Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Scariest Financial Situation

Scariest Financial Situation
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
What's the scariest financial situation you've ever been in? 

Here's what I'm facing:

- In the middle of June, my wife and I will have our first kid. 
- At the end of May, I'm quitting my job to go back to school or possibly pursue other avenues. 
- We're going to refinance our Alabaster house and hopefully rent it out.  If we have to, we'll stay, but I'd rather move closer to B'ham because I'll be going to UAB and my wife works in Inverness. 
- As of right now, starting in October when my teacher paycheck stops coming in, we'll be around $500 short of making ends meet. 

I'm currently building a base of guitar students.  I have 13 right now, but I'll need at least 21 to make ends meet and hopefully more to have savings/vacation money/extra. 

I'm terrified.  Anyone have any similar stories to help me not feel like such a pansy or idiot for doing this?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Scariest Financial Situation
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »
One time I looked in my wallet and I realized I only had a $20 in there....scared me half to death.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
One time I looked in my wallet and I realized I only had a $20 in there....scared me half to death.

That's when you realized the maid was stealing from you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »
What's the scariest financial situation you've ever been in? 

Here's what I'm facing:

- In the middle of June, my wife and I will have our first kid. 
- At the end of May, I'm quitting my job to go back to school or possibly pursue other avenues. 
- We're going to refinance our Alabaster house and hopefully rent it out.  If we have to, we'll stay, but I'd rather move closer to B'ham because I'll be going to UAB and my wife works in Inverness. 
- As of right now, starting in October when my teacher paycheck stops coming in, we'll be around $500 short of making ends meet. 

I'm currently building a base of guitar students.  I have 13 right now, but I'll need at least 21 to make ends meet and hopefully more to have savings/vacation money/extra. 

I'm terrified.  Anyone have any similar stories to help me not feel like such a pansy or idiot for doing this?
Have you lost your mind? I would only say that the mere fact that you are thinking ahead and crunching numbers puts you ahead of 90% of America. Your question is the risk worth the reward. And there is no way to know but I admire your go-gettivness.

What kind of guitars your fav? I'm a Martin man. If I lived closer I may sign up with u.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
That's when you realized the maid was stealing from you?
Actually thats why I fired the butler, you can't find good help these days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
Last year, I had a contract on the 2nd beach home and for some reason, the buyer decided he liked this other home better.  I was stunned because I knew the one he opted for only had 5 bedrooms and the 3rd floor back deck needed some repair.  Anyway, the Mrs. decided she liked the feel of the Lexus SUV better than the Mercedes, but didn't want to part with the Mercedes either.  I was in a quandary trying to figure up enough tax write-offs for 2012. But, you've all been there, right?

But srsly, the first few years of marriage were a big rollercoaster ride of financial ups and downs.  One time between jobs and wondering what the heck we were going to do, I went to my dad to borrow money to start a lawn care business.  My pops was not thrilled at the idea and loaned me some $$$ to get by until I could find a "real job".  Fortunately, I did but for while there we were wondering how we were going to make the minimum payment on that massive $400.00 of debt we had put on a credit card.

I think the most scared I've ever been was taking the Bar.  When I tell you ALL our eggs were in that one basket, I joke not.  I had cashed in everything to get through school and if I didn't pass that little 3 day pop quiz, I had no job, no savings, no retirement and still $25K in additional school loans to pay back.  Yeah, that shit made me physically sick.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
Have you lost your mind? I would only say that the mere fact that you are thinking ahead and crunching numbers puts you ahead of 90% of America. Your question is the risk worth the reward. And there is no way to know but I admire your go-gettivness.

What kind of guitars your fav? I'm a Martin man. If I lived closer I may sign up with u.

Martin D-16 here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »

Maton 808.  Australian made guitar.  About $2500, and it has the best pickup system in the world. 

I also have a Taylor 414CE, but I really need to sell it.  I never play the thing. 

For electric, I have a Fender 1997 Anniversary edition.  They only made 1997 of them, and it's designed exactly like the Fender SRV model. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »
Last year, I had a contract on the 2nd beach home and for some reason, the buyer decided he liked this other home better.  I was stunned because I knew the one he opted for only had 5 bedrooms and the 3rd floor back deck needed some repair.  Anyway, the Mrs. decided she liked the feel of the Lexus SUV better than the Mercedes, but didn't want to part with the Mercedes either.  I was in a quandary trying to figure up enough tax write-offs for 2012. But, you've all been there, right?

But srsly, the first few years of marriage were a big rollercoaster ride of financial ups and downs.  One time between jobs and wondering what the heck we were going to do, I went to my dad to borrow money to start a lawn care business.  My pops was not thrilled at the idea and loaned me some $$$ to get by until I could find a "real job".  Fortunately, I did but for while there we were wondering how we were going to make the minimum payment on that massive $400.00 of debt we had put on a credit card.

I think the most scared I've ever been was taking the Bar.  When I tell you ALL our eggs were in that one basket, I joke not.  I had cashed in everything to get through school and if I didn't pass that little 3 day pop quiz, I had no job, no savings, no retirement and still $25K in additional school loans to pay back.  Yeah, that shit made me physically sick.     

I'm going to be in that boat.  Maybe.

I'm taking pre-med classes at UAB and will take the MCAT in about a year and a half.  Then off to medical school where I will acquire $100k+ in loans and enter a field that the government may totally buttfuck. 

Unless something else works out.  Not sure what.  But something else...anything but teaching English to 15 year olds. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
Martin D-16 here.
HD-35 and a Taylor are my only (what I consider nice) guitars. Have a few other toss arounds that I like the sound off. In the market for a composite acoustics. I heard they stopped making them but the sound is incredible for a composite guitar. And you could use it for a canoe paddle without water damage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
HD-35 and a Taylor are my only (what I consider nice) guitars. Have a few other toss arounds that I like the sound off. In the market for a composite acoustics. I heard they stopped making them but the sound is incredible for a composite guitar. And you could use it for a canoe paddle without water damage.

Can't say I know all that much about Martin guitars outside of the one I play.  Several years back, I was in the market for a new acoustic.  I had started playing in our church band and the old Ovation I was playing just wasn't cutting it.  The guy I normally traded with at Art's Music told me they started carrying some Martins and they were experimenting with pick ups, which I believe Martin never used in their product up until then. Again, I don't know the history all that well.  To me, a Martin was strictly a guitar that bluegrass musicians played.  He showed me the D-16 that had a cut-away, which I really like, and it had a tiny nick on it, that you had to get in the right light to see.  Anywho, he knocked off several hundred dollars and I absolutely loved the feel and sound of it.  I bought it and have never even considered changing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
I'm going to be in that boat.  Maybe.

I'm taking pre-med classes at UAB and will take the MCAT in about a year and a half.  Then off to medical school where I will acquire $100k+ in loans and enter a field that the government may totally buttfudge. 

Unless something else works out.  Not sure what.  But something else...anything but teaching English to 15 year olds.
Outta curiosity, have you ever considered the  PA program at UAB? The reason I ask is that it's kind of a way to dip your toe in before jumping. I know someone who decided to take the leap recently and I was looking at the job outlook and a 30% increase in demand was forecast over the next ten or so yrs.

I believe that they have an accelerated program if you are willing to plunge into it. I don't remember if it's a yr or two. Anyhow, was talking to a physician friend who thought Obamacare would mean more incentive for rural care--in turn more PA's. Not sure about the rationale.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Outta curiosity, have you ever considered the  PA program at UAB? The reason I ask is that it's kind of a way to dip your toe in before jumping. I know someone who decided to take the leap recently and I was looking at the job outlook and a 30% increase in demand was forecast over the next ten or so yrs.

I believe that they have an accelerated program if you are willing to plunge into it. I don't remember if it's a yr or two. Anyhow, was talking to a physician friend who thought Obamacare would mean more incentive for rural care--in turn more PA's. Not sure about the rationale.

I did. 

Guess who goes to PA school? 

EMTs, nurses, and pharmacists. 

Seriously.  It's next to impossible to get admitted to PA school if you don't have any prior experience.  In fact, I was told by an adcom at UAB medical school that my chances of getting into a top 20 medical school are exponentially higher than getting into any reputable PA schools. 

I also looked into nursing, but fuck that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
I did. 

Guess who goes to PA school? 

EMTs, nurses, and pharmacists. 

Seriously.  It's next to impossible to get admitted to PA school if you don't have any prior experience.  In fact, I was told by an adcom at UAB medical school that my chances of getting into a top 20 medical school are exponentially higher than getting into any reputable PA schools. 

I also looked into nursing, but fudge that.
I've been thinking about starting a cricket farm. If all else fails, I will be needing an assistant. Eventually, I plan to expand and sale gourds and VCR's.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:25:14 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
scariest financial situation?

Retired out of the military and moved to Dallas, Didn't have a job or a place to live.

And knowing how to kill mofo's was not a resume highlight. 

I would say this is a "suck it up buttercup" moment in your life progression.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

Dammit...I could have used a lawn company that cares.  Motherfucker!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »

Dude....I only cut with Husqvarna lawn equipment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
Dude....I only cut with Husqvarna lawn equipment.

I figured with as much money as you make you would hire someone to cut it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
I figured with as much money as you make you would hire someone to cut it.

Cover blown.  Okay, you got me there. 

But, I do roll the garbage can down to the curb on pick up days.  Gotta' get my exercise in somehow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions