Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

AU get's another win

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
AU get's another win
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
in 2001?

Looks like the UNC scandal may be going back to Julius Peppers.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/08/13/3452524/transcript-in-unc-probe-may-be.html

A 2001 academic transcript published by The News & Observer two days ago that UNC-Chapel Hill officials insisted was fake may be the real thing, and it may belong to one of the most popular athletes in the university’s history — Julius Peppers.

UNC officials said Monday that the transcript appears to be of a “former student” but said they could say nothing more because student records are protected under federal law.

“Student academic records should never be accessible to the public, and the university is investigating reports of what appears to be a former student transcript on the university’s web site,” said a statement issued by the university just before noon. “The university has removed that link from the web site. University officials are prohibited from discussing confidential student information.”

If both transcripts are authentic, the university could be in far deeper trouble with regard to an ongoing academic scandal that is still coming into view. At issue is whether individuals in the university set up a series of bogus, no-show classes that were predominantly taken by athletes, possibly with the intent of helping them maintain their eligibility to play sports.

Should Peppers be entangled in the practice it would suggest that trumped-up classes for athletes may have been going on much longer than university officials have confirmed. It may also draw the basketball program deeper into a situation that initially centered on football players.

Peppers was a star football player at UNC from 1999 to 2001, and also saw significant playing time as a member of the basketball team for two seasons. He is now an All-Pro defensive standout for the Chicago Bears.

A poster to the PackPride bulletin board for rival N.C. State University fans put up a link late Sunday night that shows what appears to be a partial transcript of Peppers’ on UNC-CH’s website. The web address for the transcript — https://www.unc.edu/sis/fsguest/fssumalpha.html — is very similar to that of the test transcript — https://www.unc.edu/sis/fsguest/fsacadpro.html#top.

A review of the purported Peppers transcript and the test transcript is a match for 34 of 36 classes. The two classes that are not similar show the same class and semester, but differ on the grade. The Peppers transcript shows an incomplete for a Black Nationalism class, while the test transcript shows the student receiving a B-plus. The test transcript also shows an A for an African American Seminar class that the Peppers transcript only shows he was registered to take it.

If the information is true, the discovery could cause huge problems for UNC-Chapel Hill. For one, the N&O reported the test transcript because it shares several characteristics with a major academic fraud scandal at the university, one that university officials have been reluctant to determine just how far back it goes. The African-American Seminar class, known as AFAM 070 back then and as AFAM 398 today, appears four times as a no-show class in an internal review that found 54 such classes during the period of 2007 to 2011.

The classes were all in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. University officials have said the only two people they believe to be culpable in the no-show classes are the department’s former chairman, Julius Nyang’oro, and former department manager Deborah Crowder. Evidence has suggested, however, that athletes were steered to the classes by academic counselors assigned to the athletic department.

UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp has described the courses as an embarrassment to the university that deprived students who enrolled in them of a proper educational experience.

The transcripts show grades of B or better on two other classes that popped up as suspect classes, and three independent studies in which grades of B or better were given. The independent studies are also suspect because university officials could not verify that anyone taught or supervised the students who took them.

Without those grades, Peppers might have not been eligible to play either sport.

Pack fans on the bulletin board also noticed another confirming detail: A 2003 ESPN feature story on Peppers in which his agent, Carl Carey, a former academic counselor to Peppers at UNC-CH, is described as saving Peppers from receiving a failing grade in his first semester. According to the article, Carey convinced the professor to give Peppers a re-test in an Elements of Drama class. The transcripts show a D for that class and for that semester.

The transcripts could also spell trouble for UNC-CH because federal law requires universities to keep academic records private. The 37-year-old Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act can potentially force an academic institution that releases such records to lose federal funding.

University officials were huddled with Thorp on Monday morning trying to figure out what happened, said Wade Hargrove, chairman of the UNC Board of Trustees.

Over the previous several weeks, UNC officials had repeatedly said the test transcript was just that, a mock up put together to test a university computer program that helps a student learn what other courses are needed to obtain a degree. But they declined to check academic records to back up their claims.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/08/13/3452524/transcript-in-unc-probe-may-be.html#storylink=cpy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
Re: AU get's another win
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
vacated wins don't erase losses
(do they?)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:20:23 AM »
vacated wins don't erase losses
(do they?)

I don't know, and don't really care. 
It was the only thing I could think of when I was posting the article. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
I don't know, and don't really care. 
It was the only thing I could think of when I was posting the article.

How about "All Salt, No Pepper"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »
Or

"Bitches betta recognize"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
Or

This officially makes Ted Roof the worst DC of all time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.