Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tuesday Rumor Mill: Kirby, Step Right Up

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Tuesday Rumor Mill: Kirby, Step Right Up
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
How bad will the AU fanbase meltdown be if AU hires the Clemson OC?  Just curious.

If Smart goes to AU, there will be an epic meltdown of the Alabama fanbase imo.  I will probably be near the front of the line.  Huge, huge blow to the team and recruiting.  As far as the notion that Saban "drives the bus" on defense, that is completely wrong.  Even by Saban's own admission.  He's said numerous times that Smart handles the bulk of the game planning, and calls the defense.  He has also said that Smart understands the defense as well as he (Saban) does, and letting Smart deal with it really frees Saban up to handle other aspects of the team.  Alabama isn't paying Smart a fuckton of cash and giving him raises every year just to be a figurehead.  Saban wants him at Alabama to run the defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
Any idea how many of the top programs now have a coach that was hired with no HC experience?

Let me help you out:

Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, Stanford, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida St., Oregon St., Clemson, Nebraska, Louisville, and Northwestern

All hired their last coach without any head coaching experience and all made it to the top 25 this year

Stop with your silly logic and facts.  They have no place in this debate. We go only on opinion and unsubstantiated rumor here.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
Any idea how many of the top programs now have a coach that was hired with no HC experience?

Let me help you out:

Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, Stanford, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida St., Oregon St., Clemson, Nebraska, Louisville, and Northwestern

All hired their last coach without any head coaching experience and all made it to the top 25 this year

Florida - Was Texas' HC in Waiting Til He Didn't Want to Wait any longer. First year was rocky, second year much better.
Oregon - Brought in by the last HC to architect the offense, been there for years
Kansas State - Was there before and was brought back; you are mistaken.
Georgia - Was a hot "get" at the time from the Bowden tree
Oklahoma - Considered by many the reason Steve Spurrier has a championship ring.
Florida St. - Was coach in waiting til they didn't want to wait anymore. Clearly someone saw him do something. Plus, did Bobby do anything the last few years?
Nebraska - How's that working out for them?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
Florida - Was Texas' HC in Waiting Til He Didn't Want to Wait any longer. First year was rocky, second year much better.
Oregon - Brought in by the last HC to architect the offense, been there for years
Kansas State - Was there before and was brought back; you are mistaken.
Georgia - Was a hot "get" at the time from the Bowden tree
Oklahoma - Considered by many the reason Steve Spurrier has a championship ring.
Florida St. - Was coach in waiting til they didn't want to wait anymore. Clearly someone saw him do something. Plus, did Bobby do anything the last few years?
Nebraska - How's that working out for them?

And for all those "success" you listed, you could list how many people with no head coaching experience, put in a Big time program, and what they did.

Charlie Wies at Notre Dame
Mike Shula at Alabama
Randy Shannon at Miami

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »
And for all those "success" you listed, you could list how many people with no head coaching experience, put in a Big time program, and what they did.

Mike Shula at Alabama
Randy Shannon at Miami

And I can list 1 coach with head coaching experience, that has never won a MNC, can't beat Bama, quit on the Falcons before the season was over, gave a job to his fuck buddy, lied to his bosses about it, and can't seem to find a job ANYWHERE

Do you guys really want to be that team that hitches their wagon to Petrino?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
Stop with your silly logic and facts.  They have no place in this debate. We go only on opinion and unsubstantiated rumor here.
Numbers schmumbers. That's the thing I like about this place. I've done a lot of research this week on the coaching search at other www places and it would take at least 4 of those
Message  board posters to equal me in football knowledge. But they aren't quick to call me a motherfucker.

Here, any two of you combined get very close to my prowess, although I've been called a motherfucker a lot more. I appreciate the football intellect here. It's stimulating.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

RWS

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »

Mike Shula at Alabama
Randy Shannon at Miami
In all fairness to Shula, it really wasn't his fault that Alabama was stupid enough to hire him as a HC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »
Numbers schmumbers. That's the thing I like about this place. I've done a lot of research this week on the coaching search at other www places and it would take at least 4 of those
Message  board posters to equal me in football knowledge. But they aren't quick to call me a motherfucker.

Here, any two of you combined get very close to my prowess, although I've been called a motherfucker a lot more. I appreciate the football intellect here. It's stimulating.
Motherfucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
How bad will the AU fanbase meltdown be if AU hires the Clemson OC?  Just curious.

If Smart goes to AU, there will be an epic meltdown of the Alabama fanbase imo.  I will probably be near the front of the line.  Huge, huge blow to the team and recruiting.  As far as the notion that Saban "drives the bus" on defense, that is completely wrong.  Even by Saban's own admission.  He's said numerous times that Smart handles the bulk of the game planning, and calls the defense.  He has also said that Smart understands the defense as well as he (Saban) does, and letting Smart deal with it really frees Saban up to handle other aspects of the team.  Alabama isn't paying Smart a fuckton of cash and giving him raises every year just to be a figurehead.  Saban wants him at Alabama to run the defense.
Not the play calling dumbass.

The coaching, the practices, the philosophy, the process. Aighhhtee???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »

You are not the only bama I have heard this from...ahem
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
I really only care about SEC teams and how many of those were in the shitter at the time of the hire?

If you are coming off of a mediocre season, you might get away with it!

Muschamps resume is unreal. He was also in a HCIW situation as was Fisher. Auburn is also in a unique situation of being in the sec west and our main rival is a juggernaut at the moment. We are also going to need someone who can rebuild a lot of fundamentals in these players with little rool for error. Many of those other schools had a little more slack for OTJ hc training. And I'm not saying KS won't be a good coach but moreso I'm not sure we can afford a gamble on a guy who has never been a hc, in OUR situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
Just a point of order, but don't all coaches get a HC job somewhere before they were a HC. Saban wasn't born a HC was he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:12 AM »
Again I'm not rooting for Smart. But none of us know how any coach would do at our program.  All of the names mentioned are a gamble.  Some just have better odds then others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
Just a point of order, but don't all coaches get a HC job somewhere before the were HC. Saban wasn't born a HC was he?

Yes but they usually work there way up to a big name school. Most don't go straight from OC or DC to hc of Notre Dame or Bama. Not successfully anyway. Those that AUTR pointed out are the exceptions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »
Muschamps resume is unreal. He was also in a HCIW situation as was Fisher. Auburn is also in a unique situation of being in the sec west and our main rival is a juggernaut at the moment. We are also going to need someone who can rebuild a lot of fundamentals in these players with little rool for error. Many of those other schools had a little more slack for OTJ hc training. And I'm not saying KS won't be a good coach but moreso I'm not sure we can afford a gamble on a guy who has never been a hc, in OUR situation.

Why do you use all those fancy words to say what I done said?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »
Yes but they usually work there way up to a big name school. Most don't go straight from OC or DC to hc of Notre Dame or Bama. Not successfully anyway. Those that AUTR pointed out are the exceptions.
I don't really have the time, but I bet you more than you think. I can add.

Bill O'Brien
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Bobby Petrino
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
I really want a good hot dog right about now. I'll be in Montgomery today. Any recommendations? There's always Sonic but I want something good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

Bill O'Brien
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Bobby Petrino

Big schools. Besides fla state and fla (who were both well prepped as HCIWs) We are a big school in a very unique situation right now. It's a lot easier to cut your teeth as a hc at tcu or Oregon or Boise than an sec pressure cooker. The comparisons just aren't valid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

Bill O'Brien
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Bobby Petrino

But what kind of situation did they step into? Like was said before, if it was a situation where you had a somewhat stable program, then fine, take that chance. That is what we did with Chizik. But here we not only have a coaching cluster, but a revolt by the players too. A big gamble may just work out. Who knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
Again I'm not rooting for Smart. But none of us know how any coach would do at our program.  All of the names mentioned are a gamble.  Some just have better odds then others.
This is how I feel. Any hire is a gamble. I've only seen one hire I would classify as a homerun and it was Satan--and I didn't think it was a homer when they made it. But it turned out to be. Pat Dye was way down AU's list after we failed on Dooley and others. He turned out pretty damn good.

Maybe AU didn't think they could afford the risk of the BP baggage and maybe couldn't afford the $ for Patterson. It ain't always based on resume and shouldn't be.

I'm good with whoever in the hell we get because at that point he's already been got.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com