• My Fighting Pearls
Blake And The Boys
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
copypasta from teh Dothan Eagle

Auburn looking for some more playmakers at receiver

By: Ryan Wood | Opelika-Auburn News
Published: September 04, 2012 Updated: September 04, 2012 - 9:48 PM
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
AUBURN - Given the chance, Emory Blake avoided any made-for-YouTube moments Tuesday.

He had every reason to lecture and vent and hand Auburn’s young receivers a verbal lashing. The stat sheet from the Tigers loss to No. 12 Clemson on Saturday showed a lopsided offense. Game film proved it wasn’t for lack of chances.

Plays could’ve been made Saturday, but weren’t. Silly mistakes showed Auburn’s inexperience. Surely, Blake saw it.

But the mild-mannered senior didn’t have an explosive temper, at least not in front of reporters and their cameras.

â€œWe played well, we blocked well on the perimeter and we had our chances,” Blake said. “We’ve just got to make more plays when our names are called.”

We?

Blake doesn’t fall into that category. First, the senior isn’t young, serving as the group’s elder statesman for more than a year. And with four catches, 109 yards and a 54-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter, Blake was a playmaker.

The problem with Auburn’s receivers has been the gap between Blake and everyone else. It was that way last year, and it continued Saturday.

Auburn’s trusted receiving targets are Blake and tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen. After 60 minutes of the 2012 season, all the summer talk of multiple options stepping up and accepting the burden washed away.

Blake didn’t see it that way.

Maybe it was coddling. Maybe Blake just has faith. The senior showed he had faith in things that haven’t been seen.

â€œI know they can do it in the game,” Blake said. “I’m not questioning that, but sometimes it takes a little bit of game experience. Sometimes it takes some things happening and some success for you to get rolling and comfortable.

â€œSo I believe that’s what’s coming.”

It will be a tough task this week. To establish more playmakers in the passing game, Auburn will have to beat the strength of Mississippi State’s defense.

Last season, the Bulldogs’ 194.9 passing yards allowed per game were barely middle of the pack, ranking ninth in the SEC. Now the group is one year older, mature enough to hold its own. It showed Saturday when Mississippi State held Jackson State to 156 passing yards in its 56-9 opening win.

Defending Auburn’s athletes will be a much stiffer test. Still, Tigers coach Gene Chizik was impressed.

â€œOne of the strengths of their defense is certainly their secondary,” Chizik said. “They have playmakers back there. They’re aggressive. They hit. They run. They make plays with the ball in the air.”

Mississippi State’s leader is senior Johnthan Banks. Blake knows him well.

Both play on the boundary, the side of the field closest to the sideline. While they aren’t always matched up one-on-one – Jones has split time at safety and cornerback, and the Bulldogs secondary sometimes drops into Cover 2 – they’ve had their battles.

Last season, it was hard to say one had the upper hand.

Banks’ 27-yard interception return for touchdown gave Mississippi State a 7-point lead in the second quarter. Blake tied the game with a 46-yard touchdown the next possession, part of his 7 catches for 108 yards.

On Tuesday, Blake didn’t hide his respect.

â€œHe’s good,” Blake said. “He’s very good, a very good cover guy. Long body, fast. He’s a DB that you don’t see every day.”

Added Chizik: “Johnthan Banks probably could’ve come out (for the NFL Draft) if he wanted to, but chose to come back. He’s that good.”

With the two stars potentially cancelling each other out, depth will be a factor Saturday. Auburn knows it can also count on Lutzenkircen.

Who else will step up?

Blake said he doesn’t care about pressure being taken off him. He’s proved he can handle it. But for Auburn to have success, he knows it’s important for other threats to emerge.

â€œJust helping the team, that’s what I’m concerned about,” Blake said. “So the more plays they can make, the more games we’ll win.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Blake And The Boys
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

AUBURN - Given the chance, Emory Blake avoided any made-for-YouTube moments Tuesday.

But the mild-mannered senior didn’t have an explosive temper, at least not in front of reporters and their cameras.
Did Emory have a meltdown at some point?  I don't get the references to his not having one after the game. I'm not aware of any.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
I see some good things from Bray, but he isn't really a receiver, but he really isn't an RB either.  Hard to explain, but he did some good things Saturday night and some bad, but I liked what I saw.  I just wish he was about a foot taller.  That dude is small.  Reed, oh Reed, if he can have some field awareness then I can see him being a contributor as well.  Someone needs to step up from that corp with the quickness.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »
Did Emory have a meltdown at some point?  I don't get the references to his not having one after the game. I'm not aware of any.

I haven't heard of one.  I took it to mean he has every right to throw off on some guys not stepping up but he does nothing but give support to them.  If he pitcheds a bitch, it certainly wasn't for the cameras.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
The football's like a one-man cold to Emory Blake. Emory Blake's the only man catchin' it, Emory Blake's the only man comin' down wid it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
The football's like a one-man cold to Emory Blake. Emory Blake's the only man catchin' it, Emory Blake's the only man comin' down wid it.

Emory Blake is looking for a new ho!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

Now you know this don't look natural Coach. Now you know it don't... I look like I just jacked off an elephant
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 06:30:02 AM »
I did somewhat *snicker* a little when the writer stated that MSU's DBs have gotten better and it showed when they held their own against Jackson State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs