Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Memory Lane

JR4AU

Memory Lane
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »
1982 Iron Bowl to play at 8pm on Sports South if you're still awake after turkey and dressing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »
They were showing Iron Bowls on one of our local affiliates.  The guy who picks the games must be an Auburn fan: saw the Bo over the top game, the Tillman reverse game, and the Tre Smith game back to back to back.  Awesome!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
Funny thing, memory.  Bo over the top is what we all (most) remember.  However, he was conspicuously absent most of the game.  Used primarily to block for Lionel.  Wasn't until the second half he made his presence known, or was allowed to.  Largely because he was a true Fr. And after he scored the winning TD, he fumbled, nearly costing AU the game.  "Da Bar" lost the game chasing points early with the 2 pt try in the 2nd Q.  Also didn't realize/recall that was the famous Bear "We're trying to win the game" game, where he was a total ass to the female sideline reporter.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
The Tillman reverse game (Legion Field) is a favorite, my last in Birmingham.

I missed the better part of the 2002 game but the You Tube highlight video brought tears at the dedicated blocking of Nowland, Pera, Crittenden, Lindsay, McNeil and C.Wallace.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
I watched the 82' game last night.  We went 204...260..265...218 across the defensive front line.  It was fun watching that and I sat there thinking, "Oh my God, these teams tackled."  Not once did anyone throw a shoulder block.  Not once did anyone dive at a runner's feet.  If they touched you, they wrapped up.  Both teams.  Why have things changed so much? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
I watched the 82' game last night.  We went 204...260..265...218 across the defensive front line.  It was fun watching that and I sat there thinking, "Oh my God, these teams tackled."  Not once did anyone throw a shoulder block.  Not once did anyone dive at a runner's feet.  If they touched you, they wrapped up.  Both teams.  Why have things changed so much?

That was back when men were men and not pre-Madonnas.

I'm watching the corndogs and hawgs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking pound for pound these guys would kill any team they played from today's game.  Different day, different game.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking pound for pound these guys would kill any team they played from today's game.  Different day, different game.   
I think I recall that FS Mark Dorminey (early 80's) had shoulder worked on 4 or 5 times. These guys were tough.
They weren't thinking longevity.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Miss QBs like Jeff Burger and Reggie Slack too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »
Miss QBs like Jeff Burger and Reggie Slack too.
Burger's in a tree stand somewhere around Cedartown right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

Sportscenter highlight packages showing Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater laying out receivers with just his shoulder.  Unfortunately, most of these guys are not Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »
Sportscenter highlight packages showing Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater laying out receivers with just his shoulder.  Unfortunately, most of these guys are not Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater.

Also the elimination of athletic dorms, and the fact that coaches now get fired and sued for things that used to commonplace on the practice field. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions