Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Let them eat dirt

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Let them eat dirt
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
I knew all this anitbacterial shit was bad for you.

Ready for your daily dose of FUD? How about a paper linking antibacterial soap to muscle impairment? That's right, now you can be paranoid that cleaning your hands might hurt your heart later in life.

Specifically, the researchers looked at triclosan, a widely used antibacterial chemical, which you'll find in soap, deodorants, mouthwashes, toothpaste, bedding, and a whole bunch of other things. It's generally assumed to be safe for humans because it binds to proteins without becoming biologically available — plus there are limited ways that it gets into our bodies.

Concerned by the fact that triclosan has been detected in waterways and human waste, some researchers set out to see how it effected muscle control, both in petri dishes and animal models. In vitro, they found the chemical impaired isolated heart muscle cells and skeletal muscle fibers from being able to contract properly by blocking calcium channel communication. Moving up to animal models, mice showed a 25% reduction in heart function after being exposed to the chemicals, an 18% reduction in grip strength for up to an hour after dosing; and fathead minnows that spent a week in contaminated water swam worse than those that hadn't.

Such effects are enough to put the animals at risk for predation. "We were surprised by the large degree to which muscle activity was impaired in very different organisms and in both cardiac and skeletal muscle," said co-author Bruce Hammock in a press release. "You can imagine in animals that depend so totally on muscle activity that even a 10-percent reduction in ability can make a real difference in their survival."

We're still a long way from showing there are directly negative effects on humans — after all, we'd require a much higher exposure than mice to feel the effects, but the ubiquity of the chemical has the authors worried.

"In patients with underlying heart failure, triclosan could have significant effects because it is so widely used," co-author Nipavan Chiamvimonvat said. "However, without additional studies, it would be difficult for a physician to distinguish between natural disease progression and an environmental factor such as triclosan."

With more research, we may get a better idea about what's happening. In the meantime, you can just use normal soap and not worry about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Let them eat dirt
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
My main, and most important, muscle is unaffected. And, I'm not talking about my heat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
My main, and most important, muscle is unaffected. And, I'm not talking about my heat.
I don't know bottom, the sphincter may be affected as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
I don't know bottom, the sphincter may be affected as well.

Don't start no shit now. LOL!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions