Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Realistic Options

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Realistic Options
« Reply #200 on: October 22, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
If JJ is making the hire, bet he's taking a hard look at Bob Chesney of the Salve Regina Seahawks who compiled a 14-7 record over his first two years. This past season, Chesney led the Seahawks to their most successful year since the 1998 campaign, finishing with an overall record of 8-3 while earning their first ECAC Bowl victory in 13 years with a decisive 26-6 defeat over Worcester State in the North-West Bowl. The team ended the season winning each of its last six contests to finish the year ranked No. 9 in the New England Division III Football Poll.

http://www.salveathletics.com/sports/fball/coaches/20110601_chesney

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #201 on: October 22, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
Since Satan & Spurrier sucked as pro coaches, but damn good college coaches.  Maybe we should hire some pro coach that sucks.  Discuss
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2012, 08:12:11 PM »
defense sucked and recruiting was less than par.  He was also at ARKANSAS.  When was the last time they won the SEC?  When was the last time they were in the hunt for a National Title? 
Sounds eerily similar to an argument I heard right around January 2009.....it was about a coach at a school somewhere in Iowa.....can't quite put my finger on it.....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:13:47 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
How about this for out-of-the-box thinking:

Would you take this record from 06-11:

4-8 (2-6)
6-6 (3-5)
9-4 (5-3)
8-5 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)
6-7 (3-5)

0-4 in Bowls

This is Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  He has an interesting story:  He was heir apparent to the head coach who died unexpectedly in JUNE of 2006.  Fitzgerald was promoted from LB coach all the way to HC...with 2.5 months until the season opener.  The guy has had an exciting offense and respectable defense at what amounts to the Vandy of the Big 10...the functional equivalent of Duke.

NCAA Ranks:

Offense -
2006 - 97th
2007 - 45th
2008 - 55th
2009 - 34th
2010 - 44th
2011 - 34th

Defense -
2006 - T73
2007 - T95
2008 - T14
2009 - T35
2010 - T96
2011 - T95

Not necessarily advocating him, but would rather him than James Franklin since I think he's produced at a higher level over a longer time sample.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
Sounds eerily similar to an argument I heard right around January 2009.....it was about a coach at a school somewhere in Iowa.....can't quite put my finger on it.....
:haha: Seriously? You think thats a sound comparison? Look goat humper the reason you don't wanna see BMFP at Auburn is because the very day that it happens, Auburn becomes a threat. Yoda is dead on. How many times did Tommy T. beat Mullet U when he was at Old Piss? By the time he left town he was 7-3 against Harvey U. Point is I don't give a fuck what BMFP's record was against lord short dick while coaching the pigglets. I wanna see what his ass can do at Auburn because unless every recruitnick in the country had their collective heads stuck up their asses the last 4 years, Auburn is loaded with fucking far more talent than BFMP has ever had on his hands. And if he can take Casy Dick's retarded ass and throw for 300 yards in an SEC game, I'd love to see what Kiehl Frazier looked like with some real coaching.

And lets just be clear about something while I will give you the fact that you have a damn fine football coach, don't think for damn minute that this fucking Auburn fan it about to kneel in front of some fucking 2 foot tall statue and bow down. Ya'll motherfuckers can pretend he is the 2nd coming of the old drunken bastard all ya'll want but the fact is lord short dick's run is no better than Gene fucking Stallings run in the early 90s. Look the shit up. Auburn was able to survive that shit with Buster Brown as coach, so I'm more than positive Auburn, with BFMP, will be able to more than survive agaisnt all mighty fucking Harvey U.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »

I don't see any similarities.  Petrino has proven that he can win games he has not shown that he can win championships.  He is an offensive coach.  He was able to do things at Arkansas that have not been done in years.  If you really think that Petrino did not sit around this season and examine current teams and teams he has commanded then you might want to rethink.  If he is as egotistical as I think he is, he will come back with something to prove.  Any great coach or leader examines past experiences and previous and present successful individuals and adapts their behavior to become better.  You want proof, look at your own coach.  He has a reason and a purpose for doing things the way he does.  He has taken what he has learned on his journey to come up with the program he has today.

Again, if Petrino doesn't cut it after a couple of years the NEW AD can take control without the media backlash that JJ would have if he hired Petrino then wanted to can him after 2 years. 

A change from the top must be made if AU is going to truely rebuild into what we knew of AU football under Dye and Tubberville.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Yoda

« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
:haha: Seriously? You think thats a sound comparison? Look goat humper the reason you don't wanna see BMFP at Auburn is because the very day that it happens, Auburn becomes a threat. Yoda is dead on. How many times did Tommy T. beat Mullet U when he was at Old Piss? By the time he left town he was 7-3 against Harvey U. Point is I don't give a fuck what BMFP's record was against lord short dick while coaching the pigglets. I wanna see what his ass can do at Auburn because unless every recruitnick in the country had their collective heads stuck up their asses the last 4 years, Auburn is loaded with fucking far more talent than BFMP has ever had on his hands. And if he can take Casy Dick's retarded ass and throw for 300 yards in an SEC game, I'd love to see what Kiehl Frazier looked like with some real coaching.

And lets just be clear about something while I will give you the fact that you have a damn fine football coach, don't think for damn minute that this fucking Auburn fan it about to kneel in front of some fucking 2 foot tall statue and bow down. Ya'll motherfuckers can pretend he is the 2nd coming of the old drunken bastard all ya'll want but the fact is lord short dick's run is no better than Gene fucking Stallings run in the early 90s. Look the shit up. Auburn was able to survive that shit with Buster Brown as coach, so I'm more than positive Auburn, with BFMP, will be able to more than survive agaisnt all mighty fucking Harvey U.

Couldn't say it any better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

4-8 (2-6)
6-6 (3-5)
9-4 (5-3)
8-5 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)
6-7 (3-5)

0-4 in Bowls

This is Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  He has an interesting story:  He was heir apparent to the head coach who died unexpectedly in JUNE of 2006.  Fitzgerald was promoted from LB coach all the way to HC...with 2.5 months until the season opener.  The guy has had an exciting offense and respectable defense at what amounts to the Vandy of the Big 10...the functional equivalent of Duke.

NCAA Ranks:

Offense -
2006 - 97th
2007 - 45th
2008 - 55th
2009 - 34th
2010 - 44th
2011 - 34th

Defense -
2006 - T73
2007 - T95
2008 - T14
2009 - T35
2010 - T96
2011 - T95

Not necessarily advocating him, but would rather him than James Franklin since I think he's produced at a  higher level over a longer time sample.
Is he ready to gameplan and compete against nick sabans and mark richts week in and week out?  I'd say no. 

But I think he'd be better than Franklin.  Franklin's had some hothead moments.  I'm not a big fan of his. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
Is he ready to gameplan and compete against nick sabans and mark richts week in and week out?  I'd say no. 

But I think he'd be better than Franklin.  Franklin's had some hothead moments.  I'm not a big fan of his.
Franklin also made some calls in the game this past Saturday that would have made me grab my stadium hotdog and head straight to the exit (had I been scouting him as a member of the search committee).

Looking around the country, I see no name that immediately jumps out at me as the "homerun" hire that we have a realistic shot at landing. It pains me to say this because I absolutely hate the idea of this bastard standing on our sideline, but Petrino may very well be our best shot at getting this thing turned around quickly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
:haha: Seriously? You think thats a sound comparison?
Of course there are differences in the situation, just pointing out the reasoning.

Look goat humper the reason you don't wanna see BMFP at Auburn is because the very day that it happens, Auburn becomes a threat.
I don't think that at all.  I don't see any reason why I should be shaking in my boots over it.  Petrino hasn't been particularly known as a light the world on fire recruiter.  He knows how to recruit some good QBs, but I never saw a complete team at Arkansas.  True, if I were a student and had the choice between Auburn or Arkansas, it would be Auburn 10 out of 10 times.  But shit, there are kids that pick Miss. St, Ole Miss, etc over Alabama and Auburn as well.  To each his own.

Yoda is dead on. How many times did Tommy T. beat Mullet U when he was at Old Piss? By the time he left town he was 7-3 against Harvey U.
You're absolutely right.  As I said before, I don't think that the sole determining factor should be the record vs. Alabama.  I'm simply saying, in today's landscape, you might want to consider it.

Point is I don't give a fuck what BMFP's record was against lord short dick while coaching the pigglets. I wanna see what his ass can do at Auburn because unless every recruitnick in the country had their collective heads stuck up their asses the last 4 years, Auburn is loaded with fucking far more talent than BFMP has ever had on his hands. And if he can take Casy Dick's retarded ass and throw for 300 yards in an SEC game, I'd love to see what Kiehl Frazier looked like with some real coaching.
And if they're this fucked up, good luck unfucking that.  And if you can find somebody to unfuck Frazier?  I'd like to see it.

I don't really give a shit about Bear.  I wasn't alive when he was around.  I don't really give a shit about Stallings.  Shit that happened 16-22 years ago has no bearing on anything today.  I didn't say that Saban being at Alabama would absolutely cripple the Auburn program.  Auburn will survive regardless of who coaches at each school.       

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:30:23 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2012, 10:32:17 PM »
"I don't really give a shit about Bear."

BLASPHEMER

Harvey will be crushed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »
grab my stadium hotdog

That's the only thing keeping football season interesting.

I mean grabbing my dog...not yours...

It has to be your dog...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »
So, I'm perusing ITAT (the old site, not that abortion of a Fox production they're trying to push on us) and the Petrino debate has finally found its line of demarcation: the Creed.

The holier than thou crowd cites the Creed and says that Bobby is a morally bankrupt, suitcase packing, volleyball player schtupping, meanie.

The pro-BP crowd says, Fuck it.  Let's win football games.

I have a couple of thoughts on this silly debate:

1) BP lives and breathes the part of the Creed calling for "work, hard work."
2) Tubs once said that he'd leave Oxford in a pine box, but is not castigated by the Creeders.

I am firmly in the camp of wanting BP to be our next HC.  I do not think he is damaged beyond salvation and I think he would be much more circumspect in his actions now that he has lived through the consequences/humiliation.

Once again we are in agreement big Dan.

Fuck the other shit. He's paid to win ball games and run the program. End of story.

Writeup an ironclad contract in case he leaves or fucks up and were covered. Also no buyout for us. Bobby needs a job and we need a coach who wins. We have the leverage to negotiate right now with his recent troubles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »
Funny, Chip Kelly can't coach, but Petrino is our savior?  And you base these opinions on what?  Both are offensive minded coaches, and both pay little attention to defense.   Kelly has at least won his own conference, Petrino has not sniffed an SEC title.  He won Conf. USA and the Big East once each. Whoopty friggin' do.  Every Petrino fan says "he'll recruit better at Auburn".  Will he...based on what evidence?  Or will he take the approach he took at Ark. and just recruit offense, and let the defense have the scraps?

I posted his records in another thread.  There are as many holes in his resume as anybody out there, and that's not counting the "creed issues". 

On the plus side for Petrino, for him to take our job, he'd have to be an arrogant fuck to weather the shit storm of media, and that's the kind of guy I'd like to have in place.  If he's all you Petrino Pimps think he is, then we might actually be able to out asshole the midget asshole across the state.

The fucker has won ball games everywhere he's been. He's coached in the SEC and the nfl. Fucker can coach and is probably even moreso out to redeem himself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »
Of course there are differences in the situation, just pointing out the reasoning.
I don't think that at all.  I don't see any reason why I should be shaking in my boots over it.  Petrino hasn't been particularly known as a light the world on fire recruiter.  He knows how to recruit some good QBs, but I never saw a complete team at Arkansas.  True, if I were a student and had the choice between Auburn or Arkansas, it would be Auburn 10 out of 10 times.  But shit, there are kids that pick Miss. St, Ole Miss, etc over Alabama and Auburn as well.  To each his own.
You're absolutely right.  As I said before, I don't think that the sole determining factor should be the record vs. Alabama.  I'm simply saying, in today's landscape, you might want to consider it.
And if they're this fucked up, good luck unfucking that.  And if you can find somebody to unfuck Frazier?  I'd like to see it.
I don't really give a shit about Bear.  I wasn't alive when he was around.  I don't really give a shit about Stallings.  Shit that happened 16-22 years ago has no bearing on anything today.  I didn't say that Saban being at Alabama would absolutely cripple the Auburn program.  Auburn will survive regardless of who coaches at each school.     
No but Auburn can cripple itself without a stopgap hire and for that I'm convinced Petrino is the right guy at this time. Don't know long term but he makes us competitive right away. Don't know if he sticks with Van Gorder but given the circumstances it would make sense to retain him as he knows the personnel on that side of the ball. Petrino's a known quantity and a serious challenge for any opposing coordinator. I'll take his prior knowledge of Saban and the rest over any newcomer with a three year contract and the eventual shitload of excuses as to why this is going to take time. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
No but Auburn can cripple itself without a stopgap hire and for that I'm convinced Petrino is the right guy at this time. Don't know long term but he makes us competitive right away. Don't know if he sticks with Van Gorder but given the circumstances it would make sense to retain him as he knows the personnel on that side of the ball. Petrino's a known quantity and a serious challenge for any opposing coordinator. I'll take his prior knowledge of Saban and the rest over any newcomer with a three year contract and the eventual shitload of excuses as to why this is going to take time. 

He also never had the resources to have a defensive staff worth a shit in Fayetteville. He will be able to hire what he needs. Recruiting planes, facilities, etc. It will be a step up for him. He could really do some damage in a good way. He has won in the sec. That's important to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
Was just going to reiterate something I said a few weeks ago.....

Saban was leaving after 3 years at Bama, because all he does is leave!  He'd never stick around.  Bama was a stepping stone to get back into college. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Saban wasn't a hired gun, but I think the driving reason for him to be in his 6th season is BECAUSE of all the people who questioned his intentions and his ability to stay somewhere for more than 3-4 years.  Hell, I think he might really retire at Alabama. 

Petrino is the same.  He'll get back into coaching, at a big school, and he'll make it a point to stay and do right just to prove to everyone that he isn't a scumbag.  And he'll probably end up winning a NC where ever he goes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »

4-8 (2-6)
6-6 (3-5)
9-4 (5-3)
8-5 (5-3)
7-6 (3-5)
6-7 (3-5)

0-4 in Bowls

NCAA Ranks:

Offense -
2006 - 97th
2007 - 45th
2008 - 55th
2009 - 34th
2010 - 44th
2011 - 34th

Defense -
2006 - T73
2007 - T95
2008 - T14
2009 - T35
2010 - T96
2011 - T95

Not necessarily advocating him, but would rather him than James Franklin since I think he's produced at a higher level over a longer time sample.

Fact is, there's lots of really good football coaches out there.  Each with his own history, and style.  Not all the good ones have stellar W/L records either.  The situation they're in makes a huge difference.  For all the arguments I have against him, Petrino is a good football coach.  Look how dreadful that Ark. team is without him.  They have his playbook, his coaches, and his players.  They lack his organization, management, and motivation skills.  But what do all fans want to know?  How many championships has he won? Using BCS titles and or BCS Conference titles as the criteria...if that's the criteria, or is it?  I mean we all know, for instance, Urban Meyer and Mark Richt can't coach, right?  Stoops same same?  Chip Kelly, another guy with a stellar W/L record that sucks, right?  Saban isn't coming.  Miles isn't coming, and is a clown.  Spurrier?  Not coming, too old to be in it for the long haul if he did.  Can't hire an up and comer, like Coach Boom, cuz that isn't a "home run" and never works ou...wait, what?  So, what exactly is the criteria for a "home run hire" again? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2012, 09:36:17 AM »
If we hire Petrino the media backlash will be epic it's already starting. :facepalm:
Opening Drive ‏@openingdrive
@JohnKincade: Bobby Petrino is the worst person I have ever dealt with in this business. Auburn is better than him.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GH2001

« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
If we hire Petrino the media backlash will be epic it's already starting. :facepalm:

Don't fall for that bullshit. A lot of people in this state don't wanna see him at auburn because they know he will win. Simple as that. People laughed at Bama too for going after saban but they didn't give a shit and did it anyway. Now who is laughing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE