Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Quick Clemson Preview

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Quick Clemson Preview
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
Clemson returns 15 starters and despite Sammy Watkins being suspended for the first two games, it appears their strength will definitely be at the skrillz positions.  Junior Tajh Boyd 6'1" 230 returns at QB.  He threw for 3,828 yards with 33 TD's and 12 INT's in 2011.  Running Back, Andre Ellington 5'11' 190, who rushed for 1,178 yards with 11 TD's also returns to the backfield.

With Watkins out, they'll look to DeAndre Hopkins at WR and fortunately, badass TE Dwayne Allen doesn't appear to be on the roster.  I went to one site that had him listed as the best TE in America this year (Climpsum nob-schlob site) but he's not on their official roster so he either graduated or left early.  Good thing because he was in fact badass. 

The problems for Clemson come on both sides of the line.  Three starters on the offensive line and three on the defensive line are gone.  The offensive line started breaking down by the end of the year with Boyd taking a beating.  A revamped Offensive line bodes well for Lemonier, Ford, Eguae, Sanders and Owens.  Fast, strong defensive ends going against fresh meat.  Despite having 3 guys on the defensive line who may all be playing on Sundays this year, the rushing defense was one of the worst in the ACC last year.  Only one starter returns.  However, the remainder of the defense returns in tact.  All LB's and DB's are back with 6 seniors in the bunch.

Overall, I'd say the fact that it appears AU will be going right up the gut of defenses this year, means that hopefully they'll be attacking one of Clemson's biggest weaknesses.  Plus, there's no reason our D-line shouldn't be wreaking havoc in their backfield all day.  The fact that the TE is gone and one of the best receivers in the country will be a specatator is definitely a plus for the real Tigers.  Add to that, Clemson is coming off an epic bitch slapping and the game will be played in an arena that seems to be Auburn's home away from home....I'm liking our chances more than I did a couple of weeks ago.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:21:54 AM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Quick Clemson Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »
Excellent parsing.  I agree that our DL should be setting up shop in the backfield all day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »
Sorry but I think they were overrated last year and are overrated this year. That said, they are still a good team. Just not the national contender everyone made them out to be last year. They rode a lot of luck.

And agree with weskie totally. With their OL being what it is and our deep DL, this has the potential of being very fun to watch. Fingers crossed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
Sorry but I think they were overrated last year and are overrated this year. That said, they are still a good team. Just not the national contender everyone made them out to be last year. They rode a lot of luck.

And agree with weskie totally. With their OL being what it is and our deep DL, this has the potential of being very fun to watch. Fingers crossed.

One note, I was wrong on the tackles.  I believe one of the returning starters on the O-line is a tackle.  Anyway, I'm going to take a wait and see approach because last year left a nasty, pasty, hungover kind of what the hell was I thinking, did I really sleep with that and please tell me I didn't go down on that kind of taste in my mouth.  Our D-line and linebackers got their shit pushed in a LOT last year.  Now, I fully acknowledge they were under Roofian command and were also very young.  I also love the seemingly new attitude, new staff and the work they put in during the off season.  I'd like to think they're ready to prove something this year.  It's just hard to be realistic about the worst defense in Auburn history suddenly up and bitch slapping teams.  Not saying they won't and I think I'm drinking more orange and blue Kool Ade every day.  I just need a breath mint to get the taste out my mouf.     

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
One note, I was wrong on the tackles.  I believe one of the returning starters on the O-line is a tackle.  Anyway, I'm going to take a wait and see approach because last year left a nasty, pasty, hungover kind of what the hell was I thinking, did I really sleep with that and please tell me I didn't go down on that kind of taste in my mouth.  Our D-line and linebackers got their shit pushed in a LOT last year.  Now, I fully acknowledge they were under Roofian command and were also very young.  I also love the seemingly new attitude, new staff and the work they put in during the off season.  I'd like to think they're ready to prove something this year.  It's just hard to be realistic about the worst defense in Auburn history suddenly up and bitch slapping teams.  Not saying they won't and I think I'm drinking more orange and blue Kool Ade every day.  I just need a breath mint to get the taste out my mouf.     

Dammit Snags...

and I just put this up...can you amend please.

http://www.tigersx.com/from-our-members/quick-clemson-preview/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »
Done
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
The wording about the tackle and the name of the TE.  I had Andre.  It was Dwayne
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

The Clemson OL would seem to be a great concern.  The only starter returning to his natural position is the Sr. Center.  Out of what would appear to be bad, BAD need, they move the only other returning starter from G to LT.  He's 6-3 300, and he better be damned athletic if he is going to handle our DEs with no help.  That height and weight are true Guard.   If the G turned T can't handle it, it goes to either a True or RS Fr.   They have a big Soph coming in at RT, but clearly, must feel he's not athletic enough to handle the LT spot. 

The rest of the group battling for a spot includes a 6-6 260 RS Fr., and a 6-3 295 Fullback, turned DE, turned OL. 

Bottom line is, I agree with Snags assessment, this matchup should favor Auburn in a BIG way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »
The Clemson OL would seem to be a great concern.  The only starter returning to his natural position is the Sr. Center.  Out of what would appear to be bad, BAD need, they move the only other returning starter from G to LT.  He's 6-3 300, and he better be damned athletic if he is going to handle our DEs with no help.  That height and weight are true Guard.   If the G turned T can't handle it, it goes to either a True or RS Fr.   They have a big Soph coming in at RT, but clearly, must feel he's not athletic enough to handle the LT spot. 

The rest of the group battling for a spot includes a 6-6 260 RS Fr., and a 6-3 295 Fullback, turned DE, turned OL. 

Bottom line is, I agree with Snags assessment, this matchup should favor Auburn in a BIG way.

Yep, and we upgraded in the offseason in depth and coaching. Just Roof being gone is an upgrade.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Yep, and we upgraded in the offseason in depth and coaching. Just Roof being gone is an upgrade.
  True dat!  It's not like the Clemson OL was stellar last year anyway.  They were 85th in sacks allowed. Our DL could have a field day with this group!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions