Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Possible Trades And Other Crap

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Possible Trades And Other Crap
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
The Ryan Dempster to the ATL apparently fell through.  Looks like the Braves are fine with their line up but really looking at adding another starter for the rotation.  I completely agree.  Not sure if Dempster was the answer. Maybe for this year as he's pitching great...but he's 35 and I'd like to see someone they could sign long term.

A couple of names they appear to be in the mix for are Zack Greinke with the Brew Crew and James Shields of TB.  One article I read really advised against mortgaging the farm for Greinke.  Shields has had a great career but they said his last 7 games have been teh suxxors with a 6.15 ERA.  Maybe a change of scenery is needed.  I like Shields myself.  Whatever you do, don't trade Andreleton Simmons for anyone. He's on the DL right now but I think this guy is the future at SS.

Speaking of pitchers, Cole Hamels who takes the bump against the Braves tonight, just signed a 6 year....$144 million dollar extension.  HO-LEE CRAP.  $24 large a year to play every 5 days? 

I know we've got Cubby, Rangers, Orioles and Card fans on here.  Anyone you want to get...or see go...before the 7-31 deadline?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

Re: Possible Trades And Other Crap
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if Ben Sheets' 3-0 start (allowing 1 run in 18 innings) has slowed some of the talks for another arm.  I'm unimpressed with Dempster, or the kid from TB.  Atlanta has a decent starting rotation, but lacks an ace.  I just don't see one on the trading block, at least not one worth throwing young talent at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »
I know we've got Cubby, Rangers, Orioles and Card fans on here.  Anyone you want to get...or see go...before the 7-31 deadline?

Chicago Cubs Active Roster
Chicago Cubs Active Roster #    Pitchers    B/T    Ht    Wt    DOB
16    Jeff Beliveau    L-L    6'1"    195    Jan 17, 1987
54    Shawn Camp    R-R    6'0"    205    Nov 18, 1975
60    Manuel Corpas    R-R    6'3"    210    Dec 3, 1982
46    Ryan Dempster    R-R    6'2"    215    May 3, 1977
22    Matt Garza    R-R    6'4"    215    Nov 26, 1983
41    Justin Germano    R-R    6'2"    210    Aug 6, 1982
28    Paul Maholm    L-L    6'2"    220    Jun 25, 1982
57    Scott Maine    L-L    6'3"    215    Feb 2, 1985
49    Carlos Marmol    R-R    6'2"    215    Oct 14, 1982
40    James Russell    L-L    6'4"    200    Jan 8, 1986
29    Jeff Samardzija    R-R    6'5"    225    Jan 23, 1985
30    Travis Wood    R-L    5'11"    175    Feb 6, 1987
#    Catchers    B/T    Ht    Wt    DOB
51    Steve Clevenger    L-R    6'0"    195    Apr 5, 1986
18    Geovany Soto    R-R    6'1"    220    Jan 20, 1983
#    Infielders    B/T    Ht    Wt    DOB
3    Jeff Baker    R-R    6'2"    210    Jun 21, 1981
15    Darwin Barney    R-R    5'10"    185    Nov 8, 1985
13    Starlin Castro    R-R    6'0"    190    Mar 24, 1990
44    Anthony Rizzo    L-L    6'3"    220    Aug 8, 1989
24    Luis Valbuena    L-R    5'10"    195    Nov 30, 1985
#    Outfielders    B/T    Ht    Wt    DOB
1    Tony Campana    L-L    5'8"    165    May 30, 1986
9    David DeJesus    L-L    5'11"    190    Dec 20, 1979
5    Reed Johnson    R-R    5'10"    180    Dec 8, 1976
6    Bryan LaHair    L-R    6'5"    240    Nov 5, 1982
21    Joe Mather    R-R    6'4"    215    Jul 23, 1982
12    Alfonso Soriano    R-R    6'1"    195    Jan 7, 1976
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »
The Rangers are done...

That is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
Braves get Paul Maholm.  Left handed pitcher who was 9-6 with the Cubs.  Looks like a solid pick up as they needed a lefty in their starting rotation.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
Braves get Paul Maholm.  Left handed pitcher who was 9-6 with the Cubs.  Looks like a solid pick up as they needed a lefty in their starting rotation.

And the Cubs got a bag of magic beans, I assume?

edit:  Fuckity fuckity fuck!  Maholm and Reed Johnson for a pair of prospects? 
Then proceed to trade Geo Soto to the Rangers for a minor league pitcher?

Fuck this, the Cubs are dead to me now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:51:01 AM by Buzz Killington »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
And the Cubs got a bag of magic beans, I assume?

edit:  Fuckity fuckity fuck!  Maholm and Reed Johnson for a pair of prospects? 
Then proceed to trade Geo Soto to the Rangers for a minor league pitcher?

Fuck this, the Cubs are dead to me now.

All is not lost.  I watched an episode of Undercover Boss where one of your owners disguised himself and worked with the guy who cleaned the bathrooms, a hot dog vendor, the grounds crew and a parking lot attendant.  He really got some good insight and they were going to make a lot of improvements for their employees, including a new trailor for the parking lot guy....complete with heat and A/C.

So, the work force at Wrigley is a really tight knit family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
All is not lost.  I watched an episode of Undercover Boss where one of your owners disguised himself and worked with the guy who cleaned the bathrooms, a hot dog vendor, the grounds crew and a parking lot attendant.  He really got some good insight and they were going to make a lot of improvements for their employees, including a new trailor for the parking lot guy....complete with heat and A/C.

So, the work force at Wrigley is a really tight knit family.

Dammit...just when I finally pulled the bandage off, they find a way to pull me back in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »
So, the Cubs picked up a prospect who had season ending Tommy John surgery?

#winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
So, the Cubs picked up a prospect who had season ending Tommy John surgery?

#winning

Thank you Theo!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
Getting rid of Johnson is not that bad a thing since he's 35.  But, it certainly looks like the Cubs didn't get much in return.  Are they unloading some salaries? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
Getting rid of Johnson is not that bad a thing since he's 35.  But, it certainly looks like the Cubs didn't get much in return.  Are they unloading some salaries?

Yes, if they can get rid of Dempster and Soriano to the Dodgers they will really free up some money to hopefully make a few good moves for the future.  Somebody should be drawn and quartered for the contract they gave to Soriano.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
Yes, if they can get rid of Dempster and Soriano to the Dodgers they will really free up some money to hopefully make a few good moves for the future.  Somebody should be drawn and quartered for the contract they gave to Soriano.

Soriano is 36 and Dempster is 35.  Otherwise, it's a pretty young team overall.  If you can dump all 4 salaries, no reason why they can't bring some big time talent in.  I think this off-season is where you find out if Theo has still got it.  I have to think they knew what they had and have been biding their time to get through this season and then reload.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »
The O's are trying to deal for Joe Blanton from the Phils, it was off this morning, but it looks like they may give up a couple of no impact prospects to get Blanton.  Not sure how I feel about that.  I would rather them deal for Vargas out of Seattle.  IF the Blanton deal falls through, it looks like they will get Vargas. 

Thome is out for a stretch but with Davis filling his role I don't look for any move on that front.  Roberts is out for the season as he decided to have hip surgery, but it looks like Robert Andino is coming back and Omar Quintanilla has been hot so this will be interesting.  If Thome stays on the DL they can keep both and Ryan Flaherty without having to option one of Andino or Quintanilla to the minors.  If they take Ryan Flaherty off the 25 man roster then he gets offered back to the Cubs for $25K. We did sign several young free agents in the past couple of weeks, but I don't know what their future holds.  We shall see what happens. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
The O's are trying to deal for Joe Blanton from the Phils, it was off this morning, but it looks like they may give up a couple of no impact prospects to get Blanton.  Not sure how I feel about that.  I would rather them deal for Vargas out of Seattle.  IF the Blanton deal falls through, it looks like they will get Vargas. 

Thome is out for a stretch but with Davis filling his role I don't look for any move on that front.  Roberts is out for the season as he decided to have hip surgery, but it looks like Robert Andino is coming back and Omar Quintanilla has been hot so this will be interesting.  If Thome stays on the DL they can keep both and Ryan Flaherty without having to option one of Andino or Quintanilla to the minors.  If they take Ryan Flaherty off the 25 man roster then he gets offered back to the Cubs for $25K. We did sign several young free agents in the past couple of weeks, but I don't know what their future holds.  We shall see what happens.

AU1 bringing the in-depth O's analysis.  Not something you see every day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I stick with, follow and keep up with my teams no matter how good or bad. 

The O's are actually pretty decent this year with a rag tag group being the starting rotation.  Which leads me to believe some of the younger guys are buying into what Buck is teaching/preaching, but the front office needs to open their eyes and go after some top notch pitching.  It's sad when you lose a game 9 to 7 or 8 to 5.  If you can put up those numbers all you need is good pitching to slow the other team down and you will win 8 of 10.  The O's seem to fail miserably at getting that point or buying pitching.  2 games back in the wild card and 6.5 back in the division could be easily overcome with some better pitching.   Just sayin......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
I stick with, follow and keep up with my teams no matter how good or bad. 

The O's are actually pretty decent this year with a rag tag group being the starting rotation.  Which leads me to believe some of the younger guys are buying into what Buck is teaching/preaching, but the front office needs to open their eyes and go after some top notch pitching.  It's sad when you lose a game 9 to 7 or 8 to 5.  If you can put up those numbers all you need is good pitching to slow the other team down and you will win 8 of 10.  The O's seem to fail miserably at getting that point or buying pitching.  2 games back in the wild card and 6.5 back in the division could be easily overcome with some better pitching.   Just sayin......

All good bro. Was more laughing at Snag's witty response moreso than your love of the Oreos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE