Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cheap grill/smoker?

Cheap grill/smoker?
« on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
My gas grill has some issues, so I'm now in need of a new outdoor cooking device.  I'm looking to spend less than $100 and I'd like to switch to using charcoal/wood with the option to smoke. 

Any suggestions?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: Cheap grill/smoker?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Academy Sports usually has good prices on grills/smokers if you have one local. 

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27651_-1__?N=77985508

Their price is $80.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
Or even better buy you a webber kettle grill for grilling and follow the Alton Brown method for making a homemade ceramic smoker.

http://www.myspace.com/video/keith/alton-brown-39-s-pulled-pork-made-with-clay-pot-smoker/103721759
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
What about an Ugly Drum Smoker?  I'm thinking about building one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »
I find good deals on craigslist.org. Used yes, but a good grill/smoker, it won't matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
Or even better buy you a webber kettle grill for grilling and follow the Alton Brown method for making a homemade ceramic smoker.

http://www.myspace.com/video/keith/alton-brown-39-s-pulled-pork-made-with-clay-pot-smoker/103721759

This is the correct answer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
This is the correct answer.

I must agree, The Weber can be seen at BBQ comps all over. Killer smoked turkey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »
Academy Sports usually has good prices on grills/smokers if you have one local. 

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27651_-1__?N=77985508

Their price is $80.

These things are too damn small.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
What about an Ugly Drum Smoker?  I'm thinking about building one.

To do this one right you will be in it for several hundred dollars.   Yes, you can do one cheaper.  I'm in the process of scripting out a plan to build one...locating a food grade barrel can be a challenge to some.  Also, I have a couple of contacts for welding but I will have to send it out to a local shop for the paint job.

I own a Weber for grilling...smoking on it takes a bit of time learn.  Make sure you by the larger diameter Weber.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »
To do this one right you will be in it for several hundred dollars.   Yes, you can do one cheaper.  I'm in the process of scripting out a plan to build one...locating a food grade barrel can be a challenge to some.  Also, I have a couple of contacts for welding but I will have to send it out to a local shop for the paint job.

I own a Weber for grilling...smoking on it takes a bit of time learn.  Make sure you by the larger diameter Weber.
I found a spreadsheet that listed parts totaling $186.  They found a $30 drum though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
cheap 
/CHÄ“p/
Adjective
(of an item for sale) Low in price; worth more than its cost.
Adverb
At or for a low price: "a house that was going cheap".
Synonyms
adjective.     inexpensive - low - shoddy
adverb.     cheaply - on the cheap

http://www.meijer.com/s/char-griller-kamado-kooker-charcoal-grill-and-smoker-brown/_/R-202682;jsessionid=8E9DD68CF78CC63F54F5B26973D5705A.instance04?CAWELAID=1070946748&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google-G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Outdoor_Living_Patio&kpid=674056

Lowe's should have them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:01:55 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 07:23:26 AM »

Have had two made for me in the past. I came up hwy 43 from Mobile and saw several efforts wasting away outdoors. They managed burning the lids and gave up I suppose. But the right hardware, hinges is all important for the lid to close properly. And try to find some 3/4" stainless steel diamond wire for your rack. It will be your highest expense and will last the life of your grill w/o fear of rust and it's far better than any alternative. Get a large sheet of the cheap stuff (square pattern) to cut into about four pieces (extras) for the bottom grate to keep the extreme heat from the body.

The best crafted drumstyle grills (I've ever seen) are at Carmeuse. a limestone plant in Saginaw near Alabaster, AL and the guy who works there wants $275-325. He generally totes a couple around in his pick-up truck to show off AND YEAH, HE'S THAT GOOD. You can't get a manufactured one close to this w/o sacrificing space. Have never spoken to him only inquired through a friend that pulls a deluxe trailer grill that he uses for events.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions