Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The short list?

jmar

Re: The short list?
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
Then there is that. I'm not a big fan of hiring Petrino but the guy is a winner no doubt.
I get the whole patience thing.

But my gut feeling tells me Auburn is spiralling into football obscurity. And as I consider the events that surrounded the coup attempt on Tommy Tuberville by the PTB it only fortifies my belief that the enemy is within even though the competition is on the field.

Auburn can withstand some defeats in the coming Saturdays but someone from the top must have a similar vision, pesuasive powers and a plan to push the button or at least to be on the ready. I'm not sure what to call the current product other than stunted or defective.

I don't care what ESPN, Finebaum, Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, or anyone else thinks. And my personal, positive view of Gene Chizik and his tenure up till now haven't changed. I like the man! But Auburn as we have heard our HC explain is bigger than any one man. In fact this job is too big for the strongest of men. So there you have it. I would like nothing more than to see Chizik right the ship, but I'm not sure the program can wait in its current state.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and it's anyone's guess which direction, if any the PTB will choose. They may or may not have rushed to judgement on Tuberville. There are varying opinions on that subject. But no one can seriously say (with any conviction) that the PTB would be putting a fine man and his family on the street when the gaudy payoff could choke an effing herd of elephants. This is strictly business as far as this outsider but lifelong fan is concerned.

The excitement of the Malzahn offense on Sportscenter followed by media frenzy of Cam Newton  throughout the 2010 season and the MNC are quickly becoming a distant memory. It's time to act before Auburn becomes irrelevant as a football power altogether and finds itself so far from re-establishing itself that it simply cannot  because from my perspective, it is happening as I type these last few words.     

WDE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
I get the whole patience thing.

But my gut feeling tells me Auburn is spiralling into football obscurity. And as I consider the events that surrounded the coup attempt on Tommy Tuberville by the PTB it only fortifies my belief that the enemy is within even though the competition is on the field.

Auburn can withstand some defeats in the coming Saturdays but someone from the top must have a similar vision, pesuasive powers and a plan to push the button or at least to be on the ready. I'm not sure what to call the current product other than stunted or defective.

I don't care what ESPN, Finebaum, Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, or anyone else thinks. And my personal, positive view of Gene Chizik and his tenure up till now haven't changed. I like the man! But Auburn as we have heard our HC explain is bigger than any one man. In fact this job is too big for the strongest of men. So there you have it. I would like nothing more than to see Chizik right the ship, but I'm not sure the program can wait in its current state.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and it's anyone's guess which direction, if any the PTB will choose. They may or may not have rushed to judgement on Tuberville. There are varying opinions on that subject. But no one can seriously say (with any conviction) that the PTB would be putting a fine man and his family on the street when the gaudy payoff could choke an effing herd of elephants. This is strictly business as far as this outsider but lifelong fan is concerned.

The excitement of the Malzahn offense on Sportscenter followed by media frenzy of Cam Newton  throughout the 2010 season and the MNC are quickly becoming a distant memory. It's time to act before Auburn becomes irrelevant as a football power altogether and finds itself so far from re-establishing itself that it simply cannot  because from my perspective, it is happening as I type these last few words.     

WDE!

Was in Maine. 

Server at one of the restaurants had lived in Decatur for a year.  Said she was a Bama fan sort of because most of the people she knew were.  She'd heard of Auburn but wasn't it in Georgia or Mississippi? 

Guy at one of the meetings noticed the AU logo on my laptop case.  Talked about various things.  Mentioned my daughter was an AU grad.  He says "Auburn... That's in Tennessee, right?"

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:08 AM »
I understood last year...to an extent.  I know it became a tired excuse to keep pointing out how young we were, but it was the truth.  And it was pretty evident we were going to drop off, losing that many seniors and having the early departures.  What I couldn't live with was the absolute woodshed ass whippings we took at the hands of our biggest rivals.  What I couldn't take was a team that gave up in most of those games.  Just embarrasingly played out the string until the clock ran out.  What I couldn't take was an opposing player saying publically that we did in fact, quit.  That's a problem.  A big one.

Fast forward to this year and it's a whole new set of problems that don't look like they're going to get better anytime soon.  I said several weeks back that I had to see 2 things for me to stay with this staff.  Show some improvement and most of all, fight, against LSU....and beat Arkansas.  I was okay with the LSU game, but when your coach is publically apologizing to the fans after two weeks to prepare to face a team that was playing as bad as anyone on the country... 24-7???  At home???   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
I've decided that Chizik is a "one way" type of guy.  He knows -- or thinks he knows -- one way to do things.  And he doesn't deviate.

Like Saban's fucking "process" Chizik has "the blueprint."   As long as everything is going well the blueprint is fine.  But he's shown no ability to adapt "the blueprint" to changing circumstances.  Saban's "process" is constantly evolving. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Making a "Splash hire" is not the Auburn way.  Never has been and I doubt it ever will be.  Since Shug, we've had Doug Barfield, Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tommy Tuberville and now Gene Chizik.  Dye had coached at East Carolina and Wyoming.  No one really knew anything about him when he came here.  Bowden had been mighty Samford's corch.  Name recognition through Diddy, but little else to suggest we hit a home run.  CTT was doing a decent job with a probation riddled Ole Miss team and Gene Chizik was 5-19. 

Basketball?  Same way.  We've had household names like Sonny Smith, Tommy Joe Eagles, Cliff Ellis, Jeff Lebo and now Tony Barbee.  Baseball?  Hell, I can barely think of the current corch's name right now. 

There's nothing to suggest that Chizik is actually going to be run off.  Jacobs doesn't have the ability to see or admit what's going on.  Dye is NOT running the show and there are no more Lowders to put the hammer down.  IF Chizik goes, unfortunately, I'd look for more of the same.  Don't expect to see John Gruden or Jimmy Johnson or Jim Tressel or Vince Lombardi on the Auburn Coaching vacancy short list.  They'll be looking at Central Michigan and Toledo for our next hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
I've decided that Chizik is a "one way" type of guy.  He knows -- or thinks he knows -- one way to do things.  And he doesn't deviate.

Like Saban's fucking "process" Chizik has "the blueprint."   As long as everything is going well the blueprint is fine.  But he's shown no ability to adapt "the blueprint" to changing circumstances.  Saban's "process" is constantly evolving.

^^^Gets it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
JMO, but it makes us look stupid to post lists with names like:

Bill Parcells
Bill Bellichek
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
John Madden
Sean Payton
Steve Spurrier

and the other usual suspects that get flown up the flagpole. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
WTF makes you believe KF will be our QB next year?

Chuckie rocks.
So Clint Moseley gets to work with trips option right motion left x post z option out or up h slant choice slide call left?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
So Clint Moseley gets to work with trips option right motion left x post z option out or up h slant choice slide call left?

That or they could just have Kiehl Fraizer run "36" over and over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

JR4AU

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

Bill Parcells
Bill Bellichek
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
John Madden
Sean Payton
Steve Spurrier

Yeah, but it's so fucking hilarious, don't you think?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

Bill Parcells
Bill Bellichek
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
John Madden
Sean Payton
Steve Spurrier

I say we hire him and Gregg Williams, give them $2 million in "Big Obfuscation UnderNeath TechnicalitY" seed money and see what happens.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

jmar

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »
Yeah, but it's so fucking hilarious, don't you think?
Uh yeah, because you left off Dick Sheridan, Dan Reeves and Pepper Rodgers.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:52:18 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
Uh yeah, because you left off Dick Sheridan, Dan Reeves and Pepper Rodgers.

Can we get Pepper Brooks?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »

At this point I would take Salt n Pepper.  Push it real good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »

We can laugh at the fucker all we want but he's kicking ass and taking names, and his fuckin process works. Ours doesn't. Saban has been worth every penny we made fun of them for giving him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »
Saban has been worth every penny we made fun of them for giving him.
Really, for the most part, what people said was true.  The program was so shitty that Alabama simply had to write a blank check to get somebody decent.  Saban is a dick, and that was exactly what the program needed internally.  Maybe some of the Shula leg humpers thought it was crazy to pay that much money, but those of us who lived in a world of reality knew it was the right move.  Shit, when you look at the revenue he has generated since '07, $4 million was a bargain really.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:10:47 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
Really, for the most part, what people said was true.  The program was so shitty that Alabama simply had to write a blank check to get somebody decent.  Saban is a dick, and that was exactly what the program needed internally.  Maybe some of the Shula leg humpers thought it was crazy to pay that much money, but those of us who lived in a world of reality knew it was the right move.  Shit, when you look at the revenue he has generated since '07, $4 million was a bargain really.
Thanks to chizik, we're in that exact situation. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »

Pepper needs new shorts!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
Thanks to chizik, we're in that exact situation.
A scary thought is that there really aren't any rock star coaches out there that look like they will be available at the end of the season either.  It would be difficult to poach a guy from a team that is currently very successful and ask him to come fix whatever the fuck is wrong in Auburn.  I think Saban was the exception, and Alabama caught him just at the right time.  He could see that his stint in the NFL probably wasn't going to work out.  He wanted to get back into CFB.  Alabama basically had to swallow their pride and give him the keys to the program, give him a blank check, and probably beg and plead. 

If Jay Jacobs really is as terrible as some say, I think the swallowing of the pride part will stand in Auburn's way of getting a really good coach.  Another scary thought is, if AU gets another Gene Chizik, there isn't that perfect storm of senior talent and Cam Newton on the roster to make the 2010 season happen again.  The good news is that if the talent really is on the roster, and it's just a matter of player development, then a good coach can do something with that IMO.  If AU makes a move, they absolutely have to get it right this time.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:33:04 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
If AU makes a move, they absolutely have to get it right this time.

And with the dumbass in charge, I don't see that happening.  We've gone from a 1-2 year rebuilding plan to a 3-4 year rebuilding plan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions