Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

NYPD Replaces FBI

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
NYPD Replaces FBI
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
It appears that the NYPD has taken it upon themselves to chase terrorism across the United States.

http://news.yahoo.com/confused-911-caller-outs-nypd-spying-nj-084732106.html

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) — It's an audiotape the New York Police Department hoped you would never hear.

A building superintendent at an apartment complex just off the Rutgers University campus called the New Brunswick Police 911 line in June 2009. He said his staff had been conducting a routine inspection and came across something suspicious.

"What's suspicious?" the dispatcher asked.

"Suspicious in the sense that the apartment has about — has no furniture except two beds, has no clothing, has New York City Police Department radios."

"Really?" the dispatcher asked, her voice rising with surprise.

The caller, Salil Sheth, had stumbled upon one of the NYPD's biggest secrets: a safe house, a place where undercover officers working well outside the department's jurisdiction could lie low and coordinate surveillance. Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, the NYPD, with training and guidance from the CIA, has monitored the activities of Muslims in New York and far beyond. Detectives infiltrated mosques, eavesdropped in cafes and kept tabs on Muslim student groups, including at Rutgers.

The NYPD kept files on innocent sermons, recorded the names of political organizers in police documents and built databases of where Muslims lived and shopped, even where they were likely to gather to watch sports. Out-of-state operations, like the one in New Brunswick, were one aspect of this larger intelligence-gathering effort. The Associated Press previously described the discovery of the NYPD inside the New Jersey apartment, but police now have released the tape of the 911 call and other materials after a legal fight.

"There's computer hardware, software, you know, just laying around," the caller continued. "There's pictures of terrorists. There's pictures of our neighboring building that they have."

"In New Brunswick?" the dispatcher asked, sounding as confused as the caller.

The AP requested a copy of the 911 tape last year. Under pressure from the NYPD, the New Brunswick Police Department refused. After the AP sued, the city this week turned over the tape and emails that described the NYPD's efforts to keep the recording a secret.

The call sent New Brunswick police and the FBI rushing to the apartment complex. Officers and agents were surprised at what they found. None had been told that the NYPD was in town.

At the NYPD, the bungled operation was an embarrassment. It made the department look amateurish and forced it to ask the FBI to return the department's materials.

The emails highlight the sometimes convoluted arguments the NYPD has used to justify its out-of-state activities, which have been criticized by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and some members of Congress. The NYPD has infiltrated and photographed Muslim businesses and mosques in New Jersey, monitored the Internet postings of Muslim college students across the Northeast and traveled as far away as New Orleans to infiltrate and build files on liberal advocacy groups.

In February, NYPD's deputy commissioner for legal matters, Andrew Schaffer, told reporters that detectives can operate outside New York because they aren't conducting official police duties.

"They're not acting as police officers in other jurisdictions," Schaffer said.

. . .

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has defended the police department's right to go anywhere in the country in search of terrorists without telling local police. And New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa has said he's seen no evidence that the NYPD's efforts violated his state's laws.

Muslim groups, however, have sued to shut down the NYPD programs. Civil rights lawyers have asked a federal judge to decide whether the spying violates federal rules that were set up to prevent a repeat of NYPD abuses of the 1950s, when police Red Squads spied on student groups and activists in search of communists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: NYPD Replaces FBI
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:22:25 PM »
I know all about this, tinfoil that is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »
Bloomberg is the mayor, so is anyone surprised?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
And now we have one less agency watching potential terrorists. As long as they are just watching, I see no issue with the NYPD being anywhere. Let NY pay for extra surveillance. The writer acts like hes uncovered a huge conspiracy. All that is going in is now muslims have a better chance to protect their own, even if they are future terrorists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
And now we have one less agency watching potential terrorists. As long as they are just watching, I see no issue with the NYPD being anywhere. Let NY pay for extra surveillance. The writer acts like hes uncovered a huge conspiracy. All that is going in is now muslims have a better chance to protect their own, even if they are future terrorists.

Its out of their jurisdiction and is a bad precedent. Police are for municipalities. It's why we have different levels of law enforcement, ie city, county, state, federal. Fuck Bloomberg and his overreaching liberal self.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
Its out of their jurisdiction and is a bad precedent. Police are for municipalities. It's why we have different levels of law enforcement, ie city, county, state, federal. Fuck Bloomberg and his overreaching liberal self.

As long as they are just watching, then they are not exercising any police rights. Let NY pay for extra work. If it helps catch a terrorist, then great. If not, then NY has paid for extra work and not the feds.
It's like saying that one  city does not have the right to go to another city and ask questions. Should they inform the city? Probably. But if they suspect terrorism, should they watch and confirm, or say something and take the chance that loose lips sink ships, all in the name of turfs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
I'm in favor of jack-booted thugs chasing Muslims and making sure they're not terrorists. 

I'm also in favor of profiling.  You're really going to pull an elderly white woman out of the line in the airport for additional screening while Bijooti Buumbah strolls by in his long robes, with a veiled woman/man in tow?  That's asinine.  Search Bijooti and let grandma go.  I'd feel safer. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
I'm in favor of jack-booted thugs chasing Muslims and making sure they're not terrorists. 

I'm also in favor of profiling.  You're really going to pull an elderly white woman out of the line in the airport for additional screening while Bijooti Buumbah strolls by in his long robes, with a veiled woman/man in tow?  That's asinine.  Search Bijooti and let grandma go.  I'd feel safer.

White senior citizens can be terrorists, too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-20129285/ricin-terror-plot-suspects-appear-in-ga-court/

GAINESVILLE, Ga. - Four men in Georgia intended to use an online novel as a script for a real-life wave of terror and assassination using explosives and the lethal toxin ricin, according to court documents.

Federal agents raided their north Georgia homes Tuesday and arrested them on charges of conspiring to plan the attacks.

Frederick Thomas, 73; Dan Roberts, 67; Ray Adams, 65; and Samuel Crump, 68, appeared in court Wednesday but indicated they needed more time to prepare for a bail hearing, which was scheduled for next week.

The men wore glasses and had graying or white hair, and had trouble hearing a judge during the proceedings, even though she was using a microphone.

Relatives of two of the men said the charges were baseless. Their public defender declined to comment at the hearing.

Court documents accused the men of trying to obtain an explosive device and a silencer to carry out targeted attacks on government buildings and employees. Two of the men are also accused of trying to seek out a formula to produce ricin, a biological toxin that can be lethal in small doses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
White senior citizens can be terrorists, too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-20129285/ricin-terror-plot-suspects-appear-in-ga-court/

Call me crazy, but if I was a bettin' man, I'd still look out for the dark guy with the turban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »
As long as they are just watching, then they are not exercising any police rights. Let NY pay for extra work. If it helps catch a terrorist, then great. If not, then NY has paid for extra work and not the feds.
It's like saying that one  city does not have the right to go to another city and ask questions. Should they inform the city? Probably. But if they suspect terrorism, should they watch and confirm, or say something and take the chance that loose lips sink ships, all in the name of turfs?

Watching is surveillance. I am not sure you can do official police surveillance in another's jurisdiction without their permission. Talking strictly police, not sherrifs or state troopers. You can bet if Bloomberg is involved in this, it is a failure already. This is the same guy that wants to ban soda. You really want to give this guy and his liberal friends more unauthorized powers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE