Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Realistic Options

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Realistic Options
« Reply #180 on: October 22, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
It's like I say it two weeks ago, and you retype it.
He said it better. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
I don't understand the big deal with Petrino.

He won 2-3 games that he shouldn't have over 4 years, and put some points on the board while doing it.  He gives 0 fucks about defense.  I'm not sure how well that philosophy would hold up in the same division as LSU and Alabama.  Never won the SECW or a NC while at Arky.  Saban owns him.  Not sure how he would recruit with a viable in-state rival.  Auburn could certainly do worse than Petrino.  Not saying he's just an absolutely terrible coach or anything.  Just not sure if you guys should settle just because he may be the easiest to get.
Agree. Fuck you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
I say again...

Baseball:

Hal Baird
Steve Renfroe
Tom Slater
John Pawlowski

Basketball:

Sonny Smith
Tommy Joe Eagles
Cliff Ellis
Jeff Lebo
Tony Barbee

Football:

Doug Barfield - Can't recall
Pat Dye - East Carolina and Wyoming
Terry Bowden - Samford
Tommy Tuberville - Ole Miss
Gene Chizik - Iowa State

Unless things change at the top.  Unless the attitude changes to one of getting in the arms race and buying bigger/badder weapons than the other guy....we'll hire (Assuming they even let Chizik go) Tom Flemfucker from East Montana Bible College.  We have zero history of splash hires in any sport.....well, except Zed Beespunk in Bass Fishing.  Everybody wanted Zed.  Things have to change at the top and they have to bring someone proven in and hand them the keys to the caddy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
I just hope we're not hasty in this whole process, because this hire will, beyond a doubt, be the most important hire in the history of the football program.

I hope we're careful not to ascribe to the "anyone has got to be better", "lesser of two evils" mentality and truly get the homerun here. Not sure what that is, exactly, but we are certainly at a crossroads as a program, and I can't overstate how integral this hire will be to our long-term success. We don't need another bust that we show the road after two years. We don't need passable mediocrity either where we end up with 8-10 wins every year, because we'll never justify letting him go and moving past it.

I hope I'm not disappointed, whatever the outcome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
I just hope we're not hasty in this whole process, because this hire will, beyond a doubt, be the most important hire in the history of the football program.

I hope we're careful not to ascribe to the "anyone has got to be better", "lesser of two evils" mentality and truly get the homerun here. Not sure what that is, exactly, but we are certainly at a crossroads as a program, and I can't overstate how integral this hire will be to our long-term success. We don't need another bust that we show the road after two years. We don't need passable mediocrity either where we end up with 8-10 wins every year, because we'll never justify letting him go and moving past it.

I hope I'm not disappointed, whatever the outcome.

So, what is a homerun hire here?  Petrino?  Not in my mind.  Who?  Why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
So, what is a homerun hire here?  Petrino?  Not in my mind.  Who?  Why?

There really is no such thing as a homerun hire.  Anyone who you hire... even a seasoned coach could come in and fail.  Different school, usually they have different coordinators, different players, different league.   You never know what the outcome will be.

The guy I would say comes closest (and who I think we could have a shot at) would be Patterson. Because of his long term success.  Outside of that it is pretty much a gamble.  I know who I would choose, doesn't mean he would be successful though. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:56:36 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »
Funny, Chip Kelly can't coach, but Petrino is our savior?  And you base these opinions on what?

My observations of the two of them in action.  Kelly's offense sucked ass against a decidedly mediocre Auburn defense.  In a division with Miles and Saban, that shit won't work.   

Both are offensive minded coaches, and both pay little attention to defense.   

Ferraris and Yugos are both cars, with wheels and engines.

Kelly has at least won his own conference, Petrino has not sniffed an SEC title.  He won Conf. USA and the Big East once each. Whoopty friggin' do.

Check out Oregon's schedule and then look at Arkansas'.  Kelly was busy dominating UCLA, Cal, a sanctioned USC and...uh...who?

Petrino was putting the Hogs in their first ever BCS game while Bama and LSU (and even Auburn) were at their best.

Every Petrino fan says "he'll recruit better at Auburn".  Will he...based on what evidence?  Or will he take the approach he took at Ark. and just recruit offense, and let the defense have the scraps?

I haven't said that heretofore, but I will now.  The reason: Auburn is a better/easier sell than Arkansas.  We reach some pretty fertile grounds for our players (notably GA and FL).  Arkansas is limited to AR/MO and the leftovers in LA/OK.

I posted his records in another thread.  There are as many holes in his resume as anybody out there, and that's not counting the "creed issues". 

I don't think there are any candidates with spotless resumes.  I'm open to other options (Patterson, for example).  I do, however, think that Petrino is in the top 3 available candidates.

On the plus side for Petrino, for him to take our job, he'd have to be an arrogant fuck to weather the shit storm of media, and that's the kind of guy I'd like to have in place.  If he's all you Petrino Pimps think he is, then we might actually be able to out asshole the midget asshole across the state.

Agree with this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Petrino was putting the Hogs in their first ever BCS game while Bama and LSU (and even Auburn) were at their best.
In '08 Petrino barely beat a 5-7 AU, and an 8-5 LSU.  In '09, he beat an 8-5 AU, and lost to a 9-4 LSU. In '10 he lost to a perfect AU team, and beat an 11-2 LSU team.  In '11, he beat an 8-5 AU, and lost to a nearly perfect LSU team.  Add in that he has never beaten Alabama, and loses with an average score of 36-14.  He has only managed to score more than 14 points against Alabama, when Arky lost 24-20 in 2010. 

So, he's 3-1 against AU, 2-2 against LSU, and 0-4 against Alabama.  The wins against AU were in down years.  Which have pretty much been the past 3 of 4 years.  Also, in those 4 years, sprinkle in some ass rapings at the hands of Texas and UF, and losses to Ole Miss, UGA, and Ohio State.

Just sayin.... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

wesfau2

« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
In '08 Petrino barely beat a 5-7 AU, and an 8-5 LSU.  In '09, he beat an 8-5 AU, and lost to a 9-4 LSU. In '10 he lost to a perfect AU team, and beat an 11-2 LSU team.  In '11, he beat an 8-5 AU, and lost to a nearly perfect LSU team.  Add in that he has never beaten Alabama, and loses with an average score of 36-14.  He has only managed to score more than 14 points against Alabama, when Arky lost 24-20 in 2010. 

So, he's 3-1 against AU, 2-2 against LSU, and 0-4 against Alabama.  The wins against AU were in down years.  Which have pretty much been the past 3 of 4 years.  Also, in those 4 years, sprinkle in some ass rapings at the hands of Texas and UF, and losses to Ole Miss, UGA, and Ohio State.

Just sayin....

If the barometer for hiring is success against Saban...then there are no qualified candidates and we should just shut down the football team.

Fuck you, suckhole.

EDIT: Almost forgot to throw this in: 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:30:05 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
If the barometer for hiring is success against Saban...then there are no qualified candidates and we should just shut down the football team.

Fuck you, suckhole.

He was head of the debating team
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
He was head of the debating team
Nibb High Football RULES!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »

Unless we hire Watson Brown or Charlie Weatherbie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
Unless we hire Watson Brown or Charlie Weatherbie.

Zing!

Well played, sir.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »

Fuck you, suckhole.

EDIT: Almost forgot to throw this in: 
If he's the coach at Auburn, don't you feel like that should at least be considered?  You think they should hire a guy who has a proven record of getting his shit pushed in by Alabama on a yearly basis?  Then send him out to recruit against Saban?  I'm not saying that it's the ONLY reason not to hire him.  Maybe the circumstances would be different at AU where he could be more competitive. 

Look at that mixed bag of results.  When for the majority of the past 4 years you're going to have to go through LSU or Alabama to win the west, and you're a combined 2-6 against them, I think it is something to at least look at when you're thinking of hiring that coach. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
If he's the coach at Auburn, don't you feel like that should at least be considered?  You think they should hire a guy who has a proven record of getting his shit pushed in by Alabama on a yearly basis?  Then send him out to recruit against Saban?  I'm not saying that it's the ONLY reason not to hire him.  Maybe the circumstances would be different at AU where he could be more competitive. 

Look at that mixed bag of results.  When for the majority of the past 4 years you're going to have to go through LSU or Alabama to win the west, and you're a combined 2-6 against them, I think it is something to at least look at when you're thinking of hiring that coach.

Point being, there is nobody that has had any sustained success vs Saban or Miles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »

The more you try to convince me that Petrino is a shit coach, the more I think he would be an acceptable hire, Bre'er Rabbit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2012, 04:04:39 PM »

I get your simplistic reasoning.

The problems with it are twofold:

1) Auburn isn't Arkansas.

2) No one has fared well against both Saban and Miles in the last 4-5 years on a consistent basis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #197 on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
I get your simplistic reasoning.

The problems with it are twofold:

1) Auburn isn't Arkansas.

2) No one has fared well against both Saban and Miles in the last 4-5 years on a consistent basis.
It may not matter, but if it were my team, I would like them to go get someone that at least hasn't proven he will fold nearly every damn time.  Probably not a reasonable line of thinking from those making the decisions, but somewhat reasonable at the fan level I suppose.  While I agree that AU isn't Arkansas, and maybe he could be a little more competitive at AU, maybe Arky was his idea of having it the way he wanted it.  Maybe that's what he will try to duplicate.  Maybe not.  Like I said, AU could certainly do worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #198 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:14 PM »
If Auburn is going to set shit straight then Petrino is the right hire or you give Chizik one more year to clean house and get shit right. 

The catch is JJ is fired.

Petrino comes in and gets the offense running.  BVG is retained.  Say what you will about Petrino at Arkansas, but it's a stupid argument.  So he couldn't beat Bama, defense sucked and recruiting was less than par.  He was also at ARKANSAS.  When was the last time they won the SEC?  When was the last time they were in the hunt for a National Title?  If we hire Petrino and a new AD, two things happen.  Either Petrino meets expectations and exceeds them or he does enough to keep the program running and allows the new AD to make him the scape goat and hire the man he wants after being in control a couple of years.

Bottom line is if JJ stays it does not matter what coach we hire, this will just be a constant cycle of 9 win seasons and suckage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #199 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »
If Auburn is going to set shoot straight then Petrino is the right hire or you give Chizik one more year to clean house and get shoot right. 

The catch is JJ is fired.

Petrino comes in and gets the offense running.  BVG is retained.  Say what you will about Petrino at Arkansas, but it's a stupid argument.  So he couldn't beat Bama, defense sucked and recruiting was less than par.  He was also at ARKANSAS.  When was the last time they won the SEC?  When was the last time they were in the hunt for a National Title?  If we hire Petrino and a new AD, two things happen.  Either Petrino meets expectations and exceeds them or he does enough to keep the program running and allows the new AD to make him the scape goat and hire the man he wants after being in control a couple of years.

Bottom line is if JJ stays it does not matter what coach we hire, this will just be a constant cycle of 9 win seasons and suckage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions