Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Olde Boar.....

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
The Olde Boar.....
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
is a hog friend who always has great stories and more than a few involve Auburn or folks he knew who went to Auburn.

It was also used by the USMC very successfully in recruiting. The navy was promising people the opportunity to travel and see the world and the army was using "be all you can be" and the air force "aim high." The Corps used "we didn't promise you a rose garden, being all you can be ain't our aim, be 110%, don't aim high hit the the fucking  bull's eye, I won't even bother with mentioning the navy.

This always brings me to the point that I have to speak well of Auburn. A friend I served with was from Memphis, Dewitt Shy. Played freshman FB and basketball at Auburn and at the end of spring training the backfield coach told him to stick to BB. That story is for another time. He attended AU in Sept 1941 just prior to Pearl Harbor. In the spring of 1942 the three services had a group of recruiters travel to all of the colleges.

At Auburn a navy commander spoke to the male student body at an assembly in the football stadium. He told about how the navy was going to start a V-12 program that would allow every one to get 2 years in college they would then go to Midshipman's school and be commissioned, they also had a ROTC program that would allow you to finish your college and get a degree. They had a V-5 program that would alllow you to fly and be commissioned. A V-6 program that I don't remember what it was. The army recruiter, a major, countered with their programs and I think made up a non existing program so he could top the navy. The Marine, a Sargent Major got up and probably from remembering Dan Daly said it any of you sons of bitches want to fight a war line up in front of me. Needless to say most of the students and all of the athletes joined the Corps. Had the song been written sooner I am sure the title would have preceded his announcement as to where to form in line.

he went on to say....

if they hadn't said I would have to live in old army barracks about 10 miles from Auburn and ride a school bus to the campus, I would have been one of those people. Use Shy's name as any one from Memphis that reads it could very easily known of him or family members. He was famous both in Auburn and Memphis folklore. One historic record at Auburn is his riding a bicycle from Auburn to Columbus GA to watch the game between AU and U GA. Au beat Ga's rose bowl team that day. Shy didn't get to see the game tho as he had bought 5 canteens from a sport's store and filled them with whiskey sours. He woke up in a ditch Sunday morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: The Olde Boar.....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »
That dude has phenomenal stories.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Re: The Olde Boar.....
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions