Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fuck Glee

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Fuck Glee
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Your comment, although clearly meant as sarcasm, is actually spot on. Taking a song, or even a cover of a song, and completely reproducing a carbon copy IS actually copyright infringement in the spirit of the law, and actually IS harmful to an artist's bottom line.

Oh, so you paid for those movies and helped out movie companies' bottom lines?  You may want to inform the RIAA of that...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
Actually, yeah. Jonathan Coulton's understanding of technology and how it affects his bottom line (far more positively than negatively) does play a part in me liking him.

Your comment, although clearly meant as sarcasm, is actually spot on. Taking a song, or even a cover of a song, and completely reproducing a carbon copy IS actually copyright infringement in the spirit of the law, and actually IS harmful to an artist's bottom line. It IS plagiarism. This is who the RIAA should be going after if they actually gave a fuck about intellectual property. Not kids acquiring digital copies of their favorite songs on MP3 that they could just look up on YouTube if they really wanted it on demand anyway.

And I'm gay cause I like dick inside me.

Now we are talking!!! Wait...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »
Oh, so you paid for those movies and helped out movie companies' bottom lines?  You may want to inform the RIAA of that...
Has nothing to do with the RIAA. The MPAA might care.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
I feel another 40 page thread about to happen...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »
Has nothing to do with the RIAA. The MPAA might care.

So you also downloaded songs and hurt artists' bottom lines as well?  FOR SHAME!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
So, Chizad is still going to federal "pound me in the ass" prison and it won't matter to him b/c he is gay and likes dicks inside him?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 12:15:58 PM »
and the Saints cheat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
and the Saints cheat.

Thought that was a given.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
So you also downloaded songs and hurt artists' bottom lines as well?  FOR SHAME!

Ah but...In the court ruling, US versus Fishbein, a man subjected to potential incarceration while wearing another man's suit is entitled to $10,000 worth of airline tickets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »
and the Saints cheat.
and Wench is the Bimbo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
Ah but...In the court ruling, US versus Fishbein, a man subjected to potential incarceration while wearing another man's suit is entitled to $10,000 worth of airline tickets.

Keep that ten for yourself.  Go and get yourself a nice piece of ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
Keep that ten for yourself.  Go and get yourself a nice piece of ass.
Muchas Gracias, Senor
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
and Wench is the Bimbo

Whats my mother going to say? I've disgraced my whole family!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
Whats my mother going to say? I've disgraced my whole family!

The hell you did!  Maybe we should adopt you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »
The hell you did!  Maybe we should adopt you.

My cousin Ellen married his half-sister's nephew, before she got bit by that dog and died.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
My cousin Ellen married his half-sister's nephew, before she got bit by that dog and died.
Well, damn it, Davidson, tell him!  You wrote a memo to Mr. Thomas explaining what I'm talking about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »
Well, damn it, Davidson, tell him!  You wrote a memo to Mr. Thomas explaining what I'm talking about.

That's fine; how many bimbos would you say there were?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
Wow.

Listen to this with headphones. The left side is the Glee version. The right side is the Jonathan Coulton version. Amazing.

At 2:15, they even leave the "Johnny C's in trouble". They don't even care.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130129/16045921819/broken-copyright-jonathan-coulton-is-actually-infringing-copyright-glee-is-not.shtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Broken Copyright: Jonathan Coulton Is Actually Infringing Copyright, But Glee Is Not
from the how-messed-up-is-our-system dept

Want to know just how messed up our copyright system is, and just how out of sync it is with the way people feel about copyright and what makes sense? Just know this: between Jonathan Coulton and Fox, concerning the dispute over Fox's Glee using Coulton's rendition of Baby Got Back on their show -- you could make an argument that Coulton may have actually exposed himself to more copyright infringement problems than Fox did.

Allow me to explain. When the whole thing first broke, we thought that Coulton took the right approach in basically just telling his fans about it. Then, when we heard that he was exploring legal issues with his lawyers, that actually seemed like the wrong approach to take, even if he was upset about things. According to various reports, right before the show aired, Fox finally reached out to him and explained that what they did was perfectly legal (probably true) and that Coulton should be happy for the exposure. Coulton's response was quite reasonable -- asking if that meant Fox would be crediting him. Since the answer was no, the promise of exposure rings a bit hollow.

That said, it's not entirely hollow -- because of Coulton's ability to whip up (completely reasonable) righteous indignation about this from his fans via social media. As he told Mashable in the link above:

"They were right. I did get exposure, but it didn't come from anything they did. It was sympathetic outrage on Twitter, and bloggers and journalists talking about how crazy it was."

[....] "Sometimes I forget that Twitter is something beyond just being snarky at the Oscars. All of a sudden something happens and you remember that this is an amazing, powerful tool." Coulton says. "My fans have a keen sense of justice, and this idea that we should be attributed for our work. People who are of the Internet realize that attribution is what we trade on."

And, of course, he's taken it a step further as well, re-releasing his original song on iTunes, but calling it Baby Got Back (In the Style of Glee) and promising to donate the proceeds to two charities associated with Glee: The VH1 Save the Music Foundation and the It Gets Better Project. Song sales are doing well, with Coulton's version climbing the charts, while the official Glee version of the song is riddled with one star reviews from his supportive fans (even though he's not encouraging people to do this) and is nowhere to be found on the charts.

Still, what strikes me as perhaps most interesting about all of this is that as you explore the legal issues, it is entirely possible to come out with an argument that says that if anyone is infringing on copyright here... it's Jonathan Coulton. Let me be clear on this: I am not saying that anyone has directly accused him of this, nor am I suggesting (in any way) that he should be accused of this. I'm just showing how misaligned the law is with what most people think of as a sensible regime today. So why might Coulton be in trouble? As he's noted repeatedly, he paid the compulsory license to cover the song via the Harry Fox Agency. Doing so means that he agreed (pdf) to abide by Section 115 of the Copyright Act.

What's that? Well, check it out here. Here's the relevant part for our discussion:

A compulsory license includes the privilege of making a musical arrangement of the work to the extent necessary to conform it to the style or manner of interpretation of the performance involved, but the arrangement shall not change the basic melody or fundamental character of the work, and shall not be subject to protection as a derivative work under this title, except with the express consent of the copyright owner.

Previously, we and many others had suggested that the changes that what Coulton had made could possibly be protected as unique creative works. However, he more or less gave up that claim when he used the statutory license, rather than doing a direct deal with Sir Mix A Lot, or whoever else holds the rights on the song. That also means, however, that Coulton did not live up to Section 115 and his cover, in all likelihood, violates the original copyrights, because the license he got does not cover the very different arrangement and melody he created.

That is, by any normal measure, insane. But that's the law. This whole situation has (ridiculously) exposed Jonathan Coulton as a "pirate" and Fox as being perfectly within the law. And that just seems silly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X