Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Huge Dropoff from DT starters to backups

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Huge Dropoff from DT starters to backups
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »
Just like JR reported

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/04/ellis_johnson_huge_drop_off_be.html

I was taught the kung fu copypasta from Snags

Ellis Johnson: 'Huge drop off' between starters, backups on defensive line a concern
Brandon Marcello |

on April 09, 2013 at 2:55 PM, updated April 09, 2013 at 2:58 PM

AUBURN, Alabama -- Ellis Johnson can draw up plays until his heart's content, but he needs some playmakers to make his defense work.

It's not an exact science but it's pretty simple: the first-year Auburn defensive coordinator is still looking for "impact players" on his defensive line through seven spring practices.

"You can keep drawing up all these plays and defenses, but players at some point in time have got to make an impact play," Johnson said. "That's what I really haven't seen yet on the field."

The Tigers certainly have depth across the line but that doesn't mean Johnson is completely satisfied  He called the Auburn defensive line one of the deepest he's been around in terms of numbers when spring practices started in March, when he wasn't ready to evaluate them on a player-by-player basis.

Practically every player except Corey Lemonier returns in the trenches, and the Tigers are so deep up front Johnson had no problem lifting LaDarius Owens from defensive end and moving him to Mike linebacker in his 4-2-5 scheme this spring.

"Our first unit is way head of our second unit," Johnson said. "There's a huge drop off. That would be a point of concern right now. I don't think we've got four tackles. I don't think we've got four ends who play at a level we've got to have. Hopefully by the end of spring we will."

The main concerns reside at defensive end. Keymiya Harrell is out for the spring with an undisclosed injury and is expected to return in the fall. Tackle Angelo Blackson, the line's second-leading tackler from last season, has been limited with an injury, too, but he returned to the field for a scrimmage Saturday.

"Some guys really have to step up at the defensive end position at the backup spots," Johnson said. Dee Ford (64 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 6 sacks), Nosa Eguae and Craig Sanders return at defensive end, but all three will be pushed by five-star newcomers Elijah Daniel and Carl Lawson when they arrive in the summer.

The front four has stopped the running game "pretty well," and the pash rush has been consistent, but lacks a dynamic player, Johnson said. The reaction speed against Gus Malzahn's hurry-up, no-huddle offense has been "OK" so far.

"I haven't really seen anything that doesn't look like it belongs on an SEC football field," he said. "But I really haven't seen a lot of impact players, just dominant, physical, 1-on-1 plays. That's something you want to see."

The three best players on the defensive line at this point, according to Johnson, appear to be the tackles: Gabe Wright, Jeff Whitaker and Blackson.

Whitaker says it's "an honor to play for a legendary defensive coordinator," whose instructions are as detailed as they are precise. Johnson, though, is looking for more production in the second half of the spring, especially from a group that contends they were the reason why the secondary gave up so many deep passes last season.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:32:15 PM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Huge Dropoff from DT starters to backups
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
I had such high hopes for Whitaker from the day he signed, but so far he has not lived up to the hype.  I sincerely hope he has a breakout season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
I'm placing way too much hope in Adams and Lawson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
Just going off perception, but it seems to me that the majority of your "impact" players will come from either the ends or LB's.  I just don't recall a huge number of guys on the interior line that could really take over a game or be game changers.  Nick Fairley and N'DummyKong Shoe are the two obvious ones that come to mind.  Special players who could flat out beat the guy in front of them and destroy a QB or RB.

I assume it's because as a DT, you're normally caught inside, trying to get past guys who are on the average, a good bit bigger than you, while a DE is usually much faster than the tackle with much more space in which to use that quickness.  Honestly, if our tackles could play close to guys we've had in the past like, Josh Thompson, DeMarco McNeil and...oh shift...Tommy? Played at Opelika I think.  Went to the Falcons....Tommy...? (Maybe it wasn't Tommy....TJ?)  Damn it....brain fart.  Anyway, guys who could make a big play every now and then but for the most part, you just weren't coming between the tackles.

I'd be cool with that. But last year, our tackles were playing on skates. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
jackson
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Same.  Hoping it comes to fruition. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
I know nothing about either except the write ups and a little film.  I really have my hopes up on Lawson but the last few I thought would be impact players have gone snap, crackle, Pfffffft.......

Having said that, my only hesitation on Adams is that if memory serves, he didn't play in a very high classification in HS.  I believe Lawson did and had something like 26 sacks his senior season.  Plus, he was always described as the most dominant player at all these camps.  I'd be wary of Adams having the strength as a true freshman to be dominant in the SEC, especially playing on the inside.  The same may hold true for Lawson but his advantage would be having to go around 320 pound tackles as opposed to going through them, like Adams.

Bottom line....I don't know shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »
The difference between '08 to '09 seems to be due to Rocker because we lacked depth in '08 with mainly Blanc and Carter leading the way and then Clayton and Fairley really came on in '09 along with Goggans and Coleman (Ford and Eguae supplied some depth) which grew into a tough group.

Clayton and Fairley nearly tripled their stats and the entire line played as an unselfish unit and made many more stops than this present group would seem capable of with more bodies.
We finished with 17 picks and seems I recall Bynes getting a couple and maybe Stevens grabbing one also.

So knowing this we...
Coach 'em up!
Run stunts to get the best rushers into the backfield.
Put your best LBs on the field.
Get a couple of the new guys involved up front.

Problem solved.  :big:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
The difference between '08 to '09 seems to be due to Rocker because we lacked depth in '08 with mainly Blanc and Carter leading the way and then Clayton and Fairley really came on in '09 along with Goggans and Coleman (Ford and Eguae supplied some depth) which grew into a tough group.

Clayton and Fairley nearly tripled their stats and the entire line played as an unselfish unit and made many more stops than this present group would seem capable of with more bodies.
We finished with 17 picks and seems I recall Bynes getting a couple and maybe Stevens grabbing one also.

So knowing this we...
Coach 'em up!
Run stunts to get the best rushers into the backfield.
Put your best LBs on the field.
Get a couple of the new guys involved up front.

Problem solved.  :big:

And

Kidding, but no, I agree with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »

What this guy ^^^ said.  We can only hope they are THAT badass and sec ready.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

noxin

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:17 AM »
No mention of the huge dropoff between an average SEC DT and our starters?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »
Besides being a skrate up bad ass, what is Clowney considered now?  Is he a DE or has he beefed up enough to be considered a tackle? Seems on that infamous blow up of the Meatchicken running back, he came from the inside. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
Besides being a skrate up bad ass, what is Clowney considered now?  Is he a DE or has he beefed up enough to be considered a tackle? Seems on that infamous blow up of the Meatchicken running back, he came from the inside.

He is a DE and he slanted to the inside from his end position on that play. I think they move him around where ever they want to bring the pain from.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:18:25 PM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
Daaaaammmmn....I never get tired of looking at that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
Daaaaammmmn....I never get tired of looking at that.

I'll take "Things Snags Says While Showering With His BIL" for $1000, Alex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:06 PM »
I'll take "Things Snags Says While Showering With His BIL" for $1000, Alex.

I hate you so much right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions