Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Will Josh Bynes please report to the locker room?!?!?

Re: Will Josh Bynes please report to the locker room?!?!?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

Speaking specifically from a management standpoint this doesn't really concern me.  When I am trying people in a new position, it is a competition.  Even if I already think I know which way it will go in the end.

And it's customary coachspeak.  I'm sure just about every school has an "open" quarterback competition right now.

Kind of like how prior to 2010, there was a quarterback competition up until the last week of fall practice. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:56 PM »
Also, CJ's injuries haven't limited his mobility until he dislocated his hip (his mobility will be affected with that injury).

So, your crystal ball only covers injuries. Got it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »
And it's customary coachspeak.  I'm sure just about every school has an "open" quarterback competition right now.

Kind of like how prior to 2010, there was a quarterback competition up until the last week of fall practice.

Any program that has a QB situation like ours coming off of last season, and the guy that might have been "the guy" elects not to play his RS Sr. Season...yeah, it's an open competition.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
Game-winning drive(s) against USU.

Solid performance against MSU. (16-23 for 146 and 2 TDs)

Bad second half -- one bad play actually that screwed his head up -- against Clemson.

Acceptable effort against Fla. Atlantic (178 yards and 2TDs)

Game-winning drive against So. Carolina.

Complete fucktard against Arkansas

Sucked against Florida for a half and disappeared until the bowl.

Won the bowl by himself. 

Total 1184 yards and 11 TDs.

And then Moseley:

Florida 4-7 for 90 yards

Complete fucktard against LSU

Good game vs. Ole Miss

Complete fucktard vs. Georgia

Complete fucktard vs. Samford

Complete fucktard vs. Alabama

Complete fucktard for one quarter in Bowl.

Finished with 800 yards and 5 TD passes.  FOUR of those TDs came against Ole Miss.  Only had one the entire year otherwise. 

Moseley = Complete fucktard.

Please don't use USU, and FIU to bolster any argument for Trotter.  State was not much better, and as I said, they were early, and defenses/DCs figured out what weapons we didn't have, and adjusted.  I bet we didn't run the Buck Sweep 10 times the last 2/3 of the season.  Teams "figured us out" because we had so little to figure out, then some time in the middle of the season Chiz took the only thing Malzahn had away, and made him slow the offense down. (When I say that, it's not a dig at Chiz...Chiz did a masterful job of getting 8 wins out of that talent set in the SEC)

I'll have to go back and check, but I bet I recall you were calling for Trotter's head early too.  I admit to being a hold out on calling for his head early, thinking he'd get better.  I was in the minority, and was wrong, yet had zero confidence Moseley would be better.

The bowl game was vs a mediocre ACC team.  Auburn doesn't play in the ACC, but if we did, we'd win it 7 out of 10 times with talent like we had last year.   Trotter also had no pressure to perform.  He knew it was his last game, and he came in as the back up.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:22:57 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:35 AM »
I understand the competition/coachspeak approach but had rather not witness another dog and pony show which was our offense after it was dumbed-down to suit our personnel. The lack of decent protection, repetitive play calling and shuffle of QBs was maddening and future high profile prospects (including their parents, hs coaches and recruiters need only use last season as an example to sway a kid in another direction.
We are left with a spread QB cut from the cloth of Malzahn's legendary influence as a high school coaching god. And yet he wasn't allowed one solitary throw or given a chance to fail as I see it. We have the former Mr. Football from Leroy who fought through the disappointment of not being named the starter only to find himself relieving his (friend) counterpart. Meanwhile, we have a problem child in the fold that is cluttering the depth chart with his antics and we lose out on other possible future talent as we pray for his sorry-assed nature to change. Okay Chizik cuts him loose and we snap up another that is purported to have just what we need although no one could possibly have a clue at the time because he could have just as easilly ended up at USM or Troy before Auburn offered. It doesn't help that our offense went from dynamic to the current trend of our rivals. Serviceable game managers can be found if that's what you are shooting for (not to be confused with Lloyd Carr's fish in a barrel approach while Loeffler was still green in the gills)
I guess I am left with the idea that George whatshisname (Cam's QB tutor) or another such could have been employed through various means (no not Uncle Miltie) to add polish to the younguns and correct some mechanical flaws in their game while we were in transition. Instead we are left with a QB crapshoot.
Hey...you might not like my way of thinking but I'm not about to fall prey to the sunshine pumping or excuses for the tragedy that followed the greatest one season of offense we have or will ever witness again at Auburn.
Someone like Jameis Winston might better appreciate this sidewalk fan's analogy from a perspective unlike that of an AU alum.

8 wins.
Anything more is a monumental success given the state of the SEC West, the QB tragedy of Malzahn/current QB "competition" and the defenseless Roof saga.         
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 09:27:03 AM »
Kile Fwazer will be the man.  No worries.

We have a coordinators now that apparently demand perfection and won't accept less. 

What was your impression of the scrimmage, Coach?

We ran 70 plays today and 67 of them were okay.  That means 3 of them sucked, which means we have a long way to go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
Please don't use USU, and FIU to bolster any argument for Trotter.  State was not much better, and as I said, they were early, and defenses/DCs figured out what weapons we didn't have, and adjusted. 

I'll have to go back and check, but I bet I recall you were calling for Trotter's head early too.  I admit to being a hold out on calling for his head early, thinking he'd get better.  I was in the minority, and was wrong, yet had zero confidence Moseley would be better.

So the game winning drives against USU don't count?  And the fact that he didn't look like a total fucktard (a la Moseley vs. Samford) against FIU doesn't count? 

Trotter was streaky against State.  Early on it looked bad but then in the second and third quarter we scored on five of six possessions.  Thought he had it figured out. 

Was I calling for a change?  Probably.  But only because he sometimes looked lost and hesitant.  Moseley turned out to be no better and was in fact substantially worse. 

The management of the QB position last year was -- IMO -- the worst I've ever seen.  Everything the staff did was wrong.  Trotter clearly didn't play well when he was a play away from being yanked.  Changed to Moseley and he was absolutely abysmal.  but didn't give Trotter another chance.  Supposedly held Frazier down to the point he started bitching about being told not to throw -- and his confidence was impacted.  It was a piss poor job all the way around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
So the game winning drives against USU don't count?  And the fact that he didn't look like a total fucktard (a la Moseley vs. Samford) against FIU doesn't count? 

Trotter was streaky against State.  Early on it looked bad but then in the second and third quarter we scored on five of six possessions.  Thought he had it figured out. 

Was I calling for a change?  Probably.  But only because he sometimes looked lost and hesitant.  Moseley turned out to be no better and was in fact substantially worse. 

The management of the QB position last year was -- IMO -- the worst I've ever seen.  Everything the staff did was wrong.  Trotter clearly didn't play well when he was a play away from being yanked.  Changed to Moseley and he was absolutely abysmal.  but didn't give Trotter another chance.  Supposedly held Frazier down to the point he started bitching about being told not to throw -- and his confidence was impacted.  It was a piss poor job all the way around.

THIS.  Especially with Frazier.  I think I'd have rather redshirted the guy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

It shows me that at least Trotter had potential and showed flashes. Something wasn't right in the head with him most of the season. Maybe it was the constant looking over his shoulder, who knows. He at least won us some ballgames, most notably the bowl. He looked great against Vagina in the A-T-L. Just a hunch, but I think Loeffler could have gotten his head right. Moseley on the other hand has done jack fucking squat. He did enough in a few games not to piss them away (ie - Florida, Ole Miss). The team seemed to respond to his presence 'ok' the first few games like Florida, but after that it was horrid. The UGA was hard to watch. He made Drew Bledsoe look mobile.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »

Do they count?  For what? 

Coaches can't work magic.  There's not a coach out there that could make you or me an SEC QB, or "manage us" if we were all he had to work with.  You can only work with what you have talent wise, and sometimes it's not enough to get the job done, no matter how you manage it.  And, coaches have to make decisions prior to knowing the outcome, where we get to critique them on the outcome.  I still think getting to 8-5 with all the holes we had last year was a good job by Chiz.   May not have been pretty at times, but damn sure could have turned out a shitload worse, and looked worse.   JMHO, YMMV, but the only other real choice they had last year would be to have put Frazier in, tell him the job is yours because you're the future and the fucktard tandem of Trottsley isn't, and let him go, mistakes and all.  Might have been great for the future, IF he is really the talent he's billed to be, but also might have meant a 5-7 season in 2011.  But then again, what if it was so bad on him it destroyed his confidence, ruined him AND was a shitty season?  Guess what?  You say it was mismanaged.  What if they put Trotter back in, and he sucks some, and is good some?  Some say good, others say "they didn't give Moseley a chance and he knew Trotter was breathing down his neck".  Get the picture?  There's no win for a coach, when there's not enough wins.  Everything is second guessed, and it's always assumed there had to be a better way to do it.  I honestly believe 8-5 was the ceiling last year, and it was a good job of coaching to get there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
Do they count?  For what? 

Coaches can't work magic.  There's not a coach out there that could make you or me an SEC QB, or "manage us" if we were all he had to work with.  You can only work with what you have talent wise, and sometimes it's not enough to get the job done, no matter how you manage it.  And, coaches have to make decisions prior to knowing the outcome, where we get to critique them on the outcome.  I still think getting to 8-5 with all the holes we had last year was a good job by Chiz.   May not have been pretty at times, but damn sure could have turned out a shitload worse, and looked worse.   JMHO, YMMV, but the only other real choice they had last year would be to have put Frazier in, tell him the job is yours because you're the future and the fucktard tandem of Trottsley isn't, and let him go, mistakes and all.  Might have been great for the future, IF he is really the talent he's billed to be, but also might have meant a 5-7 season in 2011.  But then again, what if it was so bad on him it destroyed his confidence, ruined him AND was a shitty season?  Guess what?  You say it was mismanaged.  What if they put Trotter back in, and he sucks some, and is good some?  Some say good, others say "they didn't give Moseley a chance and he knew Trotter was breathing down his neck".  Get the picture?  There's no win for a coach, when there's not enough wins.  Everything is second guessed, and it's always assumed there had to be a better way to do it.  I honestly believe 8-5 was the ceiling last year, and it was a good job of coaching to get there.

I think the poor handling of the QB and Dyer situations was ALL on Malzahn. I really do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Coaches can't work magic.  There's not a coach out there that could make you or me an SEC QB, or "manage us" if we were all he had to work with.
I think the biggest question is, how is it that those guys were what the staff had to work with? They were hand picked by current coaches. I understand that the QB position is probably the most hit-and-miss in college ball, but how do you come up with 3 QBs all at once that can't hit the broadside of a barn, and/or simply shit their pants when a defender comes within 5 yards? Did they whiff on talent evaluation, or just not coach these guys?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
I think the biggest question is, how is it that those guys were what the staff had to work with? They were hand picked by current coaches. I understand that the QB position is probably the most hit-and-miss in college ball, but how do you come up with 3 QBs all at once that can't hit the broadside of a barn, and/or simply shit their pants when a defender comes within 5 yards? Did they whiff on talent evaluation, or just not coach these guys?
Actually Moseley and Trots were Tubs guys along with Rollison.  Moseley and Rollison were in Chizik's 2009 first class but were all holdovers from Tubs prior year.

Chizik is 1 for 2 and could be 2-3 depending on Kiehl
Cam, Pike
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:37:45 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
Actually Moseley and Trots were Tubs guys along with Rollison.  Moseley and Rollison were in Chizik's 2009 first class but were all holdovers from Tubs prior year.

Chizik is 1 for 2 and could be 2-3 depending on Kiehl
Cam, Pike
I stand corrected, then.

I wasn't thinking Rollison, but I don't think he even had AU on his radar until Malzahn came along. Luper recruited him at OSU before moving to Auburn. Tubs' staff didn't recruit him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
The only thing I'll say in Trotter's defense is had he been able to work behind the line we had in 09' and 10', I think we'd have a very different view of him.  He was an accurate passer, good arm and enough speed to at least make defenses respect him in Malzahn's offense.  All SEC possibilities?  Hell no.  But I think he could have matched Todd's production behind that same line.  But, he was throwing behind a shit sandwich of a line and playing defenses that were getting progressively better and more athletic with each game and our line was getting their asses handed to them.  And like Kaos said many times, he lost it somewhere in that Climpsum game.  He genuinely looked scared and just wanted to unload the ball as fast as he could.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

Despite the fact that you're wrong on who recruited them, it's a dumb fucking question.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
it's a dumb fucking question.
Not really. It's the same thing that you never could answer during the season. Nobody disputed that the coaches didn't have shit to work with. It was obvious. I don't think anybody could have coached those guys up. The question simply was, how did it get to that point? How could nobody on the staff see that coming? What is the disconnect between being Mr. Football in the state, and the abortion produced on the field? etc, etc.

And speaking of Moseley, I think he was a Chizik guy. If I remember correctly, he got a call from Chizik around Christmas saying AU was interested, but wouldn't offer until Chizik hired a coordinator and that coordinator approved. Moseley even stated as such. I think the first week of that January he still didn't have an offer, because Malzahn was still preparing for a bowl game with Tulsa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
Not really. It's the same thing that you never could answer during the season. Nobody disputed that the coaches didn't have shit to work with. It was obvious. I don't think anybody could have coached those guys up. The question simply was, how did it get to that point? How could nobody on the staff see that coming? What is the disconnect between being Mr. Football in the state, and the abortion produced on the field? etc, etc.

Why do you think they got Cam?  Took chances on guys like Rollison and Pike and Wallace?  WTF makes you think they didn't see it coming?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »

And speaking of Moseley, I think he was a Chizik guy. If I remember correctly, he got a call from Chizik around Christmas saying AU was interested, but wouldn't offer until Chizik hired a coordinator and that coordinator approved. Moseley even stated as such. I think the first week of that January he still didn't have an offer, because Malzahn was still preparing for a bowl game with Tulsa.

I told everyone the day he was signed that if he ever took a meaningful snap at Auburn it mean a world of shit had gone wrong.  Was I wrong?

If a guy like Moseley is available, and you have as many holes and slots to fill as we did at the time, and you can't get better, you sign him, and hope you're wrong and that he can play.   I don't think for a minute any coach on that offensive staff ever REALLY thought he could play, they just hoped he'd never have to, and that if he did, he'd surprise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »
Cam came out early.  I think they paid...err, signed him thinking he would most likely be their QB for the next 2 years while they developed guys like Rollison, Trotter etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions