Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Brunswick Stew

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Brunswick Stew
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
I've eaten Brunswick stew about 8,000 times in my life, but for some reason, had never even thought about taking a stab at making some. Had a bunch of people over Saturday so I gave it a shot. It turned out great, but I quickly found out that everybody has their own version that makes it "Real Brunswick Stew".  I had Googlized a few recipes and basically combined ingredients to come up with my own version.  One recipe started out with a can of Sloppy Joe sauce and canned Castleberry BBQ pork.  For the meat, I decided to go by a local BBQ joint and get a pound of chopped pork and a pound of chopped chicken.  (I was later told it wasn't authentic unless you cooked your own chicken and pork shoulder, butt etc.)  Anywho:

1 Pound each of chopped pork/chicken
2 cans of yellow corn
2 cans of white corn
1 can of white beans
2 potatoes diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can Chicken Broth
1 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
1 Cup of Ketchup
Half cup of Worcestershire sauce
Onion Powder (Not a fan of the onion so I used powder)

Put it in the Crotch Pot for 8 hours on low.  Serve. Funny how everyone was woofing it down like they'd been starved for a week, all the while talking about how they make it. But, I guess that's one of those dishes you really can't go wrong with.  Just put a bunch of great flavors together and let em' cook all day. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Brunswick Stew
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
I love it. Whether its Virginia style, north Carolina or Georgia - I like em all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
(I was later told it wasn't authentic unless you cooked your own chicken and pork shoulder, butt etc.)

The don't serve them any. Let them starve the ungrateful SOBs. You let me know if you need some smoked meat.

Brunswick Stew...

The ingredients:
1/2 smoked boston butt (pulled) (around 4-5 lbs raw weight)
1 smoked chicken (split & shredded)
2 cans of corn (undrained)
2 cans of Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup of hot sauce
5 cups of water
1/4 cup of favorite BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 medium yellow onion (diced)
3 medium to large potatoes (diced & skinned)
Salt & Pepper to taste

*** Add all ingredients to pot and cook on high until it starts to broil. Lower heat down to medium and cook til the taters are tender. Stirring occasionally. When done, the stew should be thick.

I use Crystal Hot sauce and my own BBQ sauce.

Here's the basic sauce and basic rub I paid good money for and got ripped off. So, I give it away now.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1X4Nfj_vYJuMGBpRaeNZL7jqBydTCCiN0H9t2cBZgG3mHfftP4NCuaW_ggqoa/edit
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:56:02 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
I think there's as many Brunswick stew recipes as there are bbq joints and grandmothers in the south.  My mom used to make a version that was more like vegetable soup with some pork thrown in.  Actually not my favorite, too thin.  The one that had me hooked was Barbecue House on College in Auburn.  They had above average bbq with A+++ stew that you could make even better by making it Que Stew (regular Brunswick with extra bbq thrown on top).

When I was at Auburn we used to make a version for tailgating that we called "Canned Stew".  It was based on canned Castleberry Pork and Chicken, Hunt's Chili Sauce, Creamed Corn, and I don't remember what else.  Throw it in a big pot on the Coleman stove and consume with lots of beer.  Good times for the late season cold weather games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
I think there's as many Brunswick stew recipes as there are bbq joints and grandmothers in the south.  My mom used to make a version that was more like vegetable soup with some pork thrown in.  Actually not my favorite, too thin.  The one that had me hooked was Barbecue House on College in Auburn.  They had above average bbq with A+++ stew that you could make even better by making it Que Stew (regular Brunswick with extra bbq thrown on top).

When I was at Auburn we used to make a version for tailgating that we called "Canned Stew".  It was based on canned Castleberry Pork and Chicken, Hunt's Chili Sauce, Creamed Corn, and I don't remember what else.  Throw it in a big pot on the Coleman stove and consume with lots of beer.  Good times for the late season cold weather games.

Very true on your first statement. I always thought it was naturally from Brunswick GA. And it is to a certain extent. But I know a lot of Virginians claim they actually came up with the first recipe. It sounds like your grandma used of their style recipes which is described as more thin and tomato-y. I guess I prefer the GA style which I think is what most people have had and Carolina style which is similar as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
From the X-gate Weekend in Oct. This was damn good:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

chinook

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
From the X-gate Weekend in Oct. This was damn good:

with all the scenery more specifically of bushes and mountains in auburn...you choose to take a picture of a nearly empty pot that may or may not contain puke. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
with all the scenery more specifically of bushes and mountains in auburn...you choose to take a picture of a nearly empty pot that may or may not contain puke.

I brought those with me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
I partook of that pot.  Mighty tasty stew. :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »

The stew was that good. That was the end of it he took a pic of.

Btw, I have the pics and videos of the wimenz at teh tailgatez. One good one of the Six just about running into a pine tree checking out 2 blondes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
The stew was that good. That was the end of it he took a pic of.

Btw, I have the pics and videos of the wimenz at teh tailgatez. One good one of the Six just about running into a pine tree checking out 2 blondes.

It was that good, Gameday weekend, cold drinks, smooth drinks and new friends met. Except for the game it was a perfect weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
I'll be the contrarian (surprise surprise):

I don't get the appeal of this shit.  You just dump a bunch of cans of bleh into a pot and slow cook it until it's even more bleh.

Bleh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »

I don't get the appeal of this shit.  You just dump a bunch of cans of bleh into a pot and slow cook it until it's even more bleh.

Bleh.

You're an anti-Brunsite
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »

Bleh.

It's not necessarily cans. That's just the cheap and quick way. Besides, isn't that the concept behind any soup?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »

Bleh.

You beat me to it.  I've never liked Brunswick Stew.  It's not that it's bad.  It's just not good or something I'd willfully order or make. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
I like Jambalaya in a big pot like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
I like Jambalaya in a big pot like that.

is there any chance the teflon from that pot came off while consuming said Jambalaya? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
is there any chance the teflon from that pot came off while consuming said Jambalaya?

I don't use teflon coated pots. What I meant was a pot that size. The word "like" can have many different understandings, and in this case like=size. Kind of like the size of my penis in proportion to the quality and quantity of orgasms producted is directly proportional to my desire to wear out that pussy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:50:59 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »
I don't use teflon coated pots. What I meant was a pot that size. The word "like" can have many different understandings, and in this case like=size. Kind of like the size of my penis in proportion to the quality and quantity of orgasms production is directly proportional to my desire to wear out that pussy.

That bottomfeeder fella - he's a nice boy. He means well and everything. And he thinks he's helping. But the boy ain't right upstairs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
That bottomfeeder fella - he's a nice boy. He means well and everything. And he thinks he's helping. But the boy ain't right upstairs.

Nice...I say, nice boy.  But about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions