Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Into the Wild

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Into the Wild
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Anyone see this?

I went into it skeptical, was converted and ended up cheering for the kid.

Plot summary: Idealistic kid graduates from Emory, has become disillusioned by his comfy suburban life and abusive family life so he donates his Harvard grad school money to charity and strikes out across the country without telling anyone where he's going.  His plan is to travel with no means except that which he earns himself and eventually end up in the Denali region of Alaska living on his own.  I won't give away the ending.

I started out hating the kid.  He seemed like a smug upper class kid with the luxury of undertaking some post-modern walkabout.  I came to see him as sincere in his efforts to throw off the societal expectations placed upon him.  He just wanders around, works and meets people.  It's not beer and skittles, though, as he has some rough times.

Outstanding cast: Hal Holbrook, Vince Vaughn, Catherine Keener, William Hurt, Jena Malone. 

Bonus: The entire soundtrack was done by Eddie Vedder and is very, very good.  Pearl Jam has lost me in recent years, but this is strong work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: Into the Wild
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:17:39 AM »
Anyone see this?

I went into it skeptical, was converted and ended up cheering for the kid.

Plot summary: Idealistic kid graduates from Emory, has become disillusioned by his comfy suburban life and abusive family life so he donates his Harvard grad school money to charity and strikes out across the country without telling anyone where he's going.  His plan is to travel with no means except that which he earns himself and eventually end up in the Denali region of Alaska living on his own.  I won't give away the ending.

I started out hating the kid.  He seemed like a smug upper class kid with the luxury of undertaking some post-modern walkabout.  I came to see him as sincere in his efforts to throw off the societal expectations placed upon him.  He just wanders around, works and meets people.  It's not beer and skittles, though, as he has some rough times.

Outstanding cast: Hal Holbrook, Vince Vaughn, Catherine Keener, William Hurt, Jena Malone. 

Bonus: The entire soundtrack was done by Eddie Vedder and is very, very good.  Pearl Jam has lost me in recent years, but this is strong work.
Sean Penn sucks donkey ass.  I'm glad at what happened at the end of the movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:18:32 AM »
Sean Penn sucks donkey ass.  I'm glad at what happened at the end of the movie.

Hate his politics if you want, but the man makes a great movie.  It doesn't matter if he's in front of or behind the camera.

Plus he gave us the greatness that is Jeff Spicoli.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:40:07 AM »
Hate his politics if you want, but the man makes a great movie.  It doesn't matter if he's in front of or behind the camera.

Plus he gave us the greatness that is Jeff Spicoli.

Jeff Spicoli aside.....

"Sean Penn.  F.A.G. (film actors guild)"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »
Jeff Spicoli aside.....

"Sean Penn.  F.A.G. (film actors guild)"

Here are the highlights from his resume:

As an actor:
21 Grams
Mystic River
I am Sam
Sweet and Lowdown
The Thin Red Line
Hurlyburly
The Game
U Turn
Dead Man Walking
Carlito's Way
Casualties of War
Colors
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Taps

As a Director:
Into the Wild
The Crossing Guard

Pretty strong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
Here are the highlights from his resume:

As an actor:
21 Grams
Mystic River
I am Sam
Sweet and Lowdown
The Thin Red Line
Hurlyburly
The Game
U Turn
Dead Man Walking
Carlito's Way
Casualties of War
Colors
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Taps

As a Director:
Into the Wild
The Crossing Guard

Pretty strong.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »

Give me some narrative, I can't run youtube here at the office.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
1 good movie out of 20 something.  Fast Times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
1 good movie out of 20 something.  Fast Times.

You didn't like Carlito's Way?  Mystic River? 21 Grams?  Dead Man Walking?  Colors?  Freakin' Colors???

Those were all very good films, in my opinion.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:14:09 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »
He's just like The Dixie Chicks, George Clooney, Johnny Depp, and many others who shall remain nameless. 

Entertain me.  I don't give a rat's ass who you support for President.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »
He's just like The Dixie Chicks, George Clooney, Johnny Depp, and many others who shall remain nameless. 

Entertain me.  I don't give a rat's ass who you support for President.

I choose to separate the art from the politics. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »
I choose to separate the art from the politics. 
As do I.  I have no problem watching a film with a bunch of pinkie, commie bastards starring in it as long as it elicits some sort of chuckle, shock or other useless emotion from me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
Give me some narrative, I can't run youtube here at the office.

"America.  Fuck Yea!"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
Howard, you should read the book, written by Jon Krakaur, the guy who wrote the book Into Thin Air abt the 1996 Everest disaster.  The kid was an idealistic idiot, who truly believed he could just walk into Denali and be okay, just "live off the land" without so much as a pocket knife.  I can appreciate wanting to get away from it all, but to do so totally unprepared smacks of insanity.  I am sure, however, that Penn et al tried to make the kid out a hero - the movie would not have been as good if the true nature of the story was what went on film.  There's reality and then there's Hollywood - and in this case, the reality was pretty stupid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »
Howard, you should read the book, written by Jon Krakaur,

Interesting.  I may do that.  Thanks for the truth of the story.  I think Wes is starting to lose his gruff exterior and become a Hollywood man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
"America.  Fuck Yea!"

Lick my butt and suck on my balls?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »
Lick my butt and suck on my balls?

It's not about sex Gary.  It's about trust.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
Howard, you should read the book, written by Jon Krakaur, the guy who wrote the book Into Thin Air abt the 1996 Everest disaster.  The kid was an idealistic idiot, who truly believed he could just walk into Denali and be okay, just "live off the land" without so much as a pocket knife.  I can appreciate wanting to get away from it all, but to do so totally unprepared smacks of insanity.  I am sure, however, that Penn et al tried to make the kid out a hero - the movie would not have been as good if the true nature of the story was what went on film.  There's reality and then there's Hollywood - and in this case, the reality was pretty stupid.

I'm under no illusion that the movie wasn't romanticized.  The kid wasn't prepared for the undertaking, no doubt.

I simply enjoyed the story and the character.  The scenery, of course, was fantastic as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
I simply enjoyed the story and the character.  The scenery, of course, was fantastic as well.

I heard it was good in Brokeback Mountain as well.  What are your thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »
I heard it was good in Brokeback Mountain as well.  What are your thoughts?

I enjoyed that movie and have caught shit for admitting so.

It was a good story, good acting, and stunning cinematography.  The gay sex was hot, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions