Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Realistic Options

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Realistic Options
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
I did admit it, I said he's slimy and an asshole.  But that also doesn't mean that I can't think he under performs sometimes.  The man puts up gaudy numbers on offense, but he's lost some games because his defenses sometimes let the other teams run up and down the field at will.  Get the sand out of your vagina.  I said I would cheer for Auburn and support him if he was hired, but there are guys who have won who didn't try to stab their former boss in the back and have shown better judgement off the field.

I believe you're the one bitchin about coaching options. Go ahead and get Chucky and Stoops on the line and let me know their thoughts about coming here. Petrino and Strong are the best two available (meaning we can feasibly get them) and are both proven at this level. It's that simple.

He's rarely lost to a team that wasn't vastly superior in talent. He has beat more teams that he shouldnt have than he's lost to that he should've beat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
This is the offense that most of the folks on this board say "won't work in the SEC".  Furthermore, look what happened when they played La Tech.  No defense.  I didn't used to feel this way, but the evidence is compelling that you can't run a HUNH Spread, and also have a dominant, or even a very good Def.  I can't tell you why, but there just seems to be no way to do it.  I don't think it's a matter of having a good DC either.  They simply don't go hand in hand.  I love offense, but not at the expense of defense.

Two words:

BALL CONTROL!

The less a defense is on the field, the better. With the HUNH, defense is on the field A LOT!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
Two words:

BALL CONTROL!

The less a defense is on the field, the better. With the HUNH, defense is on the field A LOT!

That's probably a huge factor. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
This is the offense that most of the folks on this board say "won't work in the SEC".  Furthermore, look what happened when they played La Tech.  No defense.  I didn't used to feel this way, but the evidence is compelling that you can't run a HUNH Spread, and also have a dominant, or even a very good Def.  I can't tell you why, but there just seems to be no way to do it.  I don't think it's a matter of having a good DC either.  They simply don't go hand in hand.  I love offense, but not at the expense of defense.
I agree.

To me though the spread or whatever you want to call it can be unstoppable and can work anywhere if you have the right QB to run it.  I just think you have to hit it just right though, and turning over players every 3-4 years and you can be screwed real quick.

I think the problem you run into in the SEC is that defenses are so stout and have fresh legs rotating all the time that it is harder to be successful long term with the offense.   The spread getting stopped one time and having a shitacular defense can cause a loss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »
Top 25 teams in total defense as of this week.  I think the key in the argument is running a true HUNH.  Don't know what every team on the list runs but there are a lot of them that spread you out.  The two teams AU has played that run what I consider a true "Hurry up" are Clemson and aTm.  They run it at a pace that I think does put your D at risk since they actually hurry to the line and try to get the play off before the defense can get in their stances.  To me, there's a big difference in a team not huddling, coming to the line and getting their play from the sidelines.  Yes, it's probably run at a quicker pace overall, but I think one of the big intents of that style is to not allow substitution by the D. 

Alabama

Florida St.

LSU

BYU

Michigan St.

Florida

Maryland

Bowling Green

Michigan

Connecticut

Notre Dame

Texas Tech

South Carolina

Rutgers

Boise St.

Wisconsin

Oklahoma

Western Ky.

Utah St.

Arizona St.

Vanderbilt

Penn St.

TCU

Fresno St.

Missouri

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
And whoever asked if it was really Kingsbury or Sumlin's offense.  Sumlin was Kingsbury's OC for his Jr. and Sr. years at Tx. Tech.  This is Sumlin's interpretation of the Mumme/Leach Air Raid with input from Kingsbury.   Same as Holgorsen is doing with his own twists and adaptations, same same Franklin.  Base philosophy is the same.  Pass first, go fast.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
I agree.

To me though the spread or whatever you want to call it can be unstoppable and can work anywhere if you have the right QB to run it.  I just think you have to hit it just right though, and turning over players every 3-4 years and you can be screwed real quick.

I think the problem you run into in the SEC is that defenses are so stout and have fresh legs rotating all the time that it is harder to be successful long term with the offense.   The spread getting stopped one time and having a shitacular defense can cause a loss.

As to paragraph one...It can work anywhere, if you have talent that can compete with your competition.  The second part of that thought, though, every offense has to deal with turnover.  The key is coaching it, evolving it, and tweaking to fit variations is talent sets.  Sumlin, for instance, doesn't really look to be a QB run type team, but he's letting Johnny Football do his thing, within the context of the overall philosophy.  Not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole if you will. 

Agree with paragraph 2.  I'll even add, that you can have a just a moderately off day on offense, and have a shittastic D cost you a game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
Top 25 teams in total defense as of this week.  I think the key in the argument is running a true HUNH.  Don't know what every team on the list runs but there are a lot of them that spread you out.  The two teams AU has played that run what I consider a true "Hurry up" are Clemson and aTm.  They run it at a pace that I think does put your D at risk since they actually hurry to the line and try to get the play off before the defense can get in their stances.  To me, there's a big difference in a team not huddling, coming to the line and getting their play from the sidelines.  Yes, it's probably run at a quicker pace overall, but I think one of the big intents of that style is to not allow substitution by the D. 

Alabama

Florida St.

LSU

BYU

Michigan St.

Florida

Maryland

Bowling Green

Michigan

Connecticut

Notre Dame

Texas Tech

South Carolina

Rutgers

Boise St.

Wisconsin

Oklahoma

Western Ky.

Utah St.

Arizona St.

Vanderbilt

Penn St.

TCU

Fresno St.

Missouri

Other than Texas Tech (numbers inflated due to early weak competition) I don't think there's a true HUNH offense in that bunch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #308 on: October 31, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
And whoever asked if it was really Kingsbury or Sumlin's offense.  Sumlin was Kingsbury's OC for his Jr. and Sr. years at Tx. Tech.  This is Sumlin's interpretation of the Mumme/Leach Air Raid with input from Kingsbury.   Same as Holgorsen is doing with his own twists and adaptations, same same Franklin.  Base philosophy is the same.  Pass first, go fast.   

I thought it was Kliff Slingsbury. And Sumlin coached at TT?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #309 on: October 31, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
I thought it was Kliff Slingsbury. And Sumlin coached at TT?

No, I made a mistake there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #310 on: October 31, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
He coached at aTm before, hired Kingsbury while at Houston.  Got my facts mixed up in my head and didn't check them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
His exposure to the Mumme/Leach stuff came while he was at Oklahoma in the early 2000s, when they were still running a great deal of Leach's stuff.  And of course, Kingsbury brings his own flavor to it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #312 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
I love those Kingsbury Chocolate Bunnies at Easter. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
I love those Kingsbury Chocolate Bunnies at Easter.

:bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2012, 02:36:41 PM »
I said I would cheer for Auburn and support him if he was hired, but there are guys who have won who didn't try to stab their former boss in the back and have shown better judgement in their career decisions and also off the field.

This, slightly fixt.  CBMFP would get no personal love from me like Chiz does, and I don't care how many hot leather jackets he wore... The man is a slime ball.  If that's who Auburn's PTB choose, then fine - I am still an Auburn girl - but damn... tough to accept without feeling like we sold our souls for wins.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #315 on: October 31, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
So how will Petrino and Loeffler get along after the hire?  Aren't their offenses a little different from each other? I think Petrino likes to really hammer the ball between the tackles, doesn't he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #316 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
So how will Petrino and Loeffler get along after the hire?  Aren't their offenses a little different from each other? I think Petrino likes to really hammer the ball between the tackles score points, doesn't he?
Fixt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #317 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »
This, slightly fixt.  CBMFP would get no personal love from me like Chiz does, and I don't care how many hot leather jackets he wore... The man is a slime ball.  If that's who Auburn's PTB choose, then fine - I am still an Auburn girl - but damn... tough to accept without feeling like we sold our souls for wins.

No matter what we do, it's gonna feel like a failed marriage.

Do we go out and get a rebound ho (CBP)? Or do we look for a new mate?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #318 on: October 31, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
No matter what we do, it's gonna feel like a failed marriage.

Do we go out and get a rebound ho (CBP)? Or do we look for a new mate?

Rebound ho can be some gooood pussy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
Rebound ho can be some gooood pussy

Until the crazy comes out and you wake up one morning with your half your money gone and a picture of her with your toothbrush up her butt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.