Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Time to Man Up

Time to Man Up
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
I'm done venting.  I've bloviated enough about why Gus Malzahn was a bad hire and how I believe he could fail.

But he is our coach.  He's the new guy in charge, and just like when Gene Chizik took over, we had to pull up our britches and rally around him.  No matter how bad it looked, we had to somehow find a way to support our program. 

And we need to do the same now.  Luckily, it's much, much easier this time to get behind Gus Malzahn.

We knew why Gene Chizik was a historically bad hire.  He was 5-19 at a program that showed no signs of progression.  The beat writers for Iowa State bludgeoned his departure with point after point of how Chizik was unqualified to be a head coach and how Chizik had no shot at being successful at Auburn.  There were stories of pompous, flimsy attempts to instill discipline on a football team like lining up helmets.  There were stories about vague blueprints and lack of creativity in game plans.  There were stories about how he failed to prepare his football team, how he failed to field a competitive squad when facing superior talent. 

We had a right to boo that hire.

Gus doesn't bring any of that.  Sure, there are some questions marks, and you can find them on this website if you look hard enough. 

However, Gus also has many positive traits, many of which don't come only from the undefeated 2010 season. 

Gus Malzahn's offense has always produced high numbers with a lot of points except for 2011. 

In 2006, he took over as Arkansas' offensive coordinator.  After a miserable season in 2005, the Arkansas offense helped lead the team to a ten game winning streak and a berth in the SEC championship game.  Some speculate that Malzahn's offense was not implemented and most of this should be credited to Nutt. However, there are no reports confirming that, and the fact remains that Malzahn was the offensive coordinator and the offense improved immediately upon his arrival. He was awarded National Offensive Coordinator of the year by Rivals.com. 

In 2007, he took over the offense at Tulsa.  In 2006, Tulsa without Malzahn averaged 26.9 points per game.  In 2007, with the help of Malzahn at offensive coordinator, Tulsa jumped to 41.1 points per game.  He also helped Tulsa be the first team to have a 5,000 passing/1,000 rushing player. 

In 2008, Malzahn had continued success at Tulsa, this time leading the nation with 570 yards per game.  The team also scored 47.2 points per game and had the #2 highest scoring offense in the history of the NCAA. 

In 2009, Gus Malzahn became the offensive coordinator for Auburn, a school that featured an offense ranked #104 in 2008.  The biggest issue with Auburn's team?  Quarterback.  From the time he was hired in December to August 2009, Gus Malzahn was able to put together an offense that broke the single season record for total offense at Auburn.  Auburn went from 302 yards per game in 2008 to 432 yards per game.  Most impressively, Malzahn was able to take a completely defunct passing game and guide it to setting records led by Chris Todd, a player that fans loathed the previous year. 

In 2010, Malzahn helped the Auburn Tigers set more records, win every football game, and obtain a Heisman Trophy for the starting quarterback.  No matter the talent of Cam Newton, it took a wide open, high octane offense to achieve what was achieved that year, and that was orchestrated by Gus Malzahn. 

In 2012, Malzahn took over Arkansas State and their offense improved across the board.  In his first year as a head coach, Gus Malzahn hoisted a conference championship trophy.

Now, that proves his effectiveness as an offensive coordinator.  Judging his history in college football (and high school if you want to go there), 2011 was an anomaly.  1/7 seasons featured a piss poor offense, and many have speculated that other issues at Auburn led to the demise of Malzahn's vaunted offense. 

But do we have reason to be excited about him as a head coach?

Yes.  And for reasons you may not expect.

The head coach's job is to instill discipline on his team.  To create an environment that fosters success on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.  To encourage his players to go to class, do the right things, and stay out of trouble. 

Do we have any evidence that he can do that?

In 2011, Arkansas State had 90 penalties for 785 yards.  They ranked #95 in the nation for penalties and averaged nearly 7 per game. 

When Malzahn took over in 2012, their penalties dropped from 90 to 61.  From 95th in the nation to 35th. 

Penalties are often a sign of poor discipline and lack of preparation.  Gus Malzahn's first college football team showed vast improvement in on-the-field discipline. 

In 2011, Arkansas State had 27 turnovers and a +2 turnover margin for the team. 

In 2012, Arkansas State had 14 turnovers and a +8 turnover margin for the team. 

Turnovers like penalties are a sign of poor team discipline.  Gus Malzahn improved the team in this area. 

Now, we don't have a panoply of Arkansas State beat writers giving opinions on Malzahn's brief tenure; however, we do have a few posts by Arkansas State fans on other websites. 

In terms of producing a product on the field:

"The improved strength and conditioning program.....you have to admit our guys had more endurance than many of the foes we faced.

The disciplined and tough training program....this did succeed in being so intense that it made the games themselves "easier" for the players." 

Gus has been described as a very intense, obsessive, organized coach that pays attention to detail and demands excellence from his players. 

In terms of off-the-field production:

"The improved focus on gaining a statewide following for the ASU program, including courting the Little Rock media.

The improved marketing and advertising campaigns."

Fans of Arkansas State noticed a change in the atmosphere of their football program. 

While I am worried about this hire, I see reason for optimism.  Going after Ellis Johnson and Tracy Rocker are very good starts when assembling an experienced, effective staff. 

It's going to take patience and we're going to be frustrated, but perhaps this can work out.  Perhaps Gus Malzahn will continue to work wonders on offense.  Perhaps we too can have a Johnny Manziel or find another Cam Newton. 

We have nothing else to do but wait and see.  Might as well pick up our shakers and shake them like hell. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:46:12 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Time to Man Up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »
As an Alabama fan, I thought I simply didn't understand.  I couldn't figure out why there was an epic meltdown.  As I said in the "It's Malzahn" thread, AU certainly could have done worse.  I think Malzahn could do quite well with a good DC.  He seems to be making all of the right moves right now.  Especially if the thing about not bringing on the existing assistants is true, and especially if he was able to recognize that guys like Rocker are huge assets.  I think that Ellis Johnson is a great hire as well, if that in fact pans out. 

Just one goat fucker's opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »
As an Alabama fan, I thought I simply didn't understand.  I couldn't figure out why there was an epic meltdown.  As I said in the "It's Malzahn" thread, AU certainly could have done worse.  I think Malzahn could do quite well with a good DC.  He seems to be making all of the right moves right now.  Especially if the thing about not bringing on the existing assistants is true, and especially if he was able to recognize that guys like Rocker are huge assets.  I think that Ellis Johnson is a great hire as well, if that in fact pans out. 

Just one goat fucker's opinion.

There may be the slightest whisper of hope left for you.....but don't get your hopes up goat fucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
I'm ALL IN.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:16 AM »
I'm done venting.  I've bloviated enough about why Gus Malzahn was a bad hire and how I believe he could fail.

But he is our coach.  He's the new guy in charge, and just like when Gene Chizik took over, we had to pull up our britches and rally around him.  No matter how bad it looked, we had to somehow find a way to support our program. 

And we need to do the same now.  Luckily, it's much, much easier this time to get behind Gus Malzahn.

We knew why Gene Chizik was a historically bad hire.  He was 5-19 at a program that showed no signs of progression.  The beat writers for Iowa State bludgeoned his departure with point after point of how Chizik was unqualified to be a head coach and how Chizik had no shot at being successful at Auburn.  There were stories of pompous, flimsy attempts to instill discipline on a football team like lining up helmets.  There were stories about vague blueprints and lack of creativity in game plans.  There were stories about how he failed to prepare his football team, how he failed to field a competitive squad when facing superior talent. 

Gus doesn't bring any of that.  Sure, there are some questions marks, and you can find them on this website if you look hard enough. 

However, Gus also has many positive traits, many of which don't come only from the undefeated 2010 season. 

Gus Malzahn's offense has always produced high numbers with a lot of points except for 2011. 

In 2006, he took over as Arkansas' offensive coordinator.  After a miserable season in 2005, the Arkansas offense helped lead the team to a ten game winning streak and a berth in the SEC championship game.  Some speculate that Malzahn's offense was not implemented and most of this should be credited to Nutt. However, there are no reports confirming that, and the fact remains that Malzahn was the offensive coordinator and the offense improved immediately upon his arrival. He was awarded National Offensive Coordinator of the year by Rivals.com. 

In 2007, he took over the offense at Tulsa.  In 2006, Tulsa without Malzahn averaged 26.9 points per game.  In 2007, with the help of Malzahn at offensive coordinator, Tulsa jumped to 41.1 points per game.  He also helped Tulsa be the first team to have a 5,000 passing/1,000 rushing player. 

In 2008, Malzahn had continued success at Tulsa, this time leading the nation with 570 yards per game.  The team also scored 47.2 points per game and had the #2 highest scoring offense in the history of the NCAA. 

In 2009, Gus Malzahn became the offensive coordinator for Auburn, a school that featured an offense ranked #104 in 2008.  The biggest issue with Auburn's team?  Quarterback.  From the time he was hired in December to August 2009, Gus Malzahn was able to put together an offense that broke the single season record for total offense at Auburn.  Auburn went from 302 yards per game in 2008 to 432 yards per game.  Most impressively, Malzahn was able to take a completely defunct passing game and guide it to setting records led by Chris Todd, a player that fans loathed the previous year. 

In 2010, Malzahn helped the Auburn Tigers set more records, win every football game, and obtain a Heisman Trophy for the starting quarterback.  No matter the talent of Cam Newton, it took a wide open, high octane offense to achieve what was achieved that year, and that was orchestrated by Gus Malzahn. 

In 2012, Malzahn took over Arkansas State and their offense improved across the board.  In his first year as a head coach, Gus Malzahn hoisted a conference championship trophy.

Now, that proves his effectiveness as an offensive coordinator.  Judging his history in college football (and high school if you want to go there), 2011 was an anomaly.  1/7 seasons featured a piss poor offense, and many have speculated that other issues at Auburn led to the demise of Malzahn's vaunted offense. 

The head coach's job is to instill discipline on his team.  To create an environment that fosters success on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.  To encourage his players to go to class, do the right things, and stay out of trouble. 

In 2011, Arkansas State had 90 penalties for 785 yards.  They ranked #95 in the nation for penalties and averaged nearly 7 per game. 

When Malzahn took over in 2012, their penalties dropped from 90 to 61.  From 95th in the nation to 35th. 

Penalties are often a sign of poor discipline and lack of preparation.  Gus Malzahn's first college football team showed vast improvement in on-the-field discipline. 

Turnovers like penalties are a sign of poor team discipline.  Gus Malzahn improved the team in this area. 

Now, we don't have a panoply of Arkansas State beat writers giving opinions on Malzahn's brief tenure; however, we do have a few posts by Arkansas State fans on other websites. 

"The improved strength and conditioning program.....you have to admit our guys had more endurance than many of the foes we faced.

The disciplined and tough training program....this did succeed in being so intense that it made the games themselves "easier" for the players." 

Gus has been described as a very intense, obsessive, organized coach that pays attention to detail and demands excellence from his players. 

"The improved focus on gaining a statewide following for the ASU program, including courting the Little Rock media.

Fans of Arkansas State noticed a change in the atmosphere of their football program. 

While I am worried about this hire, I see reason for optimism.  Going after Ellis Johnson and Tracy Rocker are very good starts when assembling an experienced, effective staff. 

It's going to take patience and we're going to be frustrated, but perhaps this can work out.  Perhaps Gus Malzahn will continue to work wonders on offense.  Perhaps we too can have a Johnny Manziel or find another Cam Newton. 

We have nothing else to do but wait and see.  Might as well pick up our shakers and shake them like hell.

That was long but worth the read time.  Great shit!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:11:01 AM »

I was gonna post the same thing, except with a lot less words....really just four words, patience is a virtue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »
Front Page material great breakdown Townhall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »
I was gonna post the same thing, except with a lot less words....really just four words, patience is a virtue.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:19:25 AM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the effort put into this. Stats and all. I needed help feeling better because the thought occurred to me last evening that without Tim Tebow, Cam or Johnny Foosball; the spread is an 8-4 (at best) offense in the SEC. That's not a stat I looked up. I am not that studious. It's just a guess.

Another observation is that most of the top teams in the SEC don't run it now. Who besides the Aggies?
We will def need the best D we've had in many years to compete for our division and the conference.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:37:08 AM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
Thanks for the effort put into this. Stats and all. I needed help feeling better because the thought occurred to me last evening that without Tim Tebow, Cam or Johnny Foosball; the spread is an 8-4 (at best) offense in the SEC. That's not a stat I looked up. I am not that studious. It's just a guess.

Another observation is that most of the top teams in the SEC don't run it now. Who besides the Aggies?
We will def need the best D we've had in many years to compete for our division and the conference.

The issue with the spread offense is that it's designed to get your best play makers in space and give them the opportunity to improvise and pick up extra yards. 

That's very difficult to do in the SEC because SEC defenses have so many great athletes. 

However, it is possible.  But like you said, you need a very good quarterback to make it work.  The New England Patriots make it work, but that's mainly because Tom Brady makes good reads and quick throws to excellent play makers.

Before criticizing the spread offense too much by saying it takes a Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, or Johnny Manziel to be successful, look at other types of offenses that have big time success.

It takes a Trent Richardson, Carnell Williams, or TJ Yeldon for a run-first offense to be better than an 8-4 team.

It takes a Peyton Manning or Matt Leinart to make a pro-style balanced attack be better than an 8-4 team.

The point is, you must have the right playmakers for any offense to be successful. 

Since the SEC started its run of BCS championships (2006-2011), half of the trophies have come from teams that run some form of the spread offense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
TL;DR

Seriously, good stuff.  I still think he will have much success with the right hires.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
The issue with the spread offense is that it's designed to get your best play makers in space and give them the opportunity to improvise and pick up extra yards. 

That's very difficult to do in the SEC because SEC defenses have so many great athletes. 

However, it is possible.  But like you said, you need a very good quarterback to make it work.  The New England Patriots make it work, but that's mainly because Tom Brady makes good reads and quick throws to excellent play makers.

Before criticizing the spread offense too much by saying it takes a Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, or Johnny Manziel to be successful, look at other types of offenses that have big time success.

It takes a Trent Richardson, Carnell Williams, or TJ Yeldon for a run-first offense to be better than an 8-4 team.

It takes a Peyton Manning or Matt Leinart to make a pro-style balanced attack be better than an 8-4 team.

The point is, you must have the right playmakers for any offense to be successful. 

Since the SEC started its run of BCS championships (2006-2011), half of the trophies have come from teams that run some form of the spread offense.
I guess I should have worded that more of my concern is with the HUNH. If you don't make  first downs, your D is spent by the half. The plus seems to be, if you can ever get the opposing D on their heels, it works like a charm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
I guess I should have worded that more of my concern is with the HUNH. If you don't make  first downs, your D is spent by the half. The plus seems to be, if you can ever get the opposing D on their heels, it works like a charm.
Ole Miss runs a HUNH and did relatively well this season.  Relatively well, when you consider they have absolutely no talent, a mediocre JUCO QB, and a B list coaching staff.  Of course, a 6 win season isn't going to cut it at AU.  But after the dumpster fire that has been Ole Miss the past 2 seasons, it's like their bowl game is the NCG.

If Ole Miss can do it, Auburn can do it.  But, you do have a point about the defense.  It's just going to take alot of work with conditioning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
BTW this is up on the front page.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
Here is my issue with the keeping of any of the old regime of assistants. They were here when the train derailed, went off the cliff, exploded, and burned to a crisp. Whether they were in control of that or not, they were a part of that and having them around the same group of players but trying to change the attitude and mindset is a difficult prospect.

I realize the Grillz ratings for this class may look outstanding but temporary gain is not worth what may be longterm cost.

Just my opinion. Carry on your group cheer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
Here is my issue with the keeping of any of the old regime of assistants. They were here when the train derailed, went off the cliff, exploded, and burned to a crisp. Whether they were in control of that or not, they were a part of that and having them around the same group of players but trying to change the attitude and mindset is a difficult prospect.

I realize the Grillz ratings for this class may look outstanding but temporary gain is not worth what may be longterm cost.

We heard rumors of racial divide, players giving up, tyranny, etc. this season. I see where the clean slate proponents come from. At the same time, by all accounts we've had one of the best staffs arguably ever at AU. I trust Gus knows how to cull.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »

One of my main issues with the hiring of our new HC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »

Spot fucking on!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions