecue Sauce

Recipe courtesy Harold Cohen

Prep Time:
25 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
6 burgers

Ingredients
Alabama White Barbecue Sauce:

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
12 slices thick cut hickory smoked bacon

Patties:

2 pounds ground pork
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for grill rack
6 thick slices smoked Gouda (recommended: Boar's Head)
6 kaiser rolls, split
2 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage

Directions

Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.

Alabama White Barbecue Sauce:

In a small mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and black pepper. Mix until well combined and refrigerate until serving.

Heat a large fireproof nonstick skillet on the grill. Add the bacon and cook over medium-high heat until the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes, flipping once. Drain on paper towels. Reserve the rendered bacon fat from the skillet.

Patties:

Combine the pork, smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat from the skillet. Mix well, handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the size of the rolls.

Brush the grill rack with oil. Arrange the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once just until done, about 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. During the last few minutes of cooking, top the burgers with equal amounts of smoked Gouda and put the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.

To assemble the burgers, spread a generous amount of Alabama White Barbecue Sauce on the cut sides of the rolls. On each roll bottom, put some shredded cabbage, a cheese-topped patty, and 2 slices of bacon. Cover with the roll tops and serve.

A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs cannot make representation as to the results.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_444603_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html?oc=linkback
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
I injected my pork butt this year and shit came out perfect. I threw hickory smoke for the first hours then charcoal after that to finish, man that shit came out orgasmic. Fat cap up.

Note: injected and rubbed, but rinsed of the rub after it was in the frig over night. Incredible bark anyway. Leaving the rub on would have been too much and overpowering flavor of the pork. I'm full.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
Finally got to try out the smoker I got for Christmas this afternoon.  Got a pork roast, rack of ribs and a whole chicken going as we speak.  I used the Pilliteri's "Rubb-A-Butt", some bold and spicy rub and some mesquite seasoning on all of them.  Just using hickory chips, and damn I'm jonesing for an X-gate...it's making me miss Joe's cooking...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.