Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The short list?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The short list?
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »
A scary thought is that there really aren't any rock star coaches out there that look like they will be available at the end of the season either.  It would be difficult to poach a guy from a team that is currently very successful and ask him to come fix whatever the fuck is wrong in Auburn.  I think Saban was the exception, and Alabama caught him just at the right time.  He could see that his stint in the NFL probably wasn't going to work out.  He wanted to get back into CFB.  Alabama basically had to swallow their pride and give him the keys to the program, give him a blank check, and probably beg and plead. 

If Jay Jacobs really is as terrible as some say, I think the swallowing of the pride part will stand in Auburn's way of getting a really good coach.  Another scary thought is, if AU gets another Gene Chizik, there isn't that perfect storm of senior talent and Cam Newton on the roster to make the 2010 season happen again.  If AU makes a move, they absolutely have to get it right this time.

I'm not really worried about who may or may not be "available" if and when Chizik is shown the door with a suitcase full of $$$.  As I said in another thread....maybe this one....AU has no history of signing rock star corches in any sport.  If JJ is still at the helm, we'll be scouring the Ohio Valley Conference for our next los.....err, leader.  Georgia State had better lock their guy down.  We comin'..... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
I'm not really worried about who may or may not be "available" if and when Chizik is shown the door with a suitcase full of $$$.  As I said in another thread....maybe this one....AU has no history of signing rock star corches in any sport.  If JJ is still at the helm, we'll be scouring the Ohio Valley Conference for our next los.....err, leader.  Georgia State had better lock their guy down.  We comin'.....

And again, we're on the same page. Its this same history of hiring of coaches that tells me Chizik will be around next season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
And with the dumbass in charge, I don't see that happening.  We've gone from a 1-2 year rebuilding plan to a 3-4 year rebuilding plan.

Which is why gogue has to stop the trend and clean house. Open up the check book like Bama and clear a path. Get the best damn AD and HC money can buy and quit bullshitting around with that buffoon Jacobs. If gogue can't see Jacobs is a buffoon then maybe we got issues at the very top. People bitched about lowder and wanted him gone (which he is now) but that mother fucker wouldn't have stood for this shit and would have pulled the trigger by now. Jacobs and Dye are the problem and are in the way. We've got to cut this shit off at the head. Enough pussy footing around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »
Thanks to chizik, we're in that exact situation.

I would say we are worst.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

Dana Holgerson
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
I guess what I'm saying is, given AU's national exposure the past two years, you guys may have to go after a no-brainer to get things right again.  Especially when considering what happened with CTT.  True, Auburn usually doesn't go out and hire rock star huge name guys.  But I think that is more so due to the fact that they had people in the athletic department that could pick out that under the radar type guy.  It looks like that is no longer the case.  I think that getting a rock star type guy would go a long way withe the fanbase as well, as far as attendance, contributions, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

dallaswareagle

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
And again, we're on the same page. Its this same history of hiring of coaches that tells me Chizik will be around next season.

The only way this and other things start to change is the (PWM) People with money start to withhold those donations. Those folks can't be happy right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
I guess what I'm saying is, given AU's national exposure the past two years, you guys may have to go after a no-brainer to get things right again.  Especially when considering what happened with CTT.  True, Auburn usually doesn't go out and hire rock star huge name guys.  But I think that is more so due to the fact that they had people in the athletic department that could pick out that under the radar type guy.  It looks like that is no longer the case.  I think that getting a rock star type guy would go a long way withe the fanbase as well, as far as attendance, contributions, etc.

Housel had the knack. Jacobs doesn't.

A David Housel, jay Jacobs is not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
To keep the new guys coming in happy we promote from within?  Trooper Taylor?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »
A scary thought is that there really aren't any rock star coaches out there that look like they will be available at the end of the season either.  It would be difficult to poach a guy from a team that is currently very successful and ask him to come fix whatever the fuck is wrong in Auburn.  I think Saban was the exception, and Alabama caught him just at the right time.  He could see that his stint in the NFL probably wasn't going to work out.  He wanted to get back into CFB.  Alabama basically had to swallow their pride and give him the keys to the program, give him a blank check, and probably beg and plead. 

If Jay Jacobs really is as terrible as some say, I think the swallowing of the pride part will stand in Auburn's way of getting a really good coach.  Another scary thought is, if AU gets another Gene Chizik, there isn't that perfect storm of senior talent and Cam Newton on the roster to make the 2010 season happen again.  The good news is that if the talent really is on the roster, and it's just a matter of player development, then a good coach can do something with that IMO.  If AU makes a move, they absolutely have to get it right this time.

What you're forgetting is that Mal Moore was so fucking dumb it took him several shots down the highway to even get to Saban. 

At varying points he had Spurrier (allegedly) and Rodriguez (absolutely until the Finebaum callers destroyed the hire with the Mexican hat jokes and the borderline-vulgar attacks on Rod's wife) before he turned to Saban. 

At the time I laughed my ass off when Rodriguez freaked over the public treatment of his wife and backed out.  In retrospect?  Damn.  I wish they'd hired that fucker.  Saban would be at Florida or Ohio State or Michigan right now. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
Dana Holgerson

Is that the chick who was in the booth for the AU-Arky game?  She sucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
What you're forgetting is that Mal Moore was so fucking dumb it took him several shots down the highway to even get to Saban. 
I haven't forgotten about that.  At the time, Rich Rod would have fallen into the "proven" category.  I thought the folks on BOL who swore Saban was on the table were complete morons, so I could have lived with Rodriguez at the time.  I'm not saying Moore was a genius by any means.  He simply knew when it was time to swallow his pride and become somebody's bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
I haven't forgotten about that.  At the time, Rich Rod would have fallen into the "proven" category.  I thought the folks on BOL who swore Saban was on the table were complete morons, so I could have lived with Rodriguez at the time.  I'm not saying Moore was a genius by any means.  He simply knew when it was time to swallow his pride and become somebody's bitch.

He has none.  As big a buffoon as Jacobs is?  Moore is twice that.  He's just lucky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »

At varying points he had Spurrier (allegedly) and Rodriguez (absolutely until the Finebaum callers destroyed the hire with the Mexican hat jokes and the borderline-vulgar attacks on Rod's wife) before he turned to Saban. 

At the time I laughed my ass off when Rodriguez freaked over the public treatment of his wife and backed out.  In retrospect?  Damn.  I wish they'd hired that fucker.  Saban would be at Florida or Ohio State or Michigan right now.

I thought saban was first choice and initially said no interest. Then went rich rod and head ball coach before circling back around to saban with the entire bank.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
I shared this with someone else last night, and upon reflection this morning, I still feel this way:

I cannot even think of anyone to replace Chiz, much less that fucktard Jacobs.  We won't make a splash hire.  I know Auburn will NEVER cough up Saban kind of money because our PTB do not make the football team the be all end all.  Too many academic types in charge - NO FUCKING WAY do we get some kind of dictatorial asshole just because we desperately want our program to improve.  We are not bammer.  We don't do that.  And alum won't stop buying tickets in great enough numbers to effect change.  We aren't like that.  We are Auburn people first and Auburn football fans second.  Usually that's a good thing.  Right now, that is, will and has hurt us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »
I shared this with someone else last night, and upon reflection this morning, I still feel this way:

I cannot even think of anyone to replace Chiz, much less that fucktard Jacobs.  We won't make a splash hire.  I know Auburn will NEVER cough up Saban kind of money because our PTB do not make the football team the be all end all.  Too many academic types in charge - NO FUCKING WAY do we get some kind of dictatorial asshole just because we desperately want our program to improve.  We are not bammer.  We don't do that.  And alum won't stop buying tickets in great enough numbers to effect change.  We aren't like that.  We are Auburn people first and Auburn football fans second.  Usually that's a good thing.  Right now, that is, will and has hurt us.

At least we aren't this:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/awkward-fan-photos-bama-family-uses-baby-as-football.php
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »
They just keep getting better...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:02 PM »
I don't care if we get a "Dictator" type or not.  I think too many are looking for a Lord Saybinz clone.  He ain't out there.  The Evil One is obviously a great corch, the best in the business right now.  But that level of success has as much to do with the obsessed backing and mass selling of souls in order to win as anything else.  I just want someone to right this ship and make us a consistent winner again.  I want a shot at the West crown every year.  If you're competing for the SEC West, you're a player on the national scene as well. 

Chip Kelley has Oregon (they're just so fast) in the hunt each and every year.  Mack Brown had TexASS a perennial top 10 for years.  Same with Stoops at Chokelahomo.  All kinds of personalities and styles out there.  Plenty of good coaches that could come in here and turn it around quickly.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
I don't care if we get a "Dictator" type or not.  I think too many are looking for a Lord Saybinz clone.  He ain't out there.  The Evil One is obviously a great corch, the best in the business right now.  But that level of success has as much to do with the obsessed backing and mass selling of souls in order to win as anything else.  I just want someone to right this ship and make us a consistent winner again.  I want a shot at the West crown every year.  If you're competing for the SEC West, you're a player on the national scene as well. 

Chip Kelley has Oregon (they're just so fast) in the hunt each and every year.  Mack Brown had TexASS a perennial top 10 for years.  Same with Stoops at Chokelahomo.  All kinds of personalities and styles out there.  Plenty of good coaches that could come in here and turn it around quickly.   

None of those guys you mentioned knows the first thing about coaching.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Doing a little checking after looking at the Crown games this weekend.  I was surprised to see TA&M playing at La. Tech, so I pulled up the Bulldawgies site to confirm.  HC Sonny Dykes has them at 5-0 and averaging over 53 points per game with Tony Freakin' Franklin running the show.  Yeah, they beat Houston, Rice and UNLV...but they also hung those points on Illinois and Virginia. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions