Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Spring Practice

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I really can't say it enough,  I am so glad to see Owens at LB.

I second that emotion.  Assuming he catches on to the position at this level, that suddenly makes our numbers look a little better at LB.  And with Clay Finklestein pushing for more and more playing time, the sky is the limit for this group.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
Just realized Finklestein is not listed on the roster.  I guess when Ray Lewis retired, we wouldn't be able to keep him very long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
There seems to be a whole shitload of coaches harping on effort and intensity, which is good in one sense, but seems we may be way lacking in those areas early this spring.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »
...but seems we may be way lacking in those areas early this spring.

Lethargy hangover from Chizick's daze.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »
There seems to be a whole shitload of coaches harping on effort and intensity, which is good in one sense, but seems we may be way lacking in those areas early this spring since 2008.

Fixt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
BY AARON BRENNER | abrenner@ledger-enquirer.com

AUBURN, Ala. – Sounds like some guys have got a Case of the Mondays.

Remember what Gabe Wright said about not having any nice coaches? Especially on the offensive and defensive line? J.B. Grimes and Rodney Garner were nowhere near a tranquil mood to kick off the second week of spring practices bright and early Monday morning.

It was hot and humid coming off Easter Sunday – it rained overnight – which had to be difficult for the big boys between 250 and 320 pounds. Grimes and Garner weren’t interested in fatigue playing a factor.

Playing the part of drill sergeant Monday, Grimes in particular really took second-team center Alex Kozan to the cleaners for poor technique in a basic blocking drill. Over at the five-man sled, Grimes forced Kozan, Tunde Fariyike and Devonte Danzey to redo a push three times, impelling them to block lower.

Garner also asked a couple D-linemen for a do-over going under “The Chute”, one of those trampoline-looking structures that keeps ends and tackles low to the ground.

I even heard a specific mention out of Grimes’ mouth of “3-9” followed by “wake your (rear ends) up”. Yeah, you know the coaches are using that as fuel. It’s a new day … doesn’t mean yesterday didn’t happen.

Read more here: http://www.wareagleextra.com/2013/04/01/quick-observations-from-auburn-practice-4-grimes-garner-will-not-tolerate-monday-fatigue/#storylink=cpy

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »

The title of this video is stupid.

You either run a slant. Or you run a screen. There is no such thing as slant/screed.

Stupid fucking "sports" reporters...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
The title of this video is stupid.

You either run a slant. Or you run a screen. There is no such thing as slant/screed.

Stupid fucking "sports" reporters...

A forward slash is typically indicative of "or."  They would have used a hyphen if they wanted to suggest that it was a hybrid play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »
A forward slash is typically indicative of "or."  They would have used a hyphen if they wanted to suggest that it was a hybrid play.

It also could mean the are one and the same. But either way.

They are fucking stupid that they can't tell a screen play from a slant.

Fucking stupid people.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:35:29 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
It also could mean the are one and the same. But either way.

They are fucking stupid that they can't tell a screen play from a slant.

Fucking stupid people.

The slants are usually pretty easy to identify...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Not sure if posted already: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1587918-auburn-football-lessons-learned-during-dreadful-12-season-will-pay-off-in-13

Early reports out of the Auburn weight room under new strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell seem to indicate that Evans would see something different if he were to join the Tigers for a workout now.

Russell uses three different-colored jerseys to measure where a player is in his program. Green is the highest, blue is the middle and orange is the lowest.

"The coaches would grade each player according to their performance in the drill, how much effort they gave, how they finished, their composure as far as acting tired, hands on knees, stuff like that, leadership," fullback Jay Prosch told Joel Erickson of al.com. "If they feel like you're slacking, it's a deduction, so it's an overall grade. If you're above a certain point, it shows your jersey color."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
a slant screen is a pass to Thrilla behind the line of scrimmage
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »

This young man is a hell of a pick up for us this year.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:43:02 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
Not sure if posted already: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1587918-auburn-football-lessons-learned-during-dreadful-12-season-will-pay-off-in-13

Early reports out of the Auburn weight room under new strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell seem to indicate that Evans would see something different if he were to join the Tigers for a workout now.

Russell uses three different-colored jerseys to measure where a player is in his program.Green is the highest, blue is the middle and orange is the lowest.

"The coaches would grade each player according to their performance in the drill, how much effort they gave, how they finished, their composure as far as acting tired, hands on knees, stuff like that, leadership," fullback Jay Prosch told Joel Erickson of al.com. "If they feel like you're slacking, it's a deduction, so it's an overall grade. If you're above a certain point, it shows your jerseycolor."

For those wondering about the different colored Jerseys...

Green is for Champion Level Perfomance
Blue is an Average Joe that could be Championship Level
Orange is for "Get your ass in gear or you won't play a down this year."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »
Fucking good...
Trovon....my man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »

Better Tackling? Ellis Johnson Finds Role Model in Justin Garrett
 The defensive coordinator emphasizing tackling
 By Charles Goldberg, AuburnTigers.com
 AUBURN — Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson says he has a good role model in his quest to make the Tigers better tacklers.

Exhibit A: Justin Garrett.

Garrett, who is moving from linebacker to the new hybrid "star" safety position, has impressed Johnson this spring practice with his ability to play the new position. And when it comes to tackling?

"He is, without a doubt, the best we’ve got," Johnson said. "He hasn’t played much ball, not in games around here. It’s not always game experience when it comes to something as simple as physically tackling."

Johnson says he'll have a better grasp on tackling by the end of spring practice.

"I'll know whether if it’s want-to or know-how-to," he said.

Johnson says tackling is a priority this spring. Saturday's scrimmage in Jordan-Hare Stadium will be a good test for that, Johnson said.

He's already formed some opinions.

"The most pleasing thing overall is attitude. The most disappointing thing right now, and this is just two practices with live tackling is just our tackling," he said. "Tomorrow will be a huge thing. It’s not going to be as much about Xs-and-Os. We want to give them enough Xs and Os to strain them a little bit and see who can learn and function under pressure, but it’s really more about fundamentals and seeing if we’re going to improve in tackling."

Which brings Johnson back to Garrett.

"He's got great closing speed. That’s huge when you make open-field in space tackles," Johnson said. "He's got good contact speed – in other words, when he’s about to make contact, he has that explosiveness where he runs through it and doesn’t gather, and settle, he runs through things.

"He's one of the ones who’s been a bright spot. We’ve used him as an example to point out to other players. Hopefully, it’ll be infectious and other guys will start picking up on it. He’s got an attitude, great athleticism, that closing speed with good angles, and he’s going to make contact and he likes contact."

---
 Ellis Johnson looks for better tackling
 (Todd Van Emst photo)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
Better Tackling? Ellis Johnson Finds Role Model in Justin Garrett
 The defensive coordinator emphasizing tackling
 By Charles Goldberg, AuburnTigers.com
 AUBURN — Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson says he has a good role model in his quest to make the Tigers better tacklers.

Exhibit A: Justin Garrett.

Garrett, who is moving from linebacker to the new hybrid "star" safety position, has impressed Johnson this spring practice with his ability to play the new position. And when it comes to tackling?

"He is, without a doubt, the best we’ve got," Johnson said. "He hasn’t played much ball, not in games around here. It’s not always game experience when it comes to something as simple as physically tackling."

Johnson says he'll have a better grasp on tackling by the end of spring practice.

"I'll know whether if it’s want-to or know-how-to," he said.

Johnson says tackling is a priority this spring. Saturday's scrimmage in Jordan-Hare Stadium will be a good test for that, Johnson said.

He's already formed some opinions.

"The most pleasing thing overall is attitude. The most disappointing thing right now, and this is just two practices with live tackling is just our tackling," he said. "Tomorrow will be a huge thing. It’s not going to be as much about Xs-and-Os. We want to give them enough Xs and Os to strain them a little bit and see who can learn and function under pressure, but it’s really more about fundamentals and seeing if we’re going to improve in tackling."

Which brings Johnson back to Garrett.

"He's got great closing speed. That’s huge when you make open-field in space tackles," Johnson said. "He's got good contact speed – in other words, when he’s about to make contact, he has that explosiveness where he runs through it and doesn’t gather, and settle, he runs through things.

"He's one of the ones who’s been a bright spot. We’ve used him as an example to point out to other players. Hopefully, it’ll be infectious and other guys will start picking up on it. He’s got an attitude, great athleticism, that closing speed with good angles, and he’s going to make contact and he likes contact."

---
 Ellis Johnson looks for better tackling
 (Todd Van Emst photo)
I cannot remember the last time that we had an AU DC talk this much about making tackling and fundamentals. We all saw it. We all knew we sucked at it. Why didn't our million dollar coaches see it and address it? Befumduzzles me. I think I can translate CEJ: We still suck at tackling but we will get better. Justin Garrett is the only one who doesn't suck and looks really good at wrapping up and running through and knocking mf's down--not just trying to put a titty lick on them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »
I cannot remember the last time that we had an AU DC talk this much about making tackling and fundamentals. We all saw it. We all knew we sucked at it. Why didn't our million dollar coaches see it and address it? Befumduzzles me. I think I can translate CEJ: We still suck at tackling but we will get better. Justin Garrett is the only one who doesn't suck and looks really good at wrapping up and running through and knocking mf's down--not just trying to put a titty lick on them.
2 words.

weak 'fucking' practices!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum