Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nice Piece On Our Freshman QB

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Nice Piece On Our Freshman QB
« on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »
Emphasis all Tarheels.  copypasta Teh Eagle

AUBURN – The older Wallace brothers carried their usual bravado as they shot baskets at the local YMCA in Phenix City.

Anthony and Joshua chattered and joked, prodding the youngest. Jonathan was only 15, an easy target. Naturally competitive, the afternoon led to a familiar place.

“We decided to play sort of a one-on-one tournament,” Joshua said.

By this time, Jonathan already had an impressive athletic resume.

In youth league football, he was forced to be an offensive lineman – too big for a skill position. When he finally got a chance to move to quarterback in middle school, Jonathan scored five touchdowns in his first game with the Phenix City Titans.

“It was unbelievable the way he was running, throwing, catching everything,” Joshua said.

A freshman at Central High, Jonathan would soon become a star quarterback. Eventually, he landed an Auburn scholarship.

Still, Joshua was 19 at the time, a walk-on tailback at Georgia Tech. The oldest, Anthony, ran track at Alabama A&M. In a family of athletes, Jonathan was the runt.

At least, that’s what the older Wallace brothers thought before that memorable game at the Y.

They were wrong.

“He just crushed us,” Joshua said. “Man, I was just totally surprised how athletic he got. He actually went up and dunked on us.”

When Jonathan landed, the dynamics of their sibling rivalry changed. Only 15, it was clear Jonathan’s future would be the brightest.

There would be other moments through Jonathan’s years at Central. No one will soon forget the three touchdowns he scored as a senior in Central’s 43-26 win at Auburn High last season, the night Joshua said his brother proved he could play anywhere.

But faced with the question – when did you first realize your brother could potentially play in the SEC as a freshman? – the former Yellow Jacket doesn’t think of football.
Jonathan’s brother goes back to that basketball game at the Phenix City YMCA.

“That was when I realized he’d really grown up,” Joshua said.

Joshua was reminded of that one-on-one game recently.

Surrounded by purple and gold two weeks ago, the Wallace family huddled in Jordan-Hare Stadium’s stands near the visiting section, waiting.

Jonathan knew he would play at some point this season, his first at Auburn. During camp, coach Gene Chizik decided Jonathan wouldn’t last the fall with his redshirt intact.

“As we’ve really watched him progress and watched him grow in the mental part of the game – and him just understanding what we were trying to do – the kid’s got a lot of poise for a young kid,” Chizik said. “He’s got a lot of confidence. Again, that’s why he was very successful, that’s why his high school team was very successful, and that’s the reason we felt comfortable playing him.”

Searching for a wrinkle LSU would be unprepared for, Chizik decided the time was right for Jonathan to see the field for the first time.

Only his father, Anthony Sr., knew what to expect.

A couple days before the game, Jonathan gave his father the news over the phone. Anthony Sr. kept the phone call to himself.

“I think he wanted us to be surprised,” Joshua said.

Jonathan’s first play was a false start. Unsuspecting enough, the freshman trotted back to the sideline.

He returned a few more times during the game, rushing for three times for 15 yards. In the locker room afterward, Jonathan shrugged it off.

“It’s always great to produce for your team,” Jonathan said. “I was just glad to be out there.”

Joshua showed a bit more enthusiasm.

“My whole family, we were just all excited for him to get out there,” Joshua said. “We didn’t believe it at first – Saturday night, ESPN prime time against LSU. It was exciting.”

Chizik said Jonathan’s role going forward would likely expand, but he was vague with the details.

The freshman has not assumed Auburn’s backup quarterback position, held by junior Clint Moseley. He’s reserved specifically as the Wildcat back. Chizik said Jonathan could see the field anywhere from zero to 20 snaps a game.

It’s a vague role. Jonathan doesn’t mind.

There are no bold predictions, no boastful proclamations of what he’ll do on the football field. Jonathan’s goals are mild.

“Just to be productive,” Jonathan said. “That’s the ultimate thing, is to be productive when they call my number. I have to be able to go out there and handle the offense and keep us going.”

Since arriving on campus, Jonathan’s attitude and personality drew constant praise from teammates and coaches.

The freshman says little publically, poised and reserved when speaking to reporters. He’s mature, praised as much for his focus and work ethic as his athletic ability.

In high school, Jonathan carried himself the same way.

“He would hang out and be social and stuff, but he just knew the kind of parties to avoid,” Joshua said. “He knew the right people to hang around. He just always knew the right thing to do in every situation.

“He’s always just been a guy of high integrity.”

Beyond everything else, Jonathan’s character earned his teammates’ respect. The freshman’s knack for being in the right places usually leads him to the film room, where he’s already learned enough of offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler’s offense to have passing plays installed for him.

Sophomore guard Chad Slade said fellow Auburn players accepted Jonathan warmly.

“When he first got here he was always in the film room, always with coach Loeffler, always getting better,” Slade said. “He might come out here and work out, and I see him working on his drop steps, throwing the ball with somebody. I knew he was going to be a great player. I believe he’s going to work his butt off each and every day until he gets better, at least until he feels like he’s better.

“He comes here every day, he works hard, he does everything the coach tells him to do no matter what, he has no mouth, no complaints about anything. He stays up here til 10 o’clock at night watching film. I believe in him 110 percent.”

It’s not enough for Jonathan to earn the starting quarterback position, which coaches have starkly defended for sophomore Kiehl Frazier. But when Auburn hosts Arkansas at 11 a.m. Saturday, he’ll likely be another regular member in the offense.

“I have to be willing to work hard even if I’m not the guy,” Jonathan said. “I have to work hard in the playbook and know what’s going on just in case something happens. I always have to stay ready.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Nice Piece On Our Freshman QB
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
I thought I was going to see some chick banging him. :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »
I thought I was going to see some chick banging him. :haha:

That was during the recruiting phase.  They always get a nice piece or two.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »
That was during the recruiting phase.  They always get a nice piece or two.

Mowr stars means more?  :starz:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
“He would hang out and be social and stuff, but he just knew the kind of parties to avoid,” Joshua said. “He knew the right people to hang around. He just always knew the right thing to do in every situation.

Please let this stick...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Watching film till 10pm? let that stick too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

dallaswareagle

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
Watching film till 10pm? let that stick too.

Wonder what KF is watching? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
Wonder what KF is watching?

3 Stooges.  Looks a lot like Curly out there IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

chinook

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »
how about an article recapping our freshman qb throwing 334 yards and 3 touchdowns. 

gimme a hell yeah.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:39:47 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
Funny because phenix city does not have and never has had a YMCA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
Funny because phenix city does not have and never has had a YMCA.

It's in Columbus. Tomato, toemahtoe
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »