Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Saban Oversigns...Again

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Saban Oversigns...Again
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »
At least seven kids will lose their scholarship at Alabama because Saban is a heartless dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Saban Oversigns...Again
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
At least seven kids will lose their scholarship at Alabama because Saban is a heartless dick.

They'll be "take care of".

It's a process.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
I can't find one legitimate news article chastising him for it.

But the math adds up, unless someone can correct me.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/126252
85-12+25=85?

You want to know why Alabama wins year after year, that's why. Alabama has 9 seniors and 3 juniors who left early, yet they signed 25 kids to 12 scholarships. That means that 13 kids in Alabama are about to get ass $#@!ed.

Saban is nothing special. He was a mediocre coach at Michigan State (where he couldn't oversign), a great coach LSU (where he oversigned like a $#@!), a complete disaster at Miami (where he had a salary cap, limited number of draft picks AND picked Dante Culpepper over Drew Brees) and is great again at a school where he can treat kids like human garbage.

The time has come, either DeLoss and like minded people start pushing for massive reform or we better get on board and sign 25 kids every year and if 12 mommas are upset because baby boy gets cut after 2 seasons, well, $#@! him.

This $#@! is ridiculous and is destroying the college game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »
I'm not seeing the reason for outrage.  It's big business.  It's Nick Saban's job and reputation that's on the line, and he has the right and power to bring in the most talented players.

Be honest.  If Malzahn had brought in Reuban Foster, Trey Johnson, and Zach Cunningham, would you really be that upset if in June, we had an article that said, "Jake Holland has decided to pursue his degree at the University of North Alabama"? 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
I'm not seeing the reason for outrage.  It's big business.  It's Nick Saban's job and reputation that's on the line, and he has the right and power to bring in the most talented players.

Be honest.  If Malzahn had brought in Reuban Foster, Trey Johnson, and Zach Cunningham, would you really be that upset if in June, we had an article that said, "Jake Holland has decided to pursue his degree at the University of North Alabama"?
It's fucked up that kids lose scholarships that were promised to them. Especially in that kind of bulk.

It should weigh heavily in a kid's mind before he signs with them, but obviously they're not smart enough to figure that out.

The rule that requires 85 scholarships is broken if it allows you to sign these kids, make them think they have full scholarships to college, then swipe them out from under them. Morally reprehensible, in my opinion.

Let alone that it's basically the same thing as Bryant era signing as many damn kids as you want, except you have to cut the fat. It's keeping them away from other programs. It's worse, in my opinion to promise the scholarships, and not honor them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
The thing about it is that in the modern era of scholarship limits, this is bound to happen every now and then...case in point Hutchinson.  But when it happens to the tune of double-digits EVERY DAMN YEAR, people should sit up and take notice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
Scholarships are renewable every semester, correct?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »

Sometimes civilian casualties are good. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Scholarships are renewable every semester, correct?

Not at Auburn.

4 year guarantee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

noxin

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
4 year guarantee.

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
It's fucked up that kids lose scholarships that were promised to them. Especially in that kind of bulk.

It should weigh heavily in a kid's mind before he signs with them, but obviously they're not smart enough to figure that out.

The rule that requires 85 scholarships is broken if it allows you to sign these kids, make them think they have full scholarships to college, then swipe them out from under them. Morally reprehensible, in my opinion.

Let alone that it's basically the same thing as Bryant era signing as many damn kids as you want, except you have to cut the fat. It's keeping them away from other programs. It's worse, in my opinion to promise the scholarships, and not honor them.

It's totally fucked up. 

But it's not against the rules.  And where do you draw the line?

Look at our team last year.  You think Malzahn wants guys back that aren't going to buy into the program? 

What if we have a player that is a B student, a good guy, desires to obtain his college degree, is going into his second year at Auburn but just doesn't have it in him to make himself a truly competitive SEC football player. 

Would you not as a fan want him off the team? 

Alabama's set their standards higher because they've won so much and recruited so well.  It sucks but this has been an issue with Saban since he arrived in Tuscaloosa.  They know what they're getting themselves into. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

noxin

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
In my opinion, you should have to do all of your processing before NSD, and only be able to hand out as many scholarships as you have available in your 85 limit.

At least he would have to cut 10+ kids in less than a month after the season ends, making the process a little more obvious than how he cuts 1-2 kids every month or so after taking them through spring tryouts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
In my opinion, you should have to do all of your processing before NSD, and only be able to hand out as many scholarships as you have available in your 85 limit.

At least he would have to cut 10+ kids in less than a month after the season ends, making the process a little more obvious than how he cuts 1-2 kids every month or so after taking them through spring tryouts.
THIS.

There's a huge difference in letting a guy go here and there for obvious discipline reasons, and systematically signing nearly double your allotted class every single year for 6 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »
When and if Emmert is gone from the NCAA, I hope (and believe) this will likely be addressed. This is likely one of the most important tools in Saban's tool box and he's a master at using it. Chiz seemed to be the opposite.

I don't like it, at the same time, I think there has to be some mechanism in place to oust slackers. The one year renewable schollies have in the past but they are disappearing in the SEC (despite what Heath Evans said). Chiz changed ours in order to appeal to recruits and Bama followed. I think UF also offers a 4 yr. I'm sure there are provisions in there that must be met but it's a dangerous game, imo.

Just like Saban uses the medical hardship schollies to process. As long as it's legal, he'll do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
After 3-4 guys in this class don't qualify, 1-2 greyshirt (I know one kid said in an interview that he knew months ago that he would greyshirt because of a knee injury), and I think two are backsigned, you're only talking 4-6 guys.  Alabama wasn't at 85 in 2012.  I don't think that 4-6 guys leaving after the season is unusual.

The past two years Alabama has been 1-2 scholarships under the limit each year.  In 2008 Saban awarded 3 scholarships to walk-ons.  In 2011 he awarded 2 scholarships to walk-ons.  Last year Carson Tinker was awarded a scholarship, and was kept on scholarship this season as well.  There are probably others that have been awarded that I just can't think of off the top of my head.  While Saban is no saint, and I'm not saying he deserves a pat on the back for awarding scholarships to walk-ons, I'm just saying that I think the "article" posted is somewhat inaccurate.     

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:08 PM »

That would be all warm and fuzzy and shit, IF all the croots this time of year were fully qualified, and assured of getting in school.   Some still have tests to pass, and NCAA clearinghouse hurdles.  Also scholarships are not officially "given out" until they are enrolled in school and sign their Grant in Aid.  I don't know the rules on eligibility if a kid signs a LOI, but never sets foot on campus.  (We all know how it works for guys like Grant and Blakely...they show up and participate in any way, and they've got to sit out a season.)  If a kid doesn't qualify, then he's released from his LOI.  But I don't know what happens if he's qualified, signs an LOI, but just decides to say "fuck it, I changed my mind".   (Don't know the NCAA rules...I know the school has to give him his release to play elsewhere.)

Anyway, as has been stated, unless a school has adopted the stance that Auburn has, of guaranteed 4 years, it's renewable each season, and every kid knows it.   If you're at turdscaloser, and you're a scholarship  Jr. running 5th on the depth chart, you probably know you're going to suddenly develop an injury or other health problem that will cost you your ride.  It's big business, it's not against the rules.  Auburn chooses the moral high road on this issue; bammer has won 3 of the last 4 BCS titles while choosing to process "dead weight" on the roster.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions