Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Spring Practice

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
I think we kick some serious ass this year on the scoreboard.

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1488767

Shall I go get you Chip Kelly's record against the SEC or can you do that yourself?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 09:01:30 AM »

AUBURN | Is it possible we all were wrong about the attack Auburn used from 2009-11?
Todd Van Emst/Auburn U.

Gus Malzahn always has pushed the idea of running at maximum pace on offense, though his previous Auburn offenses accomplished that goal only in spurts.
It was billed as Gus Malzahn's offense, and he indeed was the man calling the plays, yet something always seemed amiss. He was the author of a book that espoused the virtues of maximizing the number of plays to an extreme.

While Auburn exhibited pace at times during the 2009 and 2010 season, things rarely moved at break-neck speed for more than short bursts.

Now we may know why.

Wideout Trovon Reed said Wednesday that former head coach Gene Chizik had a tendency to throttle down Malzahn's plans -- both in practice and during autumn Saturdays.

"Sometimes Coach Chizik slowed us down to get the defense (a rest)," Reed said. "Now, pfft, it's fast. Like, for the first day, that was fast. I can only imagine that as we get better as a team, they'll keep pushing up and it could get extremely fast."

There always were doubts about the real reason behind the Tigers' modest offensive pace during Malzahn's tenure as offensive coordinator. He always was diplomatic when asked about it, but the truth appears to be out at this point.

Regardless, Reed feels like the Tigers are headed in the right direction now.

"You can always keep a team off-balance," Reed said. "We do so much stuff - sometimes I'll be confused. I know if I'm confused, and I study it ever day, a defense is going to be confused. We've got an edge. We've just got to take advantage of it."

SETTLING IN: Jermaine Whitehead has spent time at cornerback, nickel and safety during his two seasons on the Plains. He struggled during his first trial at safety last fall, but said Wednesday that he's finally gaining next-level awareness in the back.

"I think the game is starting to make a whole lot more sense," Whitehead said. "I've got a year under my belt. I'm feeling better, feeling more comfortable every day. It's a new day and things are starting to turn around for me."

Whitehead is working at free safety.

Safety Demetruce McNeal is hoping to make more plays in coverage this season.

Demetruce McNeal finished second with 90 tackles last season as a box safety.

He expects that number to drop this fall.

McNeal said Wednesday that he's been deployed as a boundary safety, which entails more high-profile coverage assignments. Those will test the rising junior's abilities, though he's excited about the challenge.

"They ? throw it to the boundary more than they do to the field in this league," McNeal said. "So that's basically why they want me over there. It's not much more responsibility, but it's more of me being more rangy -- more than just coming down in the box so much (like) I did on the field side last year. Last year, I was in the box so much. That's why I had 90 tackles. But this time, they just want me to show my range and just try to get some more interceptions."

MOONLIGHTING: Robenson Therezie opened spring ball as a boundary cornerback, but his job may expand in April.

The rising junior said he's one of a handful of players being considered for the speed-back role handled by Onterio McCalebb since 2009. Therezie was nicknamed "Cadillac" in high school by his coach, who saw a resemblance to former Auburn tailback Carnell "Cadillac" Williams while carrying the ball.

"It will be a possibility," Therezie said. "I spoke with Coach Malzahn and it seems like a plan. I won't mind at all playing (McCalebb's) position."

Still, he's a defensive back by trade. And he's OK with that.

"I believe I'm going to be a cornerback, boundary cornerback, because I'm the type of guy to stop the run first," Therezie said. "Last spring, I've improved my cover skills. Boundary corner is my position and it fits what type of player I am. I feel like physical is my middle name."

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1489049
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
I think guys like Nova can survive in a game somewhat just off athletic ability and instinct. I don't think jake has that luxury. He has to be smarter, be a student of the coachinh and learn. Which is/was a problem under Chizik and co. Nova thrived in spite of chiz.

In other words, he's really white.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »

In other words, he's really white.

I'd say it doesn't help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
Nice video. http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/auburn_football_report.html

Not that I'm complaining, but I just wonder what happened to those tight ass shorts they had last year? LOL
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:36 PM »

Shall I go get you Chip Kelly's record against the SEC or can you do that yourself?
Yea those silly little spread offenses can't work in the SEC!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
Yea those silly little spread offenses can't work in the SEC!

I'm not saying Gus can't be successful but I am saying that if he fields defenses like Oregon against SEC talent week in and week out, his tenure will be short lived.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »

I'm not saying Gus can't be successful but I am saying that if he fields defenses like Oregon against SEC talent week in and week out, his tenure will be short lived.
The main thing Oregon didn't have is a nasty d-line and its hard to recruit SEC d-lineman to Oregon. That SHOULD'NT be a problem at Auburn but we'll see. But lets be clear, Auburn's defenses will never be all world under Malzahn. The main thing is for his D not to be gashed to death on the ground anymore. Were gonna give up points in some games. What we can't do is give up points and let the other team have long, clock eating drives. Thats why those nasty d-lineman are vital to Gus' success, imo.

I truly expect Malzahn football to be almost opposite of Tuberville football. Instead of low scoring defensive battles, we will get high scoring shootouts. Instead of Auburn winning almost 100% of the games they score 30 due to its stout D, Auburn will now be almost unbeatable if they hold opponents to 20 or below due to its high scoring O. Instead of playing stout D that doesn't give an inch and trying not beat yourself with turnovers, Auburn will now be wideopen on O and try to create turnovers to get stops. Gonna be interesting to see if the success is the same though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »
As far as defense goes I BELIEVE Gus has the right crew in here to deliver what we expect on his level of thinking. That being said I do not expect a shut-down defense but one that more or less will resemble the 2010 defense in possibly two years time, only with better endurance which I think is key because I think even Gus might pull up on offense at his choosing if he feels he needs to. But what we haven't seen in the last two seasons are forced turnovers by our defense and hopefully we can make a definite swing in that regard which can undoubtedly break the other teams' will.

We will have plenty of offensive firepower under Malzahn, a triggerman and plenty of playmakers even if they only seem parts of the system...but if we get that offensive line working as a unit this can soon turn into all the talk of the west.  I'm wanting 6 wins and a shitload of growing up and progressing as a team going into next season. I expect a hardnosed, resilient effort for sixty minutes even in defeat. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Wood-worthy videos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking.  I don't think we should even bother to field a defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
I really can't say it enough,  I am so glad to see Owens at LB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
"You can run, Jake..."

Edited out:

"I was running, coach..."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
"You can run, Jake..."

I fucking fell out when I heard that shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions