Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nerds on the twatters

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Nerds on the twatters
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
If you need a little laugh today, i spotted this and thought you'd all like this...

Yesterday, a neuroscience postdoc by the name of Leigh started a hashtag on twitter called #overlyhonestmethods. Then came the confessions.

Have you ever conducted scientific research? Are you familiar with the less-than-glamorous (and sometimes surprisingly slipshod) ways of the world's overworked, underpaid, and severely caffeinated scientists? Then #overlyhonestmethods is probably the funniest thing you'll read today.

so, actual tweets from the strict and always by the book, scientific community  :-X

Miriam Goldstein

"We sampled opportunistically"=leaned over the side of the ship with a dipnet, pausing to curse my short arms & barf.

dr leigh

we did experiment 2 because we didn't know what the fuck to make of experiment 1

Atif Kukaswadia
@MrEpid

We don't know how the results were obtained. The postdoc who did all the work has since left to start a bakery.

banmans
@banmans

Oh, you want an actual method you can follow? Pffft. Check the cover son, you're reading Nature.

Karen James
@kejames

Taq was incubated o/n at 20ºC because there were donuts in the break room & I forgot to put it back in the freezer.

Drug Monkey
@drugmonkeyblog

Two days to isolate the protein, five weeks to generate the hilarious double-entendre name for the gene.

Kane_WMC_Lab
@Kane_WMC_Lab

All experimenters -- and authors -- were blind to the study's hypotheses.

Rebecca Weinberg
@sciliz

rat sacrifices were performed to Tom Petty, because that's how we roll in this lab

Tal Yarkoni
@talyarkoni

we discovered the anxiogenic properties of our new drug accidentally, while trying to fuck with labmate Steve's coffee

George Burgess
@Ixcila

@MadukaOgba This experiment only works if you use the TBAF that's been sitting in our cabinet for eight years

NatC
@SciTriGrrl

This project was started to prove someone wrong. They were not. Dammit

Nancy Parmalee
@nparmalee

@SciTriGrrl @Geeka "We did it this way out of adherence to folklore and superstition."

Doctor_Strange
@StrangeSource

We repeated the experiment 5 times but never saw results this good before or since so we made a figure.

Neuroskeptic
@Neuro_Skeptic

The first author didn't write this Methods section and doesn't understand half of it

Proflikesubstance
@ProfLikeSubst

Though it all sounds tight now, we had no sweet fucking clue what we were doing when this started

Alex Wild
@Myrmecos

Our sampling locations happen to match tropical resort towns because field work doesn't have to be mud and agony.

Emma
@atomselectrons

This dye was selected because the bottle was within reach

Bora Zivkovic
@BoraZ

We wanted to see what would happen if we did X, just for fun. Great explosion! We came up with the hypothesis later.     

Sylvain Deville
@devillesylvain

we didn't read half of the papers we cite because they are behind a paywall

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Nerds on the twatters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »
Excellent.  Nothing like a little refreshing honesty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.